Decorating a New Trailer with Vintage Style

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Decorating a New Trailer with Vintage Style

Postby nevadatear » Fri May 24, 2013 12:55 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369418124.057579.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369418124.057579.jpg (121.81 KiB) Viewed 5734 times
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby deleted » Fri May 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Thank you for the feedback. It's so hard to know what is needed and what will be overkill. I've read so many threads in this forum I think I'm over anticipating things to worry about. Perhaps I'll complete one of the blackout curtains, that way if someone has a bright porch or scare light, or for some reason I'm parked beside a bright light I can at least block out that side as needed. :thumbsup:

Edited to add: Your sewing skills are fantastic! Love your curtains and that cooler cozy you made is so fancy and gorgeous. My sewing looks good. . . from at least 12 feet away. :R
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Fri May 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks staci. Yours do look good! You avoided the rookie mistake of not having enough fullness. Most people think you make the curtains the width if the window, fail to consider gathers need fullness to look good, that curtains should be a minimum of double to triple the with of the window. In other words, a single panel of double curtains should be at least as wide as the full window. That is what makes curtains look handcrafted rather than blatantly homemade. You appear to have done that and they look great!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby deleted » Fri May 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Thank you! I wish I could take credit for knowing that. The reality is that I just used the fabric (a floor to ceiling window sheer) at its current width because I was too lazy to trim it down and refinish the edge, which resulted in the fullness. As it turns out it was a happy accident :)
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Sun May 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Last night I decided to work on a way to camouflage the roll of TP I'll be keeping in The Glampette. Here's what I came up with... A floral throw pillow by day to set on the bed... Or is it?

Image Image Image
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 26, 2013 10:32 pm

How cute!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Mon May 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Sorry, but I disagree with Debbie. Take the blackout curtains with you. At night, with the lights on, you will be able to see inside. A silhouette if nothing else.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby T@Baker » Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 am

Very cute, Stacie :D

We had a Pack Camp over the 3-day weekend. When hubby isn't along, I don't put out the Green Bay décor. It's fun to change it up, though.

Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 am

I'm also agreeing with Reba, I would take the blackout curtains. As a woman traveling alone, I wouldn't want to inadvertently create a "shadow show" or have some peeping tom think he sees something through the sheers and decides he wants to get a closer look (either at you or how your trailer is laid out or secured). Your fun, lovely colors of trailer and décor will be tipping off those nefarious types (who notice those kinds of details) that this may be a woman's rig. Of course if you have your dog with you, he'll warn you that someone's outside, and you'll have time to ready your bear spray, or whatever you're bringing (you are bringing something???) to deter intruders (animal or human) from harming you.

Nevadatear, I love your curtains/theme and while I agree with adding the proper fullness for the curtains, (which I have done with all the curtains, of various styles, I've sewn over the years), I decided to go with a flat, opaque/blackout curtain with just enough width to cover the windows (as seen in my décor thread). I didn't want the interior too "glamp" for Bob, there wasn't enough space between door and window to gather very much fullness, and with all the tossing and turning I do at night, I was worried I may get tangled in extra fabric and tear them down.

Stacie, what a great idea for covering the TP roll! :thumbsup:
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Tue May 28, 2013 10:19 am

Thank you for the additional insights on the blackout curtains. I'll bring them since I'd already cut them. Just have to sew some velcro loops along the top edge which will take only minutes.

Yes, the trailer is going to be very girly and glampy. Having worked in retail sales for a decade and being self employed for the past 16 years I'm pretty good at knowing how to handle myself around strangers so I'm not overly nervous about traveling alone. I'd say I'm friendly but cautious. I do have pepper spray and a stun gun, both legal here in CA, but am concerned they may not be legal in states I'll be traveling through so I wasn't going to bring them. Instead I'll get a can of bear spray for when I travel out of state. I also have a few back up ideas but I don't want to divulge them publicly because the element of surprise will make them more effective if I ever need to use them. If you'd like to know I can send them as private messages.

T@Baker my dog is probably about the same size as your dog. He'll be coming with me too. I started a "traveling with a dog alone" thread in the General forum and got some really great tips on the subject. It'll be harder since I'm alone so going into places will be trickier if they're not dog friendly. Currently I'm planning on making grocery runs first thing in the morning so I don't have to leave him in the car or trailer unattended. My return trip will be all about traveling vs. camping to get the trailer back to CA from MI and stop and visit friends and family along the way with RV parks in between.

And thanks on the TP cover Backroads4me. Wait until you see my tiny shower! LOL it may be the smallest shower stall ever but it works. I just finished it this morning I'll take pictures later today if I have time. I know in some instances I won't have access to water where I may be staying, and even when I do I won't always feel safe to use a campground shower alone at night when I get back from shooting a sunset and having dinner after tromping around all day. An indoor shower was a must on my list when I designed the trailer.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Tue May 28, 2013 10:28 am

On more safety measures, I had Fred add porch lights on separate switches to both sides and the rear of the trailer so if I do hear something suspicious at night I can turn on a light and look out the side windows or the peephole in the rear door to see what's going on and if I should be concerned.

Lights and switches:

Peephole in door:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby T@Baker » Tue May 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Stacie, I bought a used dog stroller for times when I need to run into a place and can't leave him in the car. Our T@B has AC, but I don't want to leave him over an hour. Several years ago we were camping near a large lake known for boating and fishing. The power went out to our whole loop, and I knew the trailer next door contained a dog. We were trying desperately to find the owners, as the temps were in the upper 90s and the trailer was not in the shade.
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Tue May 28, 2013 1:54 pm

I hear you on the leaving a dog unattended. My stance is if I wouldn't leave a human child unattended I won't leave my dog anywhere, not just in a car. I used to be an active member of the Dogster.com forums. Several times people had their dogs stolen when left in a car and when people leave the engine running to keep the AC on to keep the dog cool a couple of times people stole both the car and their dog. :(

We do have a pet stroller we got for our cat. It's rated for 30 lbs of animal so at 27 Kitai is a nose under. He's never ridden in it before though so I've been tossing treats in to get him to go inside of it before I take him for a test run. Amazingly I am able to fit it folded down into a rear seat foot well and his crate fits on the seat on the same side!

HIs crate also fits in the car assembled but I'll probably use it nested on the drive so he gets more air circulation from the AC.

I'm shocked I'm able to load everything, including my small table and one folding chair into the trunk!

I wish I could find a bright yellow, robin's egg blue, or pink dog crate. LOL It has to match yanno :)
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sabrown82 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Don't they make a spray paint for plastic now? You could probably paint the crate. Hmmm at least I think? Not sure how well it stands up but I thought they were making the paint for plastic outdoor furniture.
sabrown82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby T@Baker » Tue May 28, 2013 2:59 pm

I find that adhering fabric with exterior Mod Podge works better than the Krylon for plastics. I've painted coolers and used a combo of fabric and paint. The paint has some issues when hit against things, and the fabric does not. I would think you could do the same with a dog crate. I'm attaching a photo showing one of the coolers...

Crystal -
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers