How Important is the Kitchen to a Teardropper?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby satch » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 am

NWsage wrote:
satch wrote:Piglet, just has a deck, with a small storage cabnet. I'm lucky to have room for a cup of coffee.

Rick, I love your Piglet ... how wide/long is she? How much does she weigh? I've been debating building a small tear for solo camping (or just keep sleeping in my Prius).

Like many, I don't do much more than boil water in the galley. It typically serves as the storage area for my "kitchen" which extends to a table(s) where I do most of the prep and cooking.

In addition to the splatter clean-up that I want to avoid in the galley, I don't want to attact wildlife (bears) to the teardrop.

She's about 80" long by 41" wide (75x 39 sleeping area) She was built for weekend shots, but me and my 10yr old daughter slept fine in it on Halloween weekend. As far as wieght, I have'nt wieghed her yet, but I don't think she's more than 700lbs, loaded.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:40 pm

caseydog wrote:
Oasis Maker wrote:(Besides, I would wack my head on the hatch even if I did try to stand back there and cook.)

I was too tall for my Little Guy hatch when open, so I moved the bottom bracket of the struts about three inches, and it made my hatch open higher, without effecting how it closed. You might want to try that even if you don't cook back there.

CD

Thanks for that tip CD. You of all Avatar's should appreciate this. But the first time I wacked my head on those Little Guy hinges I was confused as to what happened. The second time it drew blood and I cursed the damn thing. From then on, Pavlov's Dog's principle has been in full effect! (Betcha know all about that though huh, CaseyDog?) :lol:

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lynn Coleman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:43 am

Since we don't have a TD but have a TTT my answers about the galley may not meet your needs but here's how we've gone about it. Oh, for reference we've done Tent camping for years and we had a pop-up as well.

We can cook inside the trailer if the weather is bad. However, we prefer to cook outside, so our propane stove is stored on a shelf and set up on site on the picnic table.

We cook with the stove, we cook over the fire and we use a crock-pot.

I mention the crock-pot because I haven't seen that posted yet. Here's the thing about the crock-pot, you can leave it cooking all day while you are out exploring the area. We actually have two crock-pots, one large and one small. The small one fits behind the seat in our truck and when we have full days of travel ahead of us, we'll cook while we travel. Then when we arrive dinner is ready.

I use the stove to heat water for coffee(for hubby) and hot water for washing dishes and clean up.

We have a small fridge in the trailer but we also bring two coolers. One for drinks or whatever we use a lot of in a day, the other for the items that need to stay frozen or colder longer. We always slide them under the trailer to help keep the sun off of them.

We prefer fresh meats and veggies so we tend to bring more than most. There's a thread on coolers and it's packed with tons of useful information imho.

I still haven't purchased a cast iron dutch oven yet. And while I want one, I haven't been really in "need" of one...yet. I do have a cast-iron skillet for cooking over the fire with as well as on the stove.

I've also been seriously looking at the Coleman hot water heater as well as the Coleman oven. But as of right now, we haven't decided to buy them yet.

I've also found that not only is each camper's needs unique to them but that even different camping weekends have different needs as well. The last outing, I didn't need to cook dinner, lunch was sandwiches, breakfast was boiled water to cook the oatmeal. It was a short weekend and didn't warrant the coolers and everything else. So, I'd say pack according to your needs and that includes teen boys.

Lynn
who used to have two teen boys who ate a ton while camping
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:33 am

Lynn Coleman wrote:
I mention the crock-pot because I haven't seen that posted yet. Here's the thing about the crock-pot, you can leave it cooking all day while you are out exploring the area. We actually have two crock-pots, one large and one small. The small one fits behind the seat in our truck and when we have full days of travel ahead of us, we'll cook while we travel. Then when we arrive dinner is ready.

I've also been seriously looking at the Coleman hot water heater as well as the Coleman oven. But as of right now, we haven't decided to buy them yet.

Lynn
who used to have two teen boys who ate a ton while camping

The crock pot is a terrific idea!! We love crock pot meals at home but it has never occured to me to take one camping. Up north we rarely had an electric site but since in FL I've noticed they mostly all have electric.

I'm going to take ours on our next camping trip!

I have kinda sorta wanted a Coleman hot water on demand for a few years now. I've looked at them but not taken the plunge yet.

I do own a coleman oven that I really like. Up north we lived in the mountains and it was always cooler and a bit windy. I had trouble keeping the temperature of the oven as high as I wanted it. Down here in FL that hasn't been a problem. I really like it.

Roberta (who still has two teenage boys at home who eat way more than their sisters did at their age!)
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby hausfrau60 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:05 pm

We've used a crockpot camping many times and it really is very handy. Chili, baked potatoes, even a whole chicken will cook up nicely during the day while you're out. If you use the crockpot liners, cleanup is a snap as well!
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:58 am

I like to be warm before going outside into the cold. So I have my trailer with a kitchen counter up front just inside the door. All dressed and warmed up before going outside into the cold. I like winter camping but need to b e warmed up first before going out.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:36 am

NOVEMBER 6TH

How did I miss this thread.......

A fully functioning galley is all important !!!!! ( TO ME)

I have said it a dozen times "No hot dogs on a stick or burgers for me"

Broiled talapia , steamed veggies with cheese sauce. cold weather is chili or a hearty beef stew. A piping hot hugh loaf of bread in the dutch oven.
a monster meat loaf with a couple baked potatoes. a big bubbling skillet full of sausage gravey over biscuits hot out of the d.o. or maybe the toaster oven. Hot chocolate or a hot cup of coffee or tea. All of this is easily prepared with our little galley.

A little grease splatter here and there oh well !

A little lingering smell of good food well prepared oh well !

I built the galleys for my enjoyment not as a photo op and I use it. :coffee:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:01 am

I will have the chuck wagon functional by our hoosier spring gathering.

Now if you want to talk about a fully functioning "KITCHEN"

and this is what caused this build !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby len19070 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:26 am

On my Mini-Shasta I built in a 2 way single burner stove.

On the same drawer, it slides out the back,

And slides inside the trailer.

On cold mornings it would warm up the cabin nicely.

I only used it inside to make first morning coffee with ample ventilation.

In warm weather I just use the stove outside.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby hausfrau60 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:03 pm

You all make me want to be a better camp cook! We've had to put our teardrop/cargo trailer on hold for now (two kids in braces took the stuffing right out of my wallet). But ... we were able to find a nice little tent trailer for cheap, and my husband and son made me a really nice chuck box to go with it. I'm finishing it up and when it's done I'll post a photo. I really love it and hope it will give me a nicer little galley to work with. Thanks so much for all your inspiring photos!
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

how do you use your galley

Postby Blumie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 am

"Hausfrau" might want to take a look at my Facebook photo album at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... eef57bf547 for yet another take on functions of a teardrop galley.

We've done more traveling than destination camping with our teardrop so far, and having a functional kitchen counter the moment we raise the lid has been important. We can pull under a shade tree in a town we're passing through, open the galley and make sandwiches & iced tea, and have a 30-minute lunch stop... or make coffee in a roadside rest area. When we use the stove, we usually set it on a Coleman stove stand, a campsite bearbox, or folding table near the galley. Since switching from car camping to teardropping, we have made a concerted effort to use the campsite picnic table, be it next to the parking pad or somewhat removed, as the "dining room" while keeping the "kitchen" functions at the galley. That way the food & dishes & equipment stay put, stay clean, and out of animals' reach (we also generally close the galley lid between meals in camp).
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Re: how do you use your galley

Postby Lynn Coleman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 am

blumie wrote:"Hausfrau" might want to take a look at my Facebook photo album at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... eef57bf547 for yet another take on functions of a teardrop galley.

Nice set of pics in Facebook, Linda. I sent a friend request. :)
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby hausfrau60 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 am

Thank you so much, blumie, for the facebook pics! You've got a really nice setup for travelling, enjoying places along the way. It must be nice to be able to just pull off the road and have your galley easily accessible for quick meals while enjoying the surroundings. My chuck box is almost finished, and I'm imagining putting it in the back of the minivan at the ready for similar little stops. Maybe my van can be like a teardrop with four wheels and an engine! Ya think??
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:12 pm

I built no. 1 w/o a galley, and added it later.... I'd put one in even if you did not outfit it... a basic counter and storage, along with 115v outlet would suffice.... I think you will like having it... leave space for a microwave.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby EventPlanner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:16 pm

madjack wrote:...our galley is for storage only...I don't want all the splatters/grease/cooking smells/ect in the galley...I use a couple of portable tables or the campground picnic table to cook on...I can set up a full kitchen with plenty of room that way and not be limited to just the galley area...once again, the nicest things about teardrops is the ability to doit your own customized way..............
madjack 8)

I agree, I don't want to cook in my galley either (too messy) - simply for prep and storage. I have a Coleman stove and gas grill, but the best things I take are my electric skillet and crock pot. I heat water over the fire to wash my dishes (hang over from my days of tent camping). My husband is tall so enough interior space for a king size bed was more important to us than a fully equipped galley.
EventPlanner
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers