Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:35 pm

DAMNED IF THAT DON'T SOUND FAMILIAR.....

He tried and tried to work with the banks for 2 years to refinance and keep his home, but they smell profits, now that the prices have rebounded
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:36 pm

bobhenry wrote:Wrote to the Indy Star reporter and received an immediate reply. Despite it being her day off she promised that we would get together so she could learn more about my zoning problems. Also linked in with the " Indianapolis tiny house community" and the gals in the article at the appropriate sites on face book.

I also have plan "Z" in the wings. There is a very tiny spit of land that butts up to my east property line. Tuesday I am going to find out who's it is. I think it's another scrap of ground held by the State. I am going to try and buy it. If I am able I already understand from the zoning folks I can camp on my land but no more than 7 days at a stretch.

SSSOOO ! 7 days on one! 7 days on the other! I am thinking some railroad like trucks for support and some 2x2 square tube for rails and breaking camp will be as simple as winching the caboose 25 feet each way. Sound like I am an idiot I know, but I am a pissed off idiot , that's the worst kind.

Bob,
You may want to check with the zoning folks - the ones that administer the law; not the elected ones that make the law - before you purchase the property.

Generally improvements can't span a property line. To combine the properties, the two tracts have to platted into one lot...BUT you usually have to comply with a minimum lot size and dimensions...AND you usually have to have utilities, particularly an area large enough to support a septic or aerobic sanitary system if no sewer service is available.

If you don't mind moving to Texas, counties do not have zoning authority. Only cities do. In the county you just need to satisfy the sanitary sewer and well water standards.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:25 pm

I considered what you're proposing a while back Bob. There's a county in CA where you can get gorgeous cheap land, camp on it for 28 days, and can build a 10x10 structure with no permit. The real estate agent said the foot print had to be 10x10 or less but no limit on how many floors up I could build :lol: :thinking:

It got me thinking of buying two lots next to each other to drive a little canned ham (like 6x10 or 6x12) back and forth between them each month. Take a few days in between and pay to stay at an rv park so I could use their dump station, laundry, etc. That's an idea if I ever decided I wanted to go full time in a small (not tiny) glamper.

ETA: Adding the answer for Graniterich here so I don't take Bob's thread off topic. I was talking about the high desert area in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siskiyou_County,_California
Last edited by deleted on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Graniterich » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:22 pm

Where is it, sounds great
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 am

Stacie,
I remember that area- I investigated an 80 acre parcel near Mt Shasta about 10 years ago--
Higher elevations are OK- but not the low elevations, as it goes to 100+ degrees in July on some days south of Mt Shasta- which is no good in a canned ham trailer- I see that prices are still reasonable for recreation land- 2.5 acres/$5000 or less. You just need to watch for private covenants in the deed- it might specify, for example, no camping, only a home of 1800sf or larger, must build a house within so many years, etc.
I would build my 10x10 structure with 6x6 posts in the corners- however the 2nd floor would cantilever out 3ft on the ends, giving me a 10x16 floor- kinda like how the rear of my Weekender-XL is built.
Weed, California, in that county, is 3500 ft elevation- looks pretty nice in the summer-- highs of 85-
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/weed/california/united-states/usca1218
added- maybe the bottom 10x10 slab would just be a parking area for the camper- in the shade, under the 10x16 upper floor- room for a nice patio and stairs to the next level- well, it's probably been tried and that oversize 2nd floor isn't allowed. I can see Mt Shasta in the distance now from my upper level balcony.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby VijayGupta » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Today, Thursday, Feb.26 on NPR's All Things Considered, there is going to be a segment on the Tiny House Movement. Here, it starts the program at 4pm EST, but I know other stations start later. There are also two one-hour segments and your local station may only air one of them. You can also listen by streaming an NPR station or get the script and audio after a few hours at http://www.npr.org/programs/all-things-considered/ or listen live at http:/www.wvxu.org

Obviously, I don't know what they are going to cover because it's not aired yet, but if you're available this afternoon, it might be a good listen.
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:01 pm

I don't see anything on the site about tiny houses. I listened on the drive home and they covered the canal and religious persecution as shown but nada on tiny houses :oops:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:10 am

Thanks Jeff ! I was really looking forward to the story and was disappointed when I couldn't find it !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby VijayGupta » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:42 am

VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby mezmo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:40 am

VG, the link doesn't work.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:53 am

mezmo wrote:VG, the link doesn't work.

It popped right in for me a day or so ago ???

Try this one........http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/cabooses-and-cabins
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 39Ratrod » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:25 am

That is sweet!
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:54 am

I like it. Hate snow, but I still like it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:07 am

Thanks for the link Bob!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club