Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:53 am

Unless that H2 is for a grand daughter you will be asked to turn in your man card! :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:03 am

AWE Steve .......

You know me!

here is the bigger plan..........

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=63266&p=1133592#p1133592

scroll down a bit
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pjo129 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:19 pm

If you got two of them, you could wear them like electric rollerskates. Kind of a low-budget, redneck Paul Blart, mall cop. :lol:
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Well Sunday was a fun day. Put up shelves in the tractor barn up by where the caboose will be located.

Mounted a tool box in the building and decided since the 6 hours of mowing was done from Saturday I would remove the bush hog and put on the draw bar to pull some small scrub tree stumps. Well it was hot and I had been at it for about 4 + hours and all I remember is climbing onto the tractor for the 5th or sixth stump pull and the lights went out. I felt it coming on and shut off the tractor and started to dismount. I woke up 3-4 minutes later slumped onto my big 8x20 flat bed trailer guarded by Becky. She had apparently caught me and half dragged half guided me to get my butt parked. It was in the mid to high 80's and my shirt was dripping with sweat but I was dry and clammy. It seems the heat got me. I went to work Monday and was so disoriented by mid day I gave up and went back to the country. I was wanting to do something anything but each time I thought hard about physical exercise my body said NO! So I made a doctors appointment and was a bum Monday evening and all day Tuesday. Wednesday I was placed thru a battery of tests and all they could find was an extra heartbeat now and then to explain my 4-5 second fuzz outs I had been experiencing. Well More Test Monday and I gotta be a better boy by taking my meds religiously and curbing my beer habit :cry: . Oh well I got way to much to do before winter anyway so it's time to buck up and buckle down.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:04 pm

..............did you ask the doctor if their was something else you could trade for the beer??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding ...take care of yourself and do what the doctor says and stay out of the heat.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:39 am

Gal Pal says I have to switch to Gatorade :x

Do ya think I could get away with it ...............

:D :D :D :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Just think of all the money you'll save!!!! :twisted: Gatorade is a whole lot cheaper than beer!!!! :thumbsup: To make things easier for you, everytime I have a margarita or a glass of wine, I'll have one for you too!!!!!!! Works for me!!!!
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby springdew » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Hope you are feeling a lot better by now.

Started at the end of this thread and have got about half the way forward and holy crap. I'll keep going until I find out about how the roof was made, but I wondered how the caboose is now. Last pic I saw it had a tarp, I think, on it, so I wondered about that.

I got to go up a few weeks ago to Stew MacInnes' shop and see what he's got going on. He's one of the builders I approached for my build. We'll talk again after my construction documents are done. He had one of these cabooses underway in his shop at the time. http://tinyhousetalk.com/tiny-house-bui ... view-stew/ It was impressive and fun. It seems to me that he builds big and heavy, which isn't ideal for my build. We'll see.
For everything there is in this world, there is someone who likes it.
Planning and build journal for Yiayia's Waggon: At Home on the Road

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Well, I'm up to page 12 where your ex-husband is helping with the roof. My mom calls a subsequent wife of her ex-husband her wife-in-law. Works for me. I now have a wife-in-law myself.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:48 am

I finally found a structural engineer who was retired (and bored) and asked him to review my hair brained truss set up. I was most pleased with his evaluation of the design.........

Hi Bob,

You have what we structural engineers call a plywood box beam - as you know they are quite strong and your idea is valid and good engineering. Your end connections are vital to the racking, or what we call lateral stability and your detail using screws and glue over a connection height of 8" should be good also.

I like the curved roof. I was thinking of a curved roof gypsy type wagon/tiny house. Your box beam would work well for that.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Well today is my birthday ! And what better present than to finally get the caboose towed to the pasture where it will hopefully reside ( barring any over zealous zoning commissioners) . :D

The patio trailer is already there and the utility trailer is waiting as well so it will be a busy few weekends getting all the utility peripherals installed and functioning.
The orange paint is going to get toned down to either a plum (Pennsylvania RR) or a green (Burlinton Northern) color. All the better to go stealth with ! :roll:

I will update the utility thread on here http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=63266 as the systems are installed. I am targeting a fully off grid network of systems that will cover a series of backups for each system.

I am like a kid at Christmas and can not wait till the weekend to get started.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:31 pm

:P Happy Birthday! :P

May you enjoy caboose living for many years!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:43 pm

BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!

Good luck with all the moving and hooking stuff up!
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby springdew » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Happy birthday, Bob! Wishing you so much good luck with this.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Karina » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Happy birthday, Bob. I'm so happy that you are finally managing to get put out to pasture. :thinking:

:wine: Have a great birthday. I'll be watching your utility build with interest.
Karina
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels