Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby robertaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Suanne ... that's a nice set-up! It certainly looks comfy enough. It would be safe enough since you could just climb into the driver's seat and take off in the case of trouble.

The thing that creeps me out about sleeping in a car is that anyone can walk up and look at you through the windows. But since you have that covered it seems like a cozy little home on wheels.

Now you have me wanting to go out and see if such a setup is feesible in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. :lol:
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby hiker chick » Thu May 13, 2010 10:03 am

Was going to put this in the "Camping Secrets" thread but my motivation for buying this bit of camping gear is as much related to self-defense as camping or auto use, so remembered this dormant thread in the Lady Teardropper's section. For fire-tending at camp, I've been using a small folding shovel. I just this morning ordered this "Cold Steel" brand shovel below because it's far more substantial and utilitarian (for instance, it can be used as an axe and made knife-sharp). It doesn't fold.

Will be storing it in the Element, within reach of the driver's seat.

Anything that can be used as an axe has self-defense application. And it's legal to carry. Not even DC has banned shovels. And, oh yes, it can dig.

$34 with the sheath, plus shipping. That's direct from the manufacturer. Amazon and others carry them, too. There's an impressive video at this link.

http://www.coldsteel.com/spshovel.html

"The Special Forces Shovel is modeled after the original Soviet Spetznaz shovel. The Spetznaz soldiers made up the most elite unit in the Soviet Army. The U.S. equivalent would be our Green Berets. The shovel head and socket are forged from medium carbon steel, then heat treated for maximum strength. The edges come sharpened to a utility/axe edge that can easily be improved to razor sharpness. The Special Forces Shovel comes complete with a specially made cordura sheath. The sheath features an extra wide belt loop. The sheath and the shovel are available for sale as a stand alone items."

What other items do you Lady Teardroppers carry in your vehicles that have self-defense as well as other applications?

I have within reach of the driver's seat a hickory tire knocker from Duluth Trading and a baseball bat. When we go camping there's also an axe nearby.

(I must remember never to roll the car, lest I or passengers be impaled by these items.)

Gives me some comfort to know that if a threatening situation arises, there's something formidable that I can grab.

;)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby F3RR3T » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:41 am

this was a concern for the x-fiance. She used to camp when she went out of state to see family. Took her to get her CCW and a Nice Kimber 1911 in .45.
F3RR3T
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve smoot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:54 am

F3RR3T wrote:this was a concern for the x-fiance. She used to camp when she went out of state to see family. Took her to get her CCW and a Nice Kimber 1911 in .45.

No no NO...never let an "X" be anywhere near a ".45" anything... :o
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:43 pm

steve smoot wrote:
F3RR3T wrote:this was a concern for the x-fiance. She used to camp when she went out of state to see family. Took her to get her CCW and a Nice Kimber 1911 in .45.

:lol: :lol: Ohmygosh...That is too funny!!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Speaking of .45's, that's our bedside protection. I like my .38 as my personal companion. I use my head around firearms and have tremendous respect for them but I don't fear them...unless one's pointed at me - then I'd probably have to change my pants! :oops:

As far as protection in my camper, I like my machette but I think using my voice and acting like a total psycho goes a long way too. I've had to do that twice and it worked both times (thank God!).
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 am

CAJUN LADY wrote:
steve smoot wrote:

:lol: :lol: Ohmygosh...That is too funny!!

Becca, you have to look at at from mt perspective...I have an "X" that was head of security for a large corp in Tenn that has a carry permit and when she comes to visit the daughter, I make plans to be elsewhere... :lol:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby legojenn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:58 am

Something must be wrong with me. I don't take anything with me that might be considered a weapon, except for my dogs. Eastern Ontario, western Quebec, Vermont and northern New York just don't seem like places where one needs to fear for their safety. I don't think I would like to live or camp where I needed "protection".
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:43 am

legojenn wrote:Something must be wrong with me. I don't take anything with me that might be considered a weapon, except for my dogs. Eastern Ontario, western Quebec, Vermont and northern New York just don't seem like places where one needs to fear for their safety. I don't think I would like to live or camp where I needed "protection".

Jenn, I don't camp where I need protection either but I always have protection when traveling to and from my camping destination strictly for personal security and peace of mind. The campgrounds are safe, honestly, but it's traveling and stopping at rest stops, service stations, etc. that makes me look at people in a different light. And another thing, no one at the campground knows that I have a concealed weapon (legal permit to carry). I don't talk about it and NEVER show it...it stays in the vehicle for travel only. Now the machette, well, that's basically to scare those masked 4 legged bandits away from my goodies. I wouldn't harm one unless it trys to steal my Oreo's. ;) (kiddddding)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:32 am

Oreos are serious bidness!!

:lol:

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:49 am

legojenn wrote:Something must be wrong with me. I don't take anything with me that might be considered a weapon, except for my dogs. Eastern Ontario, western Quebec, Vermont and northern New York just don't seem like places where one needs to fear for their safety. I don't think I would like to live or camp where I needed "protection".

I think in todays world you must be aware and prepared no matter where you are. Theft and worse happens in parks, churches, stores, parking lots all over the world. Boy Scout Motto....Be Prepared
I would rather have protection at my side and never need or use it than NEED it and not have it
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Ratkity wrote:Oreos are serious bidness!!

:lol:

Hugs,
Ratkity

:thumbsup: :yes:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby LoriCz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Unless I skipped a page... how come no one has mentioned the panic button on their car keys?

If someone seemed to be around my camper at night, I'd hit that alarm. Sure, it would wake up the neighbors, but me shooting a gun might too....
LoriCz
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Unless I skipped a page... how come no one has mentioned the panic button on their car keys?

Maybe people think that's a given. I like to use my panic button for possible bears but, often, you don't know someone or something is lurking until they come to your door.

One time, I left a cantaloupe in the enclosed back of my truck; but, I wasn't worried as bears were not known to be a problem there; plus, I set my truck's alarm and figured that if a bear even jiggled the truck, it would go off and scare it away. Add to that, I was camping with a German Sheppard dog with a healthy bark.

When I got up the next morning, the cantaloupe had been half eaten by a chipmunk and there was a big bear paw print on the side of the truck. :lol:
(Oh, and my tire was flat...go figure.)
Last edited by S. Heisley on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:23 pm

LoriCz wrote:Unless I skipped a page... how come no one has mentioned the panic button on their car keys?

If someone seemed to be around my camper at night, I'd hit that alarm. Sure, it would wake up the neighbors, but me shooting a gun might too....

:thumbsup: :lol: Course in some places they would shoot you for setting it off...... :R Just teasin and that is a good idea! Might even scare the bears off.

One other thing, how will you know if the people who come to your rescue are not the people who caused you to set it off in the first place.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers