Any Tips on Backing Into Campsites?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Maureenm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 pm

I learned with the trial by fire method. On the way to a recent gathering, I missed the turn into the camping area. We were out in the country and I looked for a large spot to turn around and about 2 miles past my missed turn I spotted what I thought was a parking lot that wrapped around the little post office, so I pulled in. It didn't go through, so I had to figure it out then and there. What seemed like a 27 point turn later, I was back on the road. The upside was that I now had enough confidence to try backing into my driveway when I got home. Had a little trouble hitting the sweet spot between the wall of bamboo and a giant rock, but I made it. It's kinda like a bike, once you get the feel of it.....So, keep trying!
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby Stealth TDI » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:53 pm

If you have a choice and can control where you park, choose a side that'll let you back the trailer in the direction of the driver's side. In other words, pass the site along your left, then back it in. It's easier to watch the back of the trailer that way. But practice both ways so you're not caught off guard at the site. I learned to back my trailer in a high school parking lot after hours. No cones needed. I used the painted stripes.

Even after 13 years of experience with the same TV/trailer combo, I still find myself needing to pull forward and try again from time to time. Short trailers do cross-up quickly and sometimes just need a couple of adjustments, especially when doing some real "stunt parking" (see here and here). So, as stated, go slow.

Good Luck!
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Maureenm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Very impressive! :applause:
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:44 am

Lil,

Congrats on the new to you trailer. Cheri and I love those Scamps and always point them out to each other. Really looking forward to seeing your new toy.

When we get to our camp site we always get out and walk it. Not every site is flat and some have dips and other areas that can make placement of the trailer difficult. After we decide where the trailer should be Cheri usually stands where we want the driver side wheel of the trailer. I find having a target to referance is very helpful. It also helps when she yells "Stop".

Without a helper I often place an object on the ground, usually a stone or branch, etc.

See you in the spring, Lil.

Gary
Last edited by Gary and Cheri on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Learn the Scoop!

http://longlonghoneymoon.com/2010/03/vi ... -up-an-rv/

Fun video to watch.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Take Your Time! It's not that hard - just take your time and make small turns with the steering wheel. I bought some mirror extenders from Camping World to help see vehicles behind the camper and it helped me see better when backing up. Don't sweat it if you have to pull forward several times...practice makes perfect! ;)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 pm

I especially like the results of the first attempt.

Of course it had to be a woman driver :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truce just kiddin' :peace:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mcspin50 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Got home from work, hitched up the Scamp, drove over to my friend's house to show it off. She used to be a DNR enforcement officer, so was really good at backing up a trailer to get her boat in and out of lakes. She had her grandkids over, so couldn't get away to help me practice. :(

I drove all over town (pop. 1,250) to both schools and the churches. Forgot that Wednesday night is church night. Every parking lot had people and cars.
Drove home and left the trailer hitched to my van. Will take it to Perham tomorrow ('cause that's where my shop is) and practice there. They have more and bigger parking lots.

Thanks to all of you for your input! :applause: Love that Swoop (oops...s/b Scoop) video!
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Found a church parking lot and picked a spot to back into. That Scoop video had me thinking this'd be a piece of cake...NOT! I found it incredibly easy to jackknife the Scamp.
So then I thought I'll just try to back up straight. Going slo-o-w-wly, it took many tries to keep it straight more than 5-10 feet. Made it halfway across the parking lot finally once. The trailer seemed to want to go left very easily (it has a short tongue), then when I'd steer right it would just keep going left. Maybe I'm getting the trailer and the car mixed up, you know, thinking right for the car instead of the trailer.
I know, practice, practice, slow, practice, slow, practice. There's always tomorrow night.
Or, if the campground isn't very busy, I'll just park in the road and bring a REALLY long extension cord. :twisted: :lol:
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:03 am

Don't you worry, you will get the hang of it, I promise you. I've been towing boats, campers and trailers since I was young. I was taught as a teen to back the boat in the water, ride the boat on the trailer and bring it out. It just takes practice, practice, practice. But that doesn't mean I don't have to pull forward, back up, pull forward, turn, pull forward (again!), back up....but I take my time and it works out.

My mirror extenders have helped big time. I can see more on the sides and vehicles directly behind my camper when towing. You just have to gain Confidence. Just be Confident and stayCool! :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks, Becca. I know it'll just take time and...yes, practice to get this down. I teach people to spin wool fiber into yarn and I'm always telling them the same thing...it just takes practice. Keep patient and I like what you say about confidence.
BTW I do have mirror extenders that I just mounted on the minivan, and they do help with seeing cars behind and beside.
Thanks again...
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:56 am

well at least you are trying. as said above with practice you will get it.

but i must say that i gave a chuckle from your description. sort of reminded me of my first time backing here in my own yard. i finally told my hubby that at least i got it into the back yard, now putting it where you want it is up to you.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby iplay10us2 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:53 am

All good tips on here, but one thing that might give you a visual is to think of making an elongated "S" pattern when turning the steering wheel. That keeps me from over-steering to one side or the other. Shorter trailers turn very quickly, as you have found.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:54 am

slowcowboy wrote:who cares how many times you have to pull ahead. you on your own time.
and no one is testing you to see if you can get backed into the camp ground spot.

I have to stop and pull forward *everytime*. :lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks again everyone! Your words give me a little more peace of mind slow. :)
Read about my adventure in reverse as it unfolds here
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers