plated trailer vs camper

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

plated trailer vs camper

Postby moreforles » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 pm

just curious, is it possible to register/plate utility trailer and not camper.... or is it a package deal?

just wondering for tax purposes (not an issue here in Ohio, but hope to move in couple years, and NC or SC might have personal property tax on anything plated.....

if a utility trailer is taxed, anything being hauled on it might not be.... maybe even to the point where for appearances sake.... camper strapped to trailer so it looks like its just sitting on it (I still want it bolted too, but might be interesting to have others think it comes off the trailer for what ever reason..)

and I guess that would be another thread.... any body have a camper that slides off trailer (besides pick up slid ins/ons)
moreforles
Teardrop Master

Re: plated trailer vs camper

Postby chazm » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 am

I am doing this. The utility trailer is registered. I am now going to build a body that I can bolt onto the frame with six bolts.
chazm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Maybe you can check with the DMV in the three states that you are interested in( OH, NC, SC).
In some states, a td/ttt is considered a utility trailer unless it has a plumbed, stationary toilet in it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:09 am

You might think about hopping over the line into Michigan for your trailer registration. It is a one time fee lifetime plate!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Bikerman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:14 pm

In Mo, it's a trailer tag. PP taxes will depend on the market value or a minimum fee probably. I'll be putting a free standing unit on the trailer. As Sharon mentioned, if it has plumbing, kitchen it may valued as a camper. But, if the entire unit goes on and off like a truck camper, it may not be part of the trailer.

But then again, in Mo. campers are another taxed category. So, if you have a 30k Alaskan truck camper, guess what....

When states adopt new laws or taxation gigs, they will look closely at surrounding states and see what they are doing. Much of something new in one state may be an adoption of what another state already has, it's less work for the govt. types to copy than to create!

Mo is really bad about PP taxes, everything used in a business is taxed, clear down the paper clips (office inventory). I had rentals, they taxed the free standing stove and fridge in each unit!

:twisted:
Your Tax Collector
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby josephhanson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:02 am

In Indiana utility trailers have much lower taxes than a camping trailer (RV). Especially "homebuilts", my "homebuilt" RV trailer was valued (by the BMV) at $16,000, I was able to convince them that it was not much more than a trailer to carry stuff for camping and got it reclassified as a utility trailer. Old RV's are prorated, if that's what you're working with, just keep the title, but if you are building new, you might want to check out a utility classification. This is what I ran into in Indiana, your state might be different. Good luck.
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby LWW » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:47 pm

I applied for a homebuilt trailer tag. Had the county police come and inspect it to make sure it was a homebuilt and had the DMV supplied ID tag attached. After he signed off on it I went to DMV and got my utilty tailer tag. Oh yeah the home built weekender was already complete and on the trailer. Larry
LWW
Teardrop Master

Postby citylights » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Mine is and will always be... A highly modified utility trailer hauling camping gear and building materials in the rough size and shape of a teardrop.

:applause:

If I have to take the materials off the trailer to prove it... Then it's 12 bolts, 4 jack stands, a razor knife to cut the silicone seals between the trailer frame and teardrop frame, and drop your drawers! Honestly, I think it would take me about an hour to separate them... And then probably most of a day to put them back together.

:thumbsup:

citylights
500 Club

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels