Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:27 am

Well it was wet and hot outside so I played inside. With the air conditioner on full blast I enjoyed indoor work for the afternoon. I started the caboose 6/6/2012. So for nine years I have been staring at an unfinished ceiling. NOPE ! It is not done but I took some steps towards that end. If you remember I had to tear out most of the foam board I had used when the squirrels moved in. I finally found where they were getting in. I installed metal mending plates over there entrances after filling the holes with cayenne pepper. I purchased some R 38 fiberglass blanket insulation and installed it. I placed 1 x 6 nailers every two feet from side to side thru all 6 cavities. These will very shortly be utilized to attach some 1/8 inch luan and finally some antique style ceiling tiles. I have all the supplies on hand and at the ready the tiles were a yard sale find, 110 of them. There retailed at $4.00 each ( OUCH) I was able to get 110 of them for $100. The insulation was about $90.00. So my ceiling will be about $250.00 when complete but I had to wait and be sure my squirrel barriers were adequate. You will get a good laugh at me for as I installed each blanket I liberally coated each billet with cayenne pepper on the up side. Despite being extremely careful in the install I was occasionally showered with a bit of my squirrel repellant ( the pepper) I hope that if they get in, their eyes will water as well as mine and the sneezing fits are also enjoyed. What rained down on my bare sweaty arms and the back of my neck burned like crazy also. I will get some pictures as I proceed and update as I go. :beer:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:43 pm

Oh my!! That stuff (pepper) doesn't sound like fun to work with! Hope it truly keeps your squirrels at bay.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Work or not the sub ceiling is in. R 38 blanket under the R 5 on the roof under the EPDM The luan is in place and I found 60 sq ft of foam antique look glue down ceiling tiles. The sub-ceiling was a PITA to get in, but it is done. I am ready to do a grid layout of how the 19 1/2 inch ties will lay in. P.S. I hate ladders ! :fb

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rebapuck » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:54 am

Love those tiles. If the ceiling is to be painted, maybe do that before installing. Less ladder work.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby godskid » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:54 pm

Oh, but those tiles beg NOT to be painted, if you can avoid it! They're gorgeous !!

Deb
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 am

THIS WAS POSTED DECEMBER 14TH 2011.........Image

I made it in before the 10 year rule... I may be slow but I have an excuse I am old too !

This was actually installed on the she shed at the land lady's request but I am stoked to get the one done to service the tiny houses. As the 275 gallon IBC tank is setting empty for the second year.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Looks cool, Bob!
godskid
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels