Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby John T » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:00 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Wow! John! That bear barrier is really nifty!

How long do the batteries usually last and what kind are they? Are the batteries rechargable?

I would worry that a child might touch it or run into it. What precautions do they recommend for that?

It uses D batteries. One set of batteries has held up just fine on a two trip before I recharged them when getting home. The unit did not come with batteries, I just used rechargeable batteries I already had.

I am not sure they make any recommendations for kids. When I am in camp grounds I tend stay up till 11 or 12 after the kids are out cold and I am out of the tent by 7am to turn it off before anyone comes near. I do tell the ranger on site I have it in case they need to approach.

I touched it once just to check the power hit. It does give a good shock. I would say it is pretty close to a normal electric fence. It did not burn any hair off my body, but I remember the hit.
John T
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gaelen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:57 pm

$299 is a lot of cash to spend on 'protection', especially when you're not in bear country... :shock:

I think I'll just continue to rely on planning and highly developed situational awareness for those human safety concerns...
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:22 pm

Gaelen wrote:
I think I'll just continue to rely on planning and highly developed situational awareness for those human safety concerns...

And maybe the bear spray? I'm considering getting some of that! I think that could fend off any kind of big critter. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hiker chick » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:31 pm

A recommended home security strategy is to put a large dog bowl and other items such as a Beware of Dog sign or sterilized bone on your back patio to indicate that you have a large dog.

Same tactic could be used for the teardrop. Put outside your teardrop door a water bowl that's clearly for dogs (with a paw image or some such on it) and hook a dog chain to the picnic table.

When I worked in the Oregon State Parks years ago I learned to scan every campsite for dog chains before approaching. Unfortunately, I did not know about the Irish Setter that would come flying out of a Winnebego at me when its owner opened the door.

Another must-have for any woman whether in their teardrop or hiking is to have a super loud whistle. REI and other outdoor stores sell very loud whistles. Good to have one in the car, too, in case you ever drove off the road and needed to make yourself heard.

:o
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:15 pm

hiker chick wrote:A recommended home security strategy is to put a large dog bowl and other items such as a Beware of Dog sign or sterilized bone on your back patio to indicate that you have a large dog.

Same tactic could be used for the teardrop. Put outside your teardrop door a water bowl that's clearly for dogs (with a paw image or some such on it) and hook a dog chain to the picnic table.

When I worked in the Oregon State Parks years ago I learned to scan every campsite for dog chains before approaching. Unfortunately, I did not know about the Irish Setter that would come flying out of a Winnebego at me when its owner opened the door.

Another must-have for any woman whether in their teardrop or hiking is to have a super loud whistle. REI and other outdoor stores sell very loud whistles. Good to have one in the car, too, in case you ever drove off the road and needed to make yourself heard.

:o

Ahhh...good ideas! I like the dog bowl/chain one. I think I'll use that one and be sure and bang up the bowl a little...add a few bite marks for added affect.

I do keep an air-horn in my camper but never had to use it. My next purchase is going to be that Bear Spray you talked about. I read some testimonials on it and it made me a believer.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby tinytrailer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:38 am

I mostly camp alone. I stick with the FL state parks and have never had a problem. The rangers patrol all night and I do let them know I am alone when I check in for the weekend.
tinytrailer
Teardrop Master

Sercurity and Self-reliance

Postby ZendoDeb » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:23 pm

I sail alone most of the time. I live on my boat - when I'm not exiled to Illinois - and I have filled it up to the point that having a guest is a bit of struggle. (37 ft isn't as big as it sounds)

Single handing means being prepared for anything, from fires -3 extinguishers, one I can reach from my bunk- to cuts, or injuries.

Being prepared also includes a revolver loaded with .357 hollow points and mace/pepper spray - both I can reach without getting out of bed. It also includes a 12-gauge loaded with buckshot, but I actually do have to get out bed to reach that.

You can't call 911 and hope to be rescued, and out past about 15 miles, you might not even be able to call for help.

Camping wouldn't change the parameters much. Though there are probably restrictions on carrying firearms. Bear spray sounds good. When I was a kid, my family usually camped in fairly popular campgrounds, and state parks. I've done some back country hiking and canoeing - though that was many years ago. But even with a cellphone, calling for help may involve a lot of waiting.

I always thought the cellphones were most useful for calling the police and telling them you just shot your attacker. (And yes, I do have a concealed carry permit, though it does no good when I am visiting the Peoples Republic of Illinois.
"Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them.... The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final anchorage." - Arthur Ransome: Racundra's First Cruise, 1923
ZendoDeb
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Cell phones don't always work when you're at a campground...or just going for a ride in the mountains...or in a valley...or....whatever. Cell phones are dependable mostly only in the city. That's if your batteries aren't dead and there isn't a train or truck going by. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby savano » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi everyone, I've been away for awhile and just now found this. I took my last final last Friday. This is great that we have are own little corner where we can chit chat. Thank you Mike, MJ and everyone else who made this possible.

I camp alone almost all of the time, except at gatherings. My first line of protection is my killer chihuahua. She is a great alarm dog, letting me know when some one is nearby, during the day and night also. I will not be specific about other protection, but all of it has been discussed in previous posts. I have not boondocked with my TD alone. I might try it someday.

I have been solo camping, hiking, backpacking all of my adult life and never ever felt threatened by another human. There have been times when I was threatened by my own stupidity and bad decisions. I try to always be aware of my surroundings, who is in the campground, where facilities are, make friends with camp hosts and rangers. If I feel uncomfortable (many times not knowing why), I leave. Sometimes this means finding a motel room. :oops:

During my younger crazier days (1970's) I backpacked solo inside the Grand Canyon many times. I did some very risky remote trails, sometimes not seeing anyone for a couple of days. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Now days the park keeps better track of solo hikers than back in the day.
Sally
savano
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joanne » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:01 pm

savano wrote:Hi everyone, I've been away for awhile and just now found this. I took my last final last Friday. This is great that we have are own little corner where we can chit chat. Thank you Mike, MJ and everyone else who made this possible.

I camp alone almost all of the time, except at gatherings. My first line of protection is my killer chihuahua. She is a great alarm dog, letting me know when some one is nearby, during the day and night also. I will not be specific about other protection, but all of it has been discussed in previous posts. I have not boondocked with my TD alone. I might try it someday.

I have been solo camping, hiking, backpacking all of my adult life and never ever felt threatened by another human. There have been times when I was threatened by my own stupidity and bad decisions. I try to always be aware of my surroundings, who is in the campground, where facilities are, make friends with camp hosts and rangers. If I feel uncomfortable (many times not knowing why), I leave. Sometimes this means finding a motel room. :oops:

During my younger crazier days (1970's) I backpacked solo inside the Grand Canyon many times. I did some very risky remote trails, sometimes not seeing anyone for a couple of days. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Now days the park keeps better track of solo hikers than back in the day.

Sally!!!

How have you been?? Good to see a post from you again! I haven't heard much from you since the IRG and was wondering how you have been. Hopefully we can get together next year and do a camping trip. North Rim maybe?? It's been a few years since I've been up there and would like to get up there again.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby savano » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Yes, Joanne, North Rim for sure. Good place to cool off in the summer. And you could show me the ropes of boondocking!

I just finished 4 art classes at the community college. Whew! it's been awhile since I've tackled 4 classes at once. But I survived. Last weekend I rented 5 movies and ate ice cream to celebrate.

Maybe we could have the First Annual North Rim Boondocking Lady Teardropper Gathering. Very informal. We set a date and see who shows up. Oh, and the guys and kids are invited too.

Has a Lady Teardropper Gathering already been done?
Sally
savano
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:00 pm

:thumbsup: Hi Sally! Nice to see you back. We haven't had a Lady Teardroppers gathering yet 8)

Funny the country doesn't look that big until I look at Google maps for a camp ground. :? Everything is so far away!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby dakotamouse » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 am

Hey gals, Great topic with lots of good tips. I look forward to camping by myself someday. I don't think that is going to happen till I'm a widow. Don't worry I'm not planning to knock off the hubby or anything like that! :lol: My hubby trys to squeeze in as many camping days as possible. He'd be hurt if I left him at home.

I'm not saying that crime never happens in North Dakota but I wouldn't hesitate to camp alone in any of our parks. The worst problem we've ever had were too loud and too late noisy parties. I make it a point to jot down the phone number of the park ranger should I need to call to make a complaint.

Cooler theft is a possibility. Kids..temptation..nuff said.

I like the ideas about the car panic button and the bear spray. The bear spray for two legged critters and for real bears. If a bear really wanted into a teardrop I bet he could rip into it like it was nothing more than a potato chip bag. A blast of bear spray would be a really good idea.

hmmm and the photo shopped picture...who am I to judge. I got a reputation for having an always full martini glass at IRG2. Not necessarily a martini in it .....wine, margaritta, rum.... :tipsy:

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:52 pm

dakotamouse wrote: If a bear really wanted into a teardrop I bet he could rip into it like it was nothing more than a potato chip bag. A blast of bear spray would be a really good idea.

The very thought of that makes me get the chills. That's why I could never camp in bear country...I wouldn't have to play dead - I would die of fright.

Hey, are you snowed in? Heard on the news that the Dakota's were having a nasty snow storm. Hope ya'll are warm and safe.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:18 pm

I like the idea of a Ladys Teardropper gathering. Miriam is correct though that the USA is mighty big and it would be hard to have a central meeting place. I would love it though. I can just picture all of us sitting around and really getting to visit!
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers