Decorating a New Trailer with Vintage Style

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Decorating a New Trailer with Vintage Style

Postby nevadatear » Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 pm

I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't take your blackout curtains, especially since they are already made, just to share my own experience that with smoked windows and a simple curtain, i have not been able to see anything from the outside looking in at night, not even an outline. When i come back at night and my husband is in the trailer, it often surprises me when I open the door that the light is on inside. Just sharing my own experience. Better safe than sorry to have the extra curtains.

deb, your curtains re great. You have way move glass inyour trailer than ours, which would make the opportunity for shadows greater. My curtains could also be better at blocking light tan I thought they were! They are purple afterall! :lol:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby deleted » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 am

Maybe I can do a combination where I use a paint but overlay mod podge on the contact points like the bottom and corners? They do make cute, hard-sided, pink, plastic carriers for toy sized dogs but Kitai needs medium sized crates and there aren't any that I've seen for larger dogs. Or I can sew him a cooler cozy and hide the green as much as possible.

Crystal we're using almost the same color scheme! I love your cooler and glampy look :)

Debbie I appreciated your insights as well. If I don't need the hassle of putting up the black outs I'll be able to skip them but will have them if needed. I was wondering how much light would be able to get through the curtains. Some of that will be decided by how bright my interior lights are. I guess I"ll find out when I get to MI and we hang them. For now there will only be one curtain rod. Later, I may make a double so I can have sheers and a heavier cotton that when doubled with the sheers will be impenetrable to light!

For now, here is the temporary cover I made for my Thetford porta potty. It cleans up pretty nicely into a small corner table. I made the cover three inches short to give easier clearance to the mattress thickness that will be right beside it. Quite pleased because the floral print was on sale for $5 a yard and I only needed 1/2 a yard and the blue was leftover from the cover I made for the wedge pillow so I feel like it cost $2.50 to make it.

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 am

A commode cozy! ;)a pretty potty protecter!;). The alliterations could go on and on! Nice work staci.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby deleted » Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 am

LOL thanks Debbie! This isn't really the "look" I'm going for but it's great practice for when I get the trailer back home and really go about finding exactly the right fabrics. My friend told me to just throw my stuff in cardboard boxes and wait until I get back to make things nice. It's as if he doesn't know me at all :lol:

Dana: No, decorate later ---> :noyes: <--- Me: Yes, I have to do it now

But now I'm thinking I may not even build a cabinet per say for the porta potty, I think just a nook and a cozy may do nicely and will help to keep my weight down.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sabrown82 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:30 am

Stacie - what are you going to use for curtain rods?
sabrown82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby T@Baker » Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 pm

I use café rods held with 3M hooks.
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Wed May 29, 2013 1:14 pm

For now just 1/2" wooden dowels. Fred is building a bracket for them that can even have a tiny shelf for the few inches above the window. For now, if I need to I can rubber band them on the ends to keep them in place. Later I'd love to replace them with clear acrylic or chrome rods and some kind of cute end caps.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Backroads4me » Wed May 29, 2013 3:48 pm

nevadatear wrote:A commode cozy! ;)a pretty potty protecter!;). The alliterations could go on and on! Nice work staci.

Love the "comfort station cover"! :thumbsup:
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks Deb!

Well, here it is, my tiny shower made using the bottom half of Kitai's dog crate, some PVC pipe, binder clips, velcro, and a shower curtain. More pictures and all of the design and fabrication details are here: http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-tiny-diy-shower-for-teardrop-style.html

Set up and tear down are a piece of cake. If hot showers aren't glamping I don't know what is!

Oh, and with a few hangers it can double as a clothes drying rack if I'm ever out dry camping.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 am

I'm still swooning over my latest accessory addition to The Glampette!

The back story is a kick. I'd found this Big Boy grill online and guess where it was located? Grand Rapids Michigan, just 40 minutes away from Greenville (my destination) and right along the way! The seller agreed to let me pick it up in person to save on shipping charges :thumbsup: So the same day I finally got to meet Fred and see The Glampette in person I picked up this adorable grill.

More pictures in this blog post: http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2013/06/be-still-my-glamping-heart-cutest.html
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Cute grill. And how was the Glampette?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby deleted » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:30 pm

I said to Fred on the phone the other day I'm not sure if I've conveyed to him how much I love The Glampette. He said I had but then I told him I don't know that I have because I love her even more every morning I wake up in her :lol:

She is fantastic. So small, so light, so easy to tow. She sits right on my rear staying right where she's supposed to be. Only once did I notice the slightest bit of left to right movement, it was almost imperceptible, while traveling through Minnesota on a very windy day. I slowed down just a bit and she tightened up immediately. I noticed no wind draft issues when large semis and tankers passed us. She's solid. She pulled through the passes in Montana and Idaho without any hesitation. I'd done a lot of reading prior to picking her up so had already learned to downshift instead of brake coming through the passes so even though it was raining at times I had no problems at all slowing down while going downhill. She does have electric brakes, I just didn't use them very much.

Inside she feels more spacious than I'd imagined she would be. I have plenty of room to sit up and read or eat and Kitai and I fit together just fine on the 29" wide mattress. The mattress itself is super comfy as I ended up using 3" latex foam. Our night in Montana it was probably around 40º out and we were so cozy I wasn't cold at all.

And Fred was the best. I wish Michigan were closer to CA so we could visit more often. I thought the best part of my trip would be getting my trailer but in fact, it may have been meeting Fred in person and gaining such a wonderful new friend.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm

It's taken me too long but I finally took some interior shots of The Glampette because so many people have been asking to see them. For the most part this is a temporary decorating job simply because I couldn't bear to bring her home with my gear in cardboard boxes. LOL. The pink walls will stay but the rest will change as I build and accumulate the right components to create the retro look I'm after. Lots more pictures and all of the details are in today's post on http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2013/07/welcome-to-glampette-peek-inside.html

Here are a few pictures from the post:

Looking into the trailer

Looking out of the trailer

Not pretty but practical, my DIY oil funnel sink and grey water container

Glamping/relaxing 101
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:45 am

Stacey, wow, what a find that grill was! And in a nice retro cooler too! Love your blog and your trailer is way beyond cute----love seeing the photos of it! :thumbsup:
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks Deb. I'm trying to figure out how exactly I'm going to use and store it. Would love for it to serve double duty in the cabin somehow. Working on that idea.

In the meantime... Here's a picture of one of the blackout curtains.

They're made of black polar fleece with an aqua cotton edging to hold its shape and four small velcro tabs sewn along the top. They conveniently attach to the curtain rod. It takes just a minute to hang both of them up at night and take them down in the morning. The beauty of using polar fleece is, like felt, you don't have to finish the cut edges, so, I made them scalloped just for fun.

They work really well. The only reason the picture is so bright is because I took the other curtain down behind me because it was too dark to get a decent photo with both of them up.
Last edited by deleted on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers