Does anyone have any decorating tips?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: I can't sleep!

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:47 pm

happy_teardrops wrote:Thought I would check some more things out.

Miriam, I love your ideas. You have done some beautiful quilting here. Are those geese? I've never seen that pattern. It's lovely.

You built your camper yourself? Wow! I cheered my hubby on as he built ours and I helped put some puddy type stuff over nail heads, but that's the closest I got. Way to go! I'm impressed and, yes, the builder deserves to have the say in decorating. I just give my hubby a hard time out of love. Picking on each other is how he and I flirt.

I read him some of the stuff I wrote here and he laughed, because he knows I'm just kiddin' ;)

Thanks for your ideas.

Happy Tears!

Mrs. B

The pattern is a paper piece swan I found on the internet. You don't have to build to play a significant part in the building. Painting and filling are very necessary parts. My hubby did the heavy lifting and checking for size. :lol: He loves telling folks I did it all but he really did a lot of holding and lifting.

I got a comforter from here for my kids. They love it cause it has wolves...and is blue.........

http://www.thecabinshop.com/cabin-towels.html ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rebapuck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:53 pm

I can't stress enough the need for double thickness. Line your curtains. Then stand outside in the dark, with the TD interior lights on. Can you see inside? If so, so can everyone else.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Thanks for more ideas...

Postby jan4peace » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:20 pm

I love the cafe curtain ring idea. I will check into that. Plus, I have some stitch witchery and hadn't even considered that option. Honestly, I do want a sewing machine. My my Mom has 2 and has offered to give me one several times. I need to clean out the junk room to have a place for it and take her up on the offer. These are great ideas.

As far as the bikini goes. Um, well, heck no!!! Idon't want to scare the fishes!

The decorating is not to draw attention...it is just for me and the hubby. Well, ok, mostly me, cause I want it to look cute when I look at it LOL.

The curtains? Sure, cute is nice, but, so is a lil privacy when I'm sleepin'.

I'll have to check out the stores tomorrow when I'm off. Now, though, I better go off to work :( yay!

Happy tears to you all!

Mrs. B
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby afreegreek » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Image

My daughter finding a quiet place.

I decorated with fabric. Started with a quilt. We have lots of men who quilt and are very proud of it. I figure I built it and I can decorate it. :twisted:
Misters are doin' it for themselves... buildin' up their own TD's.. and sewin' up their own beds.. I said, Misters are doin' it for themselves..
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby tearhead » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Let's see--I've been a member for maybe a year, and got interested in a couple of decorating and curtain threads in here:

Decorating:

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... e+teardrop

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 11&start=0

Curtains

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... t=curtains

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... y+curtains

That last curtain one shows my "roll up and tie" shades, which were made out of the pillowcases that came with the comforter. I did use a sewing machine but it all could be done by hand stitching.

Have fun! :thumbsup:
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby willik » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:52 pm

In which small town Alabama are you living? If it is close enough to B'ham, we've now got a JoAnn Fabrics (in the same shopping center as Hancock Fabrics)... Go buy a few yards of "fish" fabric (or do an on-line search)... you can pick from whimsy to realistic. Use the fabric as accents on pillows, curtains, etc. WonderUnder is a fusible "cloth" you can iron to attach the fish fabric to solid color bedspreads, curtains, etc.

Hobby Lobby also has this type of fabric.
"I take comfort in the general unfairness of the universe." -- JMS
willik
Teardrop Master

Miriam--

Postby jan4peace » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:19 pm

I spotted your reply up there. Swans? Sorry I called them geese. They look great. You did a fabulous job.

I wish I had helped my hubby more, but I felt like he was having fun doing it all himself. I made him lunches and several glasses of cold drinks while he worked. Maybe that counts.

He always has to have a project. Other than painting the name on it and getting a tag, he's over this project and on to the next. he bought a fixer upper over the weekend, an old 1 ton flat-bed Ford and has already planned about 5 different things to add to her. He's just ready to go camping and see how the camper fairs. I would help with the 1 ton, but I bet he won't even let me touch it after I bought those pink flamingos for the camper. LOL

Y'all have inpspired me to learn the skill of quilting. Thank u!

Mrs. B
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Thanks, tearhead (like the name)--

Postby jan4peace » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:34 pm

tearhead wrote:Let's see--I've been a member for maybe a year, and got interested in a couple of decorating and curtain threads in here:

Decorating:

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... e+teardrop

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 11&start=0

Curtains

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... y+curtains

That last curtain one shows my "roll up and tie" shades, which were made out of the pillowcases that came with the comforter. I did use a sewing machine but it all could be done by hand stitching.

Have fun! :thumbsup:

I checked out these links. Thanks for sharing. I loved the Hawaiian style curtains and was impressed to see a guy post a picture of himself sewing LOL It's true what one guy said...something about it being easier if they think of it as a power tool. Haha!

I also loved the "Beachbuggy". That was impressive stuff! I wish I was more handy with a needle and thread. All of these tips and ideas are really helping.

Last yr and before has always been about the basics like a tent, cot, or air mattress. We took along just a mix-match of things we may need to survive. I know everything doesn't have to be perfect to have a great time, but it would be nice to have a few comforts of home this time around :)
I'm just so excited about the 1st trip that I can hardly stand it
Somebody needs to tell me to shut up already :?

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

Happy tears,

Mrs. b
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Hi and thanks--

Postby jan4peace » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:47 pm

willik wrote:In which small town Alabama are you living? If it is close enough to B'ham, we've now got a JoAnn Fabrics (in the same shopping center as Hancock Fabrics)... Go buy a few yards of "fish" fabric (or do an on-line search)... you can pick from whimsy to realistic. Use the fabric as accents on pillows, curtains, etc. WonderUnder is a fusible "cloth" you can iron to attach the fish fabric to solid color bedspreads, curtains, etc.

Hobby Lobby also has this type of fabric.

I'm so small-town that I hate driving in B'ham traffic although it's not a long drive, but there is a Hancocks fabric in Tuscaloosa which is right in my neck of the woods. I'll check it out 2moro. They were totally helpful when I bought the fabric and pattern for my wedding gown (which someone else made for me).

I'll look for some fish fabric and try some fusible cloth. That sounds easy enough that I amy can actually do it Haha! I also like the idea of taking a solid and ironing on different items. Yes, this may be the ticket.

Thank you!

Happy tears!

Mrs. B
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mandy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 pm

Hello Mrs. B. :)
For curtians I like Barbra (Jazzy Lynn)'s idea. Heres a thread on how she did her curtins.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=30279&highlight=
Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

:oops: Oops it was already mentioned. This is what I get for not reading the whole thread. :oops: :lol:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 am

Hi Mrs. B. Your fish theme sounds really cute. I love the giant fish pillows! :thumbsup: I saw some fabric at Hancocks today that would totally match them. I was going to post some pics of my tear but Mandy and Tearhead beat me to it. I really like the snaps I used instead of a curtain rod. It has worked out great for me. Don't worry about your decorating being too cute. That's what teardrops are all about. They can't help but be cute due to their size. Whatever you decide, just have fun with it.
(PS Mandy are you coming down to Cloudcroft this year? Hope to see you there.)
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 am

rebapuck wrote:I can't stress enough the need for double thickness. Line your curtains. Then stand outside in the dark, with the TD interior lights on. Can you see inside? If so, so can everyone else.

Good point, and they should also be lined because the UV will tear up the fabric and fade it out. I just use a natural muslin as it's not white and won't show the dirt as fast. Just an idea. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

hi-

Postby jan4peace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Mandy, Jazzy Lynn, and Doug,

Thanks for all of the tips. Snaps and lining are great ideas. I will make sure we get some sturdy curtains. My husband pointed out that we will have a greater slection when we go to the Gulf Coast, so he wants to use the ugly curtains that I made for now and shop for new ones when we go on our first trip. I made a bulletin board/collage of momentos from tent camping trips and photos of how my husband built the camper. We thought we could hang it on the galley door. I can't wait to get away for awhile on our 1st trip. I hope you all will be doing the same soon as well. All of you have been so wonderful to offer advice. Everyone is so nice here :)

Thanks again and happy tears to you all!

Mrs. B

I tried to embed it ere, but it didn't work out :( Oh, well!

[img]http--www.mikenchell.com-forums-album_pic.phppic_id=62904[/img]

Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Here ya go...Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby jan4peace » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks, Doug. See, y'all are so nice here.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong :)

Thanks again.

Mrs. B
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers