New Pup

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

New Pup

Postby b.bodemer » Sat May 01, 2010 8:16 pm

My beloved cattle dog passed in Jan of cancer. She was about to turn 9. Ocoee was a great dog and it's tuff losing such a fun and loving dog.

My house has been too quiet, and too sad. I started looking for a pup and this time I chose a Puddin Jack Russell Terrier. Puddin Jacks, also known as shorties, are great companions and have really nice temperaments.

So meet Paddy............here's she's pictured at 10 weeks. She's now 15 weeks and a blast. It sure is nice having a dog in the house again.

I think I'm going to stencil, in green, Paddy Waggin, on the td bumper.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat May 01, 2010 8:47 pm

I know how you feel... I've been a dog person all my life... glad you have a new friend.... and your new friend has you... :)
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby S. Heisley » Sat May 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Barbara: Please accept my condolences on the loss of your loving dog. Even though we know their lives are short, it's always hard when it is time for them to 'move on' and you are left with a hole in your heart. :(

Having little Paddy will be good for both of you. She's a beautiful looking pup! I think the Paddy Wagon idea is a great one! Maybe you could get a decal made to stick on the back of your teardrop. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hiker chick » Sat May 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Very sorry to hear about Ocoee -- that is an excruciating loss. They never live long enough.

Great that you have a new puppy in your life. Am looking forward to many more photos!

:applause:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby digimark » Sat May 01, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm just curious. How do you all keep dogs in and near your teardrops without constantly worrying about them getting loose/lost? We have a ~4 year old beagle named Bailey, and she's a bolter. I can't even imagine taking her with us even if we had the room for her and inclination. One squirrel sighting and she'd first be a dot on the horizon and then a distant memory.

Image[/img]
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Digimark wrote:
How do you all keep dogs in and near your teardrops

Your dog should not be able to slip out of the collar yet there should be enough room for breathing and comfort. (You should be able to slip three fingers between the dog's collar and neck.) Use a camp-approved tie-out when you want your hands to be free and a leash and collar when you go for a walk. If your dog is in the trailer, use the same basic rules as you would if the dog were in an automobile. Never leave your dog unattended for long periods of time. There are also portable dog "play pens" that can be used.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hiker chick » Sun May 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Gidget's never loose, except when the teardrop doors are closed.

She'd be after Bambi in a flash if she ever got away.

:o
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby stumphugger » Sun May 02, 2010 4:53 pm

My boy is a Chocolate Lab, and he sticks with me. I am the source of his food.
I've never had a lab before, and think I may be sold on the breed. Very loyal and they actually listen and try to do the right thing. At least he does.

Just one problem, he takes up a lot of room in the teardrop and will take over my side if I have to go out at night. I have to shove him back over. I'm laughing and he is wagging his tail during this maneuver.

If I don't have a leash and collar handy, all I have to do is find a tennis ball or a nice stick. He'll focus on that and only that.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun May 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Had a bunch of pups in camp this weekend and one is a runner. Rayvillian's has a leash and a weight that keeps him for going very far, fast. The group also keeps an eye on him. Doubt if it will work for real large dogs but good training will. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gaelen » Sun May 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Barb - first, my strongest thoughts about the loss of Ocoee. I remember looking at pics of her when I first joined (and you were still building.) It's very tough when they go. Reuben died of complications from hemangiosarcoma on April 1 - he's the gordon setter I placed six years ago after my cancer diagnosis started looking pretty hopeless. He spent the last 5 1/2 years with a couple who gave him the active life and chances to run agility that I couldn't give him, and he died in Bruce's arms when he reached the end. He didn't live with me anymore, but he will always be my dog, and part of my life, and I still have a tough time around puppies and setters.

But the new puppy looks adorable. ;)

About dogs running/bolting in camp...my gang (two dogs and a cat) come camping with me. The dogs have crates in the Jeep, and are loose in the SunSpot. The cat has a crate in the Jeep and a crate in the trailer (where he spends most of his time, unless he's outdoors.) I carry the professional dog show person's key to survival on the road - an exercise pen. i have one metal one, with a top (for the dogs) and one soft ex-pen that is made out of netting and canvas (for the cat.) Churro (the cat) loves to be outside when the weather is good, and he can safely be 'loose' but confined in either of the ex-pens.

Both dogs are lead and e-collar trained, and when we're camping, M. is always on her e-collar (her extra brain cells) and I am always carring the control. NYS camping areas have leash laws, which I respect. I sometimes (depending on the campground) carry with me a tie out, but frankly, it's safer for them and I'm more relaxed if they're in their crates or the ex-pens. Since they like to take walks, they usually go with me when I hike, and at the Tear-up last year, they got taken on walks by others a couple times, too. It helps to have dogs who understand how to walk on lead, who are crate and pen-trained, and who are used to being on the road.

In the trailer, we all kinda sleep on top of each other (except the cat, whose crate fits in a corner of the trailer.) But if it's pouring rain and/or they're soaked and wet, I sleep them in their crates in the Jeep. They're comfortable, and warm, and quiet, and when I know they're safe, I'm more relaxed.

Hope that helps.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby packerz4 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Barb,

Sorry about the loss of Ocoee.

Your new baby is adorable!

Warmly,
Tam
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

My beagle is also a bolter

Postby BKinGA » Sun May 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I have 2 beagles that I'm thinking of bringing along when we get the tear. My daughter objects however, because of their shedding ruining the interior and getting on her stuff. All 3 pets sleep on my bed with me and she won't let them in her room so we have a difference of opinion which I have to give more thought to. Anyway, one beagle is a bolter and nothing at all will cure him of that or lure him back so that has me worried. The other issue I'm concerned with is the howling they do when they hear something unusual. They're friendly dogs who just want to be loved but sometimes they carry on to wake the dead. I'm assuming this would be very unwnelcome at camp sites . . . Any comments on that or the dog hair problem would be appreciated.
BKinGA
Teardrop Builder

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun May 02, 2010 10:15 pm

So sorry to hear about Ocoee passing away Barb. I know the heartache you have felt...they are so much a part of our lives.

But what a little doll baby Miss Paddy is! She looks like she will be a handful...a wonderful, loving handful. :)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Mon May 03, 2010 1:44 am

Barb, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Ocoee will live on in your heart and your memories. Paddy is adorable. I'm sure she will fill your home with lots of joy and happy barking.
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Mon May 03, 2010 8:56 am

I have a border collie... she travels in a crate, otherwise she is all over the car licking the windows... when I camp, she is on a leash with me or crated outside, in the shade if necessary... b/c's are usually crated, but not for a lot of hours, I don't want you to think she spends her life in one...

At home, she owns the couch. Outside by herself, she is on a 25 ft. retractable leash attached to the porch.

She gets walked, loose in the woods, for 2 miles per day. But around other dogs and people, when I'm not with her, everyone is better off with her crated... I open the side door of the van, and say 'crate', and she jumps in.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers