Teardrop Mattress ???

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Teardrop Mattress ???

Postby eveningprimrose » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Our teardrop came with the fold-up foam mattress. We didn't think we'd like it, so we put the air mattress that we used for tent camping in there, with a one inch memory foam topper. Oh man...it is so comfortable. But, it has to be aired-up every night. And, it seems that we never remember to air it up, until we're tucked into bed. Then DH has to get up and go around to the galley side, and air-up the mattress. We've been through probably ten air mattresses through the years, and have never found one that didn't need to be aired-up, nightly.

We went out for one night, and decided to try the fold-up that came with it. We put the memory foam topper on it. It was okay...just okay. It was not as "luxurious" as the air mattress with the memory foam.

So, I was wondering what you ladies use for your mattresses. What suggestions do you have? If you know of any air-mattresses that don't have to be aired-up every night, I would appreciate that info, too. BTW, we can't use the "double high" air mattresses, in the teardrop...just standard height...queen size.
Last edited by eveningprimrose on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:16 am

Dear,

While I do understand that your question was gender biased, I have a suggestion that might warrant some thought.

Why not put a real innerspring mattress in the LittleGuy? Have one in the last trailer I built and really prefer it over all the other camper beds we have tried.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby eveningprimrose » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:22 am

Steve,

I guess my question was a little "sexist" because I know that men have mattress preferences, too. :oops:

I have thought about a real mattress. With your recommendation, I may have to think about it more. We certainly wouldn't have to air it up.

There's actually a furniture store not far from here, that sells new mattresses (without the box springs), for drastically reduced prices. We may have to check that out.

Thanks! :)
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:51 am

Walmart has a memory foam mattress that is very comfortable, and not too expensive. I have a different one and it is like a rock so you want to test drive it. Also futon mattresses seem to be getting more comfortable.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:48 am

...another guy chiming in here...we have a 4" hi-density furniture(2.5#sqft) foam mattress with a 2" memfoam topper and both the wife and I find it to be as comfortable as any mattress we have ever tried...one of the big pluses in such is the ability to fold it up for removal........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby boomboomtulum » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am

We use a Futon Mattress from IKEA, with a 2"thick mattress pad from WM. Ahhh... a good night sleep to be had.

Dave
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=37109

Have'nt been everywhere yet, but it's on my list.
boomboomtulum
Teardrop Master

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:02 am

Love my Walmart 8" mattress. Comes with a cover.

Can be cut if your interior is not 60" x 80".

Best $225 I ever spent as getting a great night sleep was half the reason for building the td, the other half of course was getting an awesome camp kitchen too!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eveningprimrose » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Now I've got to get hubby to look at this thread, so he can help me decide. :thinking:
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby robertaw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:18 pm

The only air mattress I've ever had that didn't need air nightly are the original Aero-beds. I have two queen size ones that I got before they even came out with the thick ones. I think they are about 9 years old.

One stays on our bed at home and we sleep on it every night. It needs air only about once a week. They have been through years of being romped on by kids and dogs in various places and have never needed repair. I don't know if the new ones are still made as sturdy as these but we've gotten our money's worth from them.
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby nevadatear » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:53 pm

I, too love my walmart foam matteress. Mine is the 6" which i s 4" foam with 2" memory foam on top. It is better than my home one. I would second roberta, if you really like the air matteress, then the aerobed is the way to go. We have one in our spare room and have only reaired it up once, and it stays inflatted all the time in the room.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Barb & Debbie -

Could you ladies please post links to the Wal-mart mattresses you have? I went to their site and there are like a gazillion mattress choices.

I want to get a foam one for my trailer as I've heard some of them are as back and spine friendly as an air mattress. But I know there are huge differences in foam so would like to have have some leads on ones I know other people find comfy.

Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby nevadatear » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:27 pm

Sure, here's the one I got. My husband thinks it is a little firm, although he sleeps just fine on it, but it is the only matteress that doesn't hurt my back.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10152213

I have the queen, but cut it down by about two inches on the side to make it easier to make in the teardrop.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:58 pm

nevadatear wrote:Sure, here's the one I got.

Thanks Debbie! :D
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby eveningprimrose » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 pm

robertaw wrote:Barb & Debbie -

Could you ladies please post links to the Wal-mart mattresses you have? I went to their site and there are like a gazillion mattress choices.

Yes, I had that problem too. :lol: There was one 12" memory foam mattress that had four reviews, and all four gave it 5-stars (out of five). I was very confused though, because as Roberta said, there ARE a gazillion mattresses on there. THANKS DEBBIE!
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby Jason and Amanda » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:08 pm

We just got the Walmart mattress too and recommend it highly. I got the queen size 8" memory foam mattress and it's a little tall but I still don't hit my head on the roof when sitting upright. My little guy is a 5 x 8 and we had to cut about 1.5" off the side of the mattress and about 4.5" off the end. Then I just rolled it up and cargo strapped the mattress in a roll and stuck it in the trailer and unrolled it, works wonderful!
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers