Any Tips on Backing Into Campsites?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Any Tips on Backing Into Campsites?

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Hello ladies and gents,
The bad news....I'm not done building my teardrop. :(
The good news...I bought an '84 Scamp to use until I get my teardrop built. And, gosh, it's cute! (see pic below in sig line) :)

The good news...I'm going to take it camping for the second time this weekend at Crow Wing State Park.
The bad news...This state park doesn't have any pull-through sites. I'm going to have to back it into a campsite. :baby: :? :scratchthinking:

Do you have any tips on how I can become an competent backer-upper in 3 days? I have some blaze orange construction pylon thingies that I can use to mimic a campsite. Just have to find a secluded spot to set them up so I don't embarrass myself with an audience. :oops:

All hints and advice greatfully appreciated!
Last edited by mcspin50 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:50 pm

start backing slowly, grab the wheel at the bottom and turn the wheel the direction you want to turn the trailer.
if you grab the wheel from the top, you have to turn the wheel the opposite direction you want to turn.

go slow and you will get the hang of it, you also might have to pull forward and straighten out and try again. just be patient and you will get it.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Hold the wheel at the bottom

Postby Alfred » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:17 pm

As Louella said above, best advice I was given was to hold the wheel at the bottom and turn in the direction you want the camper to go.

Enjoy the camping!

AL :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby TheBizMan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:27 pm

As stated....go slow. If the trailer isn't going the way you want or is going too far, then pull forward and try again. Just takes practice and even the best ones mess up sometimes. DON'T give up. You CAN do it.
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 pm

I spent a Sunday afternoon in a deserted office complex parking lot practicing both backing into a parking spot, but also just backing in a straight line.

As everyone advises, go slow and if it's not going where you want, pull up and try again, slowly.

It takes practice, but after a few trips you'll be putting it in the narrowest slots you can find, just because you can :)

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Agree with GuitarPhotog - find a well-lit deserted parking lot and bring along your orange pylons and just practice, practice, practice.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks all! I knew I'd read something about hand at the bottom of the wheel, but couldn't remember the rest.

So, just to help me and my dyslexic brain, if I have my right hand on the bottom and want the trailer to go right, I move my hand towards the right, right? :D
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:47 pm

slowcowboy wrote:heres another suggestion. the teardrop is so light its easy to move by hand.

get a rubber tired castor wheel on the end of the trailer jack and unhitch the teardrop it wieghs about nothing.

let the trailer tongue sit or rest on the rubber tired castor wheel.

then get your hubby to help you push the trailer into your camp site.
slow.

Wouldn't that be like cheating?? :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all your good suggestions, slow.
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Lil + what they all said, but I have 2 things I used to teach my wife when learning to back up. First like they said instead of finding a secluded area just go to nearest Wal-mart or mall and do it at night! Reason is if you learn at night to back into a parking space then day time in a campsite is easy plus less people out to bug you at night. 2 like slow said get iy close and you can push it in place, with some tears and tt the tongue is short so it makes it a pain to back in, it jack knifes like crazy when you try to back in. My wife learned in 1 night and has done it twice since then so she could make sure she had it she said :lol:. Good luck :thumbsup:

Cliff (& Sheri) :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:42 pm

...as the others said, hand on bottom of wheel...move hand in direction you want trailer to go...go slow...make all adjustments in SMALL increments...move hand a little, as soon as trailer starts moving in wanted direction, move hand back to center...go slow...short trailers move fast so, make small movements of hand and return...go slow...slow movements of hand...go slow...as trailer starts going in wanted direction, correct the other way soon...go slow, small corrections and adjustments, don't wait too long to get vehicle back in line with trailer...go slow...small adjustments and did I say to go slowly...an empty WalMart parking lot is an excellent spot to start your training...and make small adjustments and GO SLOW!!!!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:59 pm

:thumbsup: What they said but a small trick:
Turn your mirror, the one on the inside curve, so you can see the end of the trailer and the drive. Pick a line and have the camper corner follow it! Crank the steering wheel hard and let off as the camper comes around. Slow!!!!!!!! If you want the corner to go right, with your hand on the bottom, take it to the right......

Look for obstacles first!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Well.. "I" have a couple a ideas fer ya...the first has already been stated.. Put a wheel on the tongue jack !! Cheating ?? NO WAY ! It'll keep the corners of yer trailer AND yer TV straight( no dents)

"I" have one a them "suicide" knobs on ALL of my vehicles JUS FER backin up trailers !!! Jus hand on the KNOB to turn the steering wheel...

"I" have been drivin trucks and trailers fer 34 years so it's second nature fer me !

That Scamp is very lite.. jus put a wheel on that tongue jack and push that thang if ya hafta...Whatever is SAFEST fer YOU !

That doesn't mean ya can't practice the backing up in a parkin lot tho...

Jus remember, the KEY word is SLOW !!!
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Well.. "I" have a couple a ideas fer ya...the first has already been stated.. Put a wheel on the tongue jack !! Cheating ?? NO WAY ! It'll keep the corners of yer trailer AND yer TV straight( no dents)

"I" have one a them "suicide" knobs on ALL of my vehicles JUS FER backin up trailers !!! Jus hand on the KNOB to turn the steering wheel...

"I" have been drivin trucks and trailers fer 34 years so it's second nature fer me !

That Scamp is very lite.. jus put a wheel on that tongue jack and push that thang if ya hafta...Whatever is SAFEST fer YOU !

That doesn't mean ya can't practice the backing up in a parkin lot tho...

Jus remember, the KEY word is SLOW !!!
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:21 pm

I was really struggling till I realized I wasn't going far enough past where I wanted to back into. I had to really jackknife the trailer to get even close to where I wanted to be. I started pulling a a couple of trailer lengths past the drive and then it was a much gentler turn to back in.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm still learning; but, one tip that my neighbor gave me was, if you tend to over-steer(I do), put just one hand on the steering wheel when you turn it and rest the other hand/arm on the TV door/open window. That does seem to help.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers