Best Camping Along this Route

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Best Camping Along this Route

Postby Lynn Coleman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Hey Ladies,

In September Paul and I will be traveling from Florida, to St. Louis, MO. Taking I75 to I24 at Chattanooga to I-57 to I64 and back.

What I'm wondering if there are any great places to see and camping along this route. We love history, photography and overlooking vistas, etc.

Anyway, I'm working on possible camping places. We'll be roughing it in the back end of our pick-up since the Inkwell is under the weather. But I will be looking for camping spots with electric hook-ups and showers. Just haven't figured out the port-a-poddy yet. We'll skip that thread. :)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:10 am

Paducah, KY has a quilting museum that is nice (I don't sew, don't quilt, but it was nice seeing the quilts).

There are also a lot of antique stores in downtown Paducah--primative to some very, very nice collectibles.

Paducah is an old rivertown with a lot of history, lots of neat architecture, lots of things to see. Be sure to check out the murals painted on the flood walls--so much better than the plain walls seen in many other river towns.

Purple Toad Winery in Paducah has some wonderful Peach wine and some Blackberry Wine!! I need to go back down there for some more of the Peach--I've never found it any where else.

Metropolis, IL has a large statue of Superman. The level of the Ohio River is down now, and you should be able to see it. There's a riverboat there if you're into gambling.

I can't remember exactly where it is north of Metropolis, but Rend Lake stretches for about 3 exits in IL. I would love to fish and camp there one of these days. It just seems so quiet and peaceful.

There's also the Shawnee Forest in Southern IL. My nephew has camped there a number of times and has always loved it.

I'm not native to Illinois, but I have visited a friend in Metropolis a number of times.

Hope this helps.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Return to Lady Teardroppers