Can I Build a Teardrop?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:21 pm

bc toys is right. If you build over/above the wheels, you'll probably have an extra foot to a foot and a half of width, which you'll appreciate. You could even have extra storage underneath. The 7.5' length isn't that bad. You'll figure it out. Do check out that trailer carefully, though. While a little rust removal and some paint may clean up the chassis, you may need new tires, if they are very old or been sitting in the sun a long time.

Courtney did a great job on her TD. She had the 'can-do' attitude and did it! You 'can-do' too! :thumbsup: :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Pgrnfarm » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:10 am

New tires are a must, as they are rotten and flat! Like I said, it's been sitting in the weeds for awhile. Maybe this weekend I'll hook the 4 wheeler to it and bring it into the garage and break the news to Terry!
Pgrnfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mandy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:54 pm

This is an awsome thread. :thumbsup: You can build it.
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Pgrnfarm wrote:New tires are a must, as they are rotten and flat! Like I said, it's been sitting in the weeds for awhile. Maybe this weekend I'll hook the 4 wheeler to it and bring it into the garage and break the news to Terry!

...don't forget, in addition to the tires, check the bearings and seals as well...an excellent little program for resizing pics and basic photo manipulation is www.irfanview.com or you can get an account at a site like www.photobucket.com and it will resize them during the upload...pictures of the trailer and other items will be ABSOLUTELY INVALUABLE for giving you CORRECT information..................
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby BigAl » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:19 pm

EZThumbnails, also rocks!
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby greekspeedoman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:35 pm

You can build a teardrop. I just interviewed a woman who just tore apart and restored a vintage teardrop without "knowing what a screw driver was".

read her story here: http://www.overlandtrailer.com/2010/09/20/adventure-film-08-vintage-mood/
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Postby Weirdnerd » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:33 am

My mother always told me, "whatever you can imagine, you can do, but imagining it and making it are two different things", the trick is to start with something simple, and build upon it, I not only believe you can do it, I am sure you will. :thumbsup:
This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby Pgrnfarm » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Your mother is a wise woman!

I broke the news to Terry over the weekend with a written proposal and full size mock-up of a trailer with 4 x 8 sheets of insulation. He wasn't totally opposed to the idea but He wants me to start with a new trailer frame so we were shopping today.....checking out workmanship. We have decided to use the "Honeymoon House Trailer" plans from the 1938 Popular Home Craft magazine, seems to be age appropriate for Dad's truck.

You might now hear from me for months, but I will keep you all informed!
Pgrnfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:20 pm

just remember we need pixs :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: and more :pictures:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Siouxgirl2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm excited for you. I'm doing a first build as well and it is quite a learning experience. That is, however, what I wanted it to be. It is taking more time then I thought but I have high hopes that it will be completed someday. I'm a Mom and that is the first priority with the trailer build right up there. Congrats and, hopefully, we will someday have one that we can both be proud of.

Loyal
Siouxgirl2
Teardrop Master

Postby peggyearlchris » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:55 am

You can do it. I did mine. It took me over two years. I did alittle bit at a time.Just ask questions and take your time.Have fun with your build.Looking forward to seeing it. take care peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Postby Pgrnfarm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm still out there.....life has just gotten in the way of my dream for the time being. Actually, we are converting a 6 bay machinery building into our dream garage. Once it's done, I will have plenty of room to work on a teardrop and won't have to worry about taking up Terry's space to work on tractors, so I can take my time and be messy!!
Pgrnfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:14 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: About that "messy" thing---did we remind you to take :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: Should be doing a "Messiest Garage" come next year or so.. 8) Don't delay and Yes you can! I did, and while I knew how to use tools I had not done a large project like this.

I did discover that "it is just a box" and very similar to every home remodeling job you have ever done...Just has wheels.. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

did you build your td?

Postby dawn68 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:18 pm

I am starting my first TD. I have a lot of the trailer work done (I found one back in the woods that I am redoing) :thinking: I just cut 2 foot off of it (to make it a X and not a X) if you have any ideas for me that i can use that would make me relay happy.I bought plans but there is no electrical info in it,what did you do for that? I hope to hear from you soon
Dawn
dawn68
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:27 pm

:thumbsup: Welcome all. Ladies we have a forum for just about everything. Just start reading "stickies".
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers