New here....

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby gmajane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:28 am

T@Baker wrote:Welcome, Jane. What part of IL are you heading for? I'm in Wayne County, a straight shot east of St. Louis. I camped New Year's Eve weekend at Rend Lake, and am considering Carlyle Lake next weekend. If you come across I64, you'll pass Carlyle :) Youngest daughter "may" join me this trip.

Don't know about the rest of you, but here lately I'm getting odd remarks from women about camping solo. They feel it's dangerous, blah, blah. I tell them fear will not keep me from going, doing, seeing, and enjoying this great country. I hope I'm not being stupid. I camp with a dog(s), and have the panic button for my Jeep in the event I feel someone is "hanging" around outside my tear. At one time I carried Mace (or a substitute), but have long since lost it.

Heck, a friend of mine has an aunt that, while in her 70s, made the yearly trip from CA to IL in her motorhome to visit the family. My mom and I camped all over in her MH with my 3 young kids. What's up with all of the "Oh, you're brave to do that" stuff. Do you all hear that...ad nauseam?

Crystal.....I know Wayne County....my ancestors are from Bedford Township and lived in Rinard and Cisne. My Dad grew up in Flora in Clay County. I am headed for Vandalia where I went to high school and also for Decatur where my cousin lives. He and I are going to spend a day in Galesburg where our mom's grew up. I am thinking of camping at Ramsey Lake, but am interested in Carlyle Lake too. Where do you camp there?

Are there any gatherings around there during the year?
gmajane
Teardrop Builder

Postby T@Baker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 am

Well isn't that cool!? We sometimes go to Sam Dale Lake, just west of Cisne just a skip. It's not my fav., but it's close and some of our friends go there.

When at Carlyle Lake, all of the campgrounds are nice. I esp. like the COE's, and my fav is probably Dam West. It's beside the marina, and I enjoy watching the boats come and go. A beach is also nearby. Dam West is the closest CG to Dam West if you're in need of Walmart, etc.

However, Eldon Hazlet State Park has a store and a very nice pool. It's larger and much easier to find a spot.

Carlyle Lake is home to a sailing club, and I love to watch them 8)

I would like very much to camp on the east side of the lake, but just haven't done that yet. I am told a couple who used to live here, Fairfield, is the host.
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby gmajane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Just a bit of trivia, Crystal. My brother was born in Fairfield. We lived in Carmi at the time.

Thanks for the info, I am going to check out Carlyle and might decide to camp there instead of Ramsey.
gmajane
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers