Am I stark raving mad?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Loyal, you must really want to know! Somehow, you managed to post the same thing 3 times! If you go back, I think you'll see a 'delete' button in the upper right corner of your posts and you can delete 1 or 2 of them.

Here's one website that I found that calculates the weight for you, if it's carbon steel:

http://www.portlandbolt.com/steel-plate-weight.html

Here's a table that lists weight in pounds per foot:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/steel ... d_774.html

...There are probably others....

I don't blame you for waiting for trailer lights. It's probably illegal to pull it without them. It sounds like what the original builder did was really nice, albeit probably a bit on the heavy side.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Siouxgirl2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:16 am

Sorry about three posts. I didn't realize that. I have looked for the delete button before and a looking now and still can't find it. I have an "edit" button and a "quote" button.
Siouxgirl2
Teardrop Master

Postby Siouxgirl2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:37 am

This is what I found as averages per linear foot.

1" steel tube = .9182

1x4 lumber = .64
1x3 lumber = .47
Siouxgirl2
Teardrop Master

Postby afreegreek » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:04 am

Siouxgirl2 wrote:Sorry about three posts. I didn't realize that. I have looked for the delete button before and a looking now and still can't find it. I have an "edit" button and a "quote" button.
hit the "edit" button. then select "delete this post".. it's the last option located below the text box you type in. then click "submit". a window will pop up asking you if you're sure you want to.. select "yes"
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:36 am

You usually can't delete after someone else has posted. I have removed the stutters. Sometimes these happen. Usually the submit won't look like it went through and I hit it again........ :oops: Makes for a duplicate. No biggy cause I can delete 8) :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Siouxgirl2 wrote:
This is what I found as averages per linear foot.

1" steel tube = .9182

1x4 lumber = .64
1x3 lumber = .47

There are bound to be variables to whatever you find; but, you might be able to calculate a ball park figure of what your tear weighs. It'll at least give you some idea of how to proceed. I'm assuming the unit doesn't have brakes; so, you might also want to check your tow vehicle's user manual in the brake section to see if there is a weight limit that you can safely tow that way. If you find a limit, it'll usually be a lower amount than what you'll find in the towing section. The link, below, courtesy of another posting by Tinksdad, may also help:

http://www.towshop.com/trailer_suppleme ... g_laws.htm
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers