Tiny House vs. RV Why?

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Postby 2bits » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:06 am

Hehe Yes... The shop always comes first ;)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby doris s. » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:31 pm

I love A frame houses. I dream about having a house that is just one big room with a sleeping loft. A place to eat, sleep and make art. That's all I need...well except for a bathroom. A bathroom might be nice too.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:47 pm

doris s. wrote:I love A frame houses. I dream about having a house that is just one big room with a sleeping loft. A place to eat, sleep and make art. That's all I need...well except for a bathroom. A bathroom might be nice too.

Doris

Loft upstairs and the front room downstairs is the living, and the rear section is divided into Kitchen and bath with the wall right down the center. Works well. I have always wanted a spiral staircase too, so... ;)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:36 am

I think a ladder up to the loft bedrooms in Jay's A frame tiny houses provides that kid sense of adventure in climbing up there. (Though your knees might reveal the reality of your age.)

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doris s. » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Thomas,

That design would be perfect! I have a book about the A-frame history. It's fun to look at it and dream. An A-frame on the beach...perfect.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby caseydog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:22 pm

I'd prefer a tiny house to an RV for quality reasons. You can build a tiny house like a well built, well insulated house. I've yet to find an RV that I would want to actually live in. Cheap materials and mediocre workmanship just wouldn't be something I'd like to come home to.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:39 pm

CD,

If you could put the same craftsman ship into an RV as you do a tiny house on wheels, which would you prefer?

I guess we are talking aesthetics now!

Mike...

vs

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wimperdink » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:14 pm

I love the tiny houses on wheels but when it comes right down to it, if it has to go on the move for any reason, I just think an RV will cost less to move around especially if your going a long distance or moving often. Tiny houses are great though and I would love to give it a shot myself but I'm thinking it would be permanent on land. There are some very valid reasons for having a tiny house on wheels as was shown at the beginning of this thread, just none that make sense for me.... For me its a tiny house up north and an RV to snowbird with. :)
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caseydog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:06 pm

mikeschn wrote:CD,

If you could put the same craftsman ship into an RV as you do a tiny house on wheels, which would you prefer?

I guess we are talking aesthetics now!

Mike...

vs

I think the priorities are different when you want something to live in, that won't move very often, versus something that will travel a lot.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 pm

caseydog wrote:I'd prefer a tiny house to an RV for quality reasons. You can build a tiny house like a well built, well insulated house. I've yet to find an RV that I would want to actually live in. Cheap materials and mediocre workmanship just wouldn't be something I'd like to come home to.

CD

I have the same concerns. For me the 5th wheel would be a means to an end, but for me to handle it it will need to have a "Real" Bathroom, home style kitchen and a nice modern living room, no flowery wallpaper for me. I was pleasantly surprised with some of the stuff I found when I was first toying with the idea. Apparently designers have woken up.

I could come home to this, but again it is still a temporary means to a more permanent end, and I am looking for something that I actually will need to move around a couple of times.

Check these out (Sorry for the thread derail, but it is still near topic). check out the flat screen TV and fireplace. This one is out of my budget too, but I am gonna get as close as I can!

Last edited by 2bits on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 pm

bobhenry wrote:When is the last time you have seen a home being built with let in wind bracing. Where a 2x4 ( or 1x4) was diagonally cut into the wall studs to provide triangulization to eleminate sway in the length of the wall.

You mean like this?

I rock! :lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:22 pm

When was the last time you saw a run of the mill home being build using timber framing?

Plywood changed all that!!! :lol:

Mike...

P.S. Awesome wind bracing Bruce!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:35 pm

I believe that most people with small houses are not really interested in moving them a lot.. they just want to cut back to a reasonable size with small cash outlays.

I live in an area with one house that is 10k sq. feet and 4 people living in it... makes no sense, but they can afford it. Just think about how much it costs to furnish it and put in blinds/drapes... boggles the mind.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby 2bits » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:02 pm

I guess back to the choices and reason why, I think some people do choose RVs because of the cost and have no intention on moving them, there is alot involved in building a house even if you do not do the work yourself, so that may be an additional factor, and I guess it hinges on a persons willingness to accept the RV doors and other non-house like things that go along with them.

For me, even though I plan on living in an RV for a while, the tiny house wins in the long run IMO, but we'll see how I feel after a year in a 5th wheel, I may love it, and just build a deck all the way around it, or I might be going out of my skin pushing to build the house! I could see me feeling either way, only time will tell.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby caseydog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:50 pm

I would prefer to have my tiny house permanently anchored. Actually, I'd like to have it on top of a basement. Basements are great for all the mechanicals and for storage, laundry, and other stuff that doesn't need finished out spaces. Being underground, you don't need to heat or cool them, either.

I'd love a one bedroom, one bath house with a basement.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels