Weight loss tips anyone.

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Eunice » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:21 pm

Miriam C. wrote:
martha24 wrote:Miriam,
---Snip snip snip---

Now if I were rich I could just hire someone to prepare all the healthy meals and create portions where I didn't feel like I were starving, that would make losing weight easier. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :twisted: Now wouldn't that be fun! And a personal trainer to come over---tell everything to go away and make time for exercise. btw---I am not into sweating for nothing. :(

nice idea but it didnt work for Oprah! :cry: Wish I had a magic pill. The older I get the more things change for me. Each time I want to lose I just have to try something and see if it will work.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby tinksdad » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:26 pm

Arne wrote:My routine is simple. swimming for upper body, and geocaching(basically a 2-3 mile walk in the woods even during the winter) for lower body. I do have a 'total gym 1000' in my office which I use while my computer is doing long runs or backing up.

:lol: :lol: :? :shock:
Just did a 5/5 in SW Tennessee today that was 10.2 miles!! All for the sake of a "smiley". I'll probably be in physical therapy for a week!!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:49 pm

I'm On the ELF diet
(Eat Less Food)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:26 pm

One way to reduce calorie intake when at a fast food restaurant (lunch) is to order only one sandwich from the dollar menu and a water. I've been doing it for years and it's easy to get accustomed to and you'll save some dough too. I do have 3 meals and 3 snacks every day because of hypoglycemia, it's also helpful for those who don't have my condition. A large bowl of whole grain cereal with raisins, dates almonds & a banana starts my day. When I was a teen the dollar menu was the size of the regular sized hamburgers. I heard or read that moderately eating the same foods every day will eventually bring your weight down. Stay away from comfort food. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby martha24 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:29 am

Ken&Eunice wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:
martha24 wrote:Miriam,
---Snip snip snip---

Now if I were rich I could just hire someone to prepare all the healthy meals and create portions where I didn't feel like I were starving, that would make losing weight easier. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :twisted: Now wouldn't that be fun! And a personal trainer to come over---tell everything to go away and make time for exercise. btw---I am not into sweating for nothing. :(

nice idea but it didnt work for Oprah! :cry: Wish I had a magic pill. The older I get the more things change for me. Each time I want to lose I just have to try something and see if it will work.

It seemed like it worked for quite a while for Oprah. I don't watch her (or day time TV for that matter) so I don't know when she started putting weight on, but she still doesn't look as heavy as she used to. I think it goes to show how hard it is to break food habits. Unfortunately some of my most favorite foods aren't in the healthy category. :roll:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:48 am

Miriam,
if you can eat more vegetables and fruits, and *less* starches (including fewer whole grains! The USDA food pyramid is NOT meant for everybody, and the amount of grain-based carbs they recommend is roughly the same as you'll find in feedlot rations to fatten cattle and swine for slaughter) it will help.

Good things to add:
green veggies (spinach, collards, kale, cabbage)
root veggies (carrots, radishes, celerian)
yellow veggies (squash, including pumpkins)
sprouts (bean and/or alfalfa as well as brussels)
skim or 2% milk instead of whole

Nuts and legumes -- almonds, peas, beans, peanuts, coconut, some cashew / pistachio / macadamia, pecans

Fruit:
Citrus (orange, lime, grapefruit) -- not just the juice, the pulp contains fiber
berries (strawberry and blueberry are especially good for you)
apples, pears, pineapple, peaches / apricots, nectarines
raisins, prunes, dried cranberries (get unsweetened)

Don't deny yourself meat. Learn to use it as a flavoring/seasoning instead of the 'main event' -- stews, soups, casseroles are all good ways to add more veggies to your diet without making you feel deprived.

And every time you succeed in a weight-loss goal, reward yourself with something that isn't food.

Some other tips:

more water -- an 8 oz glass at least 4 times a day

for a snack have a glass of juice -- tomato or vegetable-mix or even citrus juice (orange, pineapple, grapefruit)

more movement -- seriously; park out where you would if you didn't want your brand-new vehicle dinged up with careless people's doors.

take the stairs *down* (it's easier on hips and knees and ankles than up).

build gradually toward a goal -- say, a ten-minute mile without running.

don't give up. One dish of ice cream or slice of cheesecake is NOT a disaster. One steak is NOT the end of the world.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:01 am

Hi Aunie M, Is it OK for me to post in this section? My name is Miss Roly......Ha ha.
The sweet wife and I only eat 2 meals a day, only cereal for breakfast and a good, healthy meal at lunch. No supper, maybe some popcorn. I guess this is my fault because I now do all of the cooking, (so clean up my kitchen!).......Works for me and my beautiful highschool sophmore trophy.........Ta Da!
Roly 8) ;) :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:16 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Hi Aunie M, Is it OK for me to post in this section? My name is Miss Roly......Ha ha.
The sweet wife and I only eat 2 meals a day, only cereal for breakfast and a good, healthy meal at lunch. No supper, maybe some popcorn. I guess this is my fault because I now do all of the cooking, (so clean up my kitchen!).......Works for me and my beautiful highschool sophmore trophy.........Ta Da!
Roly 8) ;) :thumbsup:

:lol: :thumbsup: Thanks MS Roly!

One thing, I do not do milk or eggs and most deserts have one or both. I eat lots of veggies and will try to add protein to every meal, though it may be peanut butter...............

a ten minute mile :shock: :? :lol: Keep em coming. I am not the only one listening. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 am

Auntie M, I need (and want to) lose about 25lbs to get back toward normal. Since winter ( and retirement) has arrived, I'm not getting out to excercise as much as in the warmer weather.

In warm weather, the walking (at least one hour), kayaking , and bike riding is fun to do and it helps burn off the food calories that I take in.

As someone else said; don't park near the entrance to the stores, keep a radio handy and walk more. Sometimes (last year) I stopped by the local park and took a walk for 30 minutes or so.
All of this extra excercise has to be a "good thing".

I like to do workouts to music. Pick a song (or artist) wth a good up pace beat and do 5 minutes of motion at least 4 times a day. It's not great for a cardio workout but the 20 minutes a day has to help me. So far I can see a slight difference and am determined to do more.

I think three things are essemtail. #1 - a scale, #2- a mirror, #3- a goal and #4 -determination :twisted:

As was also said; what works for one person might not work for another.

Good luck.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Geron » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:20 am

I remember my Dad's advice:

Less elbow bending
More knee bending

:lol: ;)
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:21 pm

[quote="Kurt (Indiana)"]... I like to do workouts to music. Pick a song (or artist) wth a good up pace beat and do 5 minutes of motion at least 4 times a day. [quote]

Someone listed this site in another post. http://www.mymusicmaker.com/

If you like certain up-beat songs to exercise to, go to this site and have them all put on one custom CD. You can use the CD at home and convert the CD to MP3 format for your MP3 player when you go walking...that's assuming you have a MP3 player. My cell phone will play anything in MP3 format.

BTW, pineapple is not only delicious, but it keeps you regular and that is important for weight loss.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Here's what I use at home for getting music. "The Radio" can find just about any artist or song if you search for it. Give it a try
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:52 pm

If anybody has a tape of the soundtrack from the original 1986 "The Delta Force," I'll pay for a copy on CD and shipping. My tape finally broke, and that was the workout music that worked best.
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Laredo wrote:If anybody has a tape of the soundtrack from the original 1986 "The Delta Force," I'll pay for a copy on CD and shipping. My tape finally broke, and that was the workout music that worked best.

Should be able to down load from this site..

Not sure how long each same runs but yo can give it a shot. :thumbsup:

The CD is $19.99
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:15 pm

thanks, that's what I need -- there are only 3 tracks but they're the long ones and very similar in sound.
Considering I've had that original tape since 1987, I got good mileage out of it.
Laredo
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers