Dumb question-Where do you style your hair?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Dumb question-Where do you style your hair?

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:31 pm

I have camped and backpacked all my life. My hair is straight and baby fine. That is great for drying quickly, but it also gets yucky quickly too. So I almost always do at least a spit bath and a hair wash daily. Sometimes it was in glacier water that was cold enough to give you an instant headache. Now that I am older I enjoy a few more comforts camping.
I still wash my hair daily, but I at least wait now to heat the water and usually shower at the same time. (I have a 6x12 cargo trailer) I still only boondock camp so I bring my own shower. Having a battery and solar recharger brings some added benefits above backpacking too. I don't blow my hair dry, but I do use a 12v Roadpro curling iron to manage it and get it back out of my face. It heats up quickly and works well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT ... UTF8&psc=1

Most of the day I am still wearing a buff (sun protection face mask) and hat, so kind of crazy. :roll:

Last edited by Rainier70 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:37 pm

I style my hair with a razor... :)
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jessalynftw » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:24 am

I can definitely see how curly hair could be a disadvantage when camping. My hair is stick straight and much easier to coax into a hat or pony tail. My mother on the other hand has very curly hair and had a tough time keeping it under control unless she styled/straightened it.

No heat curls may be your best option, although short hair definitely makes it more difficult. I found an awesome and easy way to no heat curl with a headband. I would just shower before bed, let my hair air dry until damp then wrap my hair around a headband. There's a lot of great tutorials on YouTube

You could also get one of those hairdryer add ons that help drying your hair straight but any humidity and all your hard work would be ruined!
Jessalynftw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 1950 tear » Sat May 02, 2015 11:00 pm

put small framed mirror on wall inside. Blow dry my hair inside check mirror get out and start enjoying camp fun
1950 tear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Alleged User » Sun May 03, 2015 6:01 am

My hair is fine and dead straight, so unless I want to be sporting a Marcia Brady, I need to blow it dry to keep it off my face. I shower early at the bathhouse so that I typically have the place to myself. i do wear hats most of the time also, but even then I dry my hair first. Tooling around with a wet head for an hour and a half on chilly camp mornings is not a good time. We camp at the many beautiful state parks near us, so always have bathhouses.

There will always be those who think you're silly for drying or doing your hair at camp. Screw 'em. Every one of us has our little quirks that come camping with us, guys and girls alike. My hairdryer is one of them.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby wildcatphotography » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:24 pm

Old post, but I don't think I'd call it styling, but my hair is on my head. I'm wondering if a 12 volt dryer is any good.
https://amazon.com/JKPOWER-Portable-Car ... B001LQY1X4
wildcatphotography
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nanny54 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 am

Just brushing my hair and ponytail. :D
Nanny54
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:08 pm

That's why I invented the ball cap. Some think it was made to keep the sun out of the eyes of baseball players. Not true. It's for camping.

;)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:13 pm

tony.latham wrote:That's why I invented the ball cap. Some think it was made to keep the sun out of the eyes of baseball players. Not true. It's for camping.

;)

Tony

Not sure I should even be in this folder :thinking: , but speaking for Shelly, during the early days of COVID, when we were afraid to go out and get haircuts, she borrowed my beard trimmer, put on a 7mm guard, and invented the "buzz-cut."

Tested it out on me, and it works fine, but I guess there's something about it she didn't like because she never let me give her one.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers