tiny "BARNS" on wheels

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:49 am

Getting ready for next weekends gathering ol what's her name wanted the beds stripped so all could be washed and ready fresh. I removed the bed / sofa pieces and parts to vacuum. Yes I know how to run a vacuum.
I decided while they were out , to set them up so you could see what I have been trying to explain. In the picture you see a wire and tube futon frame supported on wood stands. The left one in the picture is just over 6 foot long and stays at the wall whether in the sofa or the bed position. The center and right pieces are just over 3 feet long to make them easy to manuver in the trailer. To make the sofa I simply flop the center supports on their sides and scoot them in. The left frame is flipped up and rest on the barn wall the righ supports move in and the right frame rest on the 2 sections shown on the right.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 02, 2011 8:05 am

Well it's spring. Spent the weekend giving the Wishbone wagon his final sideing. Got 10 sheets of 4x9 FRP pebble grain finished panels off of craigs list for 125 dollars. So the chuckwagon is getting his new look.

as soom as I figure out the hatch and side trim it will go on the roof as well!

Image before

Image now
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:35 am

Well it is shaping up here is the new FRP panels installed on sides and roof.

I would like to thank Dan G for the jeep luggage rack it cut down real easy and was a breeze to install.

Got 41 days left to refine the hatch and get it covered. Yes it will be at the CRA in July
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 am

Before this gets lost I wanted to link it into my build thread also.....

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43504&highlight=side+tables+again
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:32 am

bobhenry wrote:Before this gets lost I wanted to link it into my build thread also.....

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43504&highlight=side+tables+again

Has it really been a year and a half since I started this build ? :oops:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:44 am

Well another busy week end.....

Measure twice cut ( or drill) once. Yep you guessed it about 1/2 a hole too low hit the floor dead in the side.

Well at least my ferris wheel self leveling shelf worked 1st time !

Is my tongue box too wide .....??

Oh well it out of the yard now !

here is a rear view of the door i cobbled together for my under floor storage locker

Here is a right front and side view....

Recycled a couple pieces of left over lexan from Chubby and the tongue box is supported by 2x2 angle cut from the removed side rails from the barn build. Still just using what junk is laying around ( that's about all I can afford). The tongue box was removed from my ton truck before it went to the cash for clunkers program and is still a muddy mess from laying in the back lot. A little soap and water and a little rattle can paint and it will be fine. A hatch hinge cover a gas line for the stove and trim to width the FRP on the hatch and we are real close to being ready for the Cross roads of America gathering in July. It will be pulled in tandum with the barn this coming weekend rain or shine to see how it all pulls together. Yes, we will have some pictures !
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 am

Was ambitious last night so I trimmed the excess material at the hinge point of the hatch. I used some 5" wide ice dam tape over the 2 edge of the 2 sections as my 1st water barrier. I then applied 1/16 " black neopreme rubber cut to six inches wide. I bloused it loosely over the seam and installed 2 sections of 1" by 1/8" aluminum flat stock. This flat
stock had been drilled to simply screw thru and secure the rubber membrane.

I also removed the compartment doors and sealed the edges with the putty tape they were shipped with oh so long ago.

Trimmed the excess frp off of the hatch sides and called it beer thirty. It was Hot out !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:19 am

Wife had some porch ledge wire forms that were designed to be slipped over the top rail of a deck or porch and you could hang bird feeders and other types of home decorations. They fell prey to my grinder and I used them for my over the side table lantern holders.

I took a large barrel bolt and ground out the little handle and slid the bolt portion out of the barrell and then cut off the two ends slid the now lantern hooks into the mounted barrel bolt half and wound up with this....

Turned out as a happy accident if you swing the hooks forward they will also support the upper compartment lids.
Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:36 am

I like your thinking there Bob!
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks Mike got a few more things done this weekend.......

Storage drawers for all those little things that tend to get misplaced.

The use for the storage underneath has not been determined but it scream skillets to me !

water tank is next weekends project but I did get it cleaned and bleached out

Some Goodwill finds did make it onto the underside of the hatch

my wine rack for stemware ( No she won't drink wine form paper or plastic)

even the paper towel holder found a place on the "ceiling"

It was a busy weekend but with the CRA only 4 weeks away I am motivated.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks Slow......I was busy again last night !

I picked up 2 duplex plugins 2 covers and 2 half depth carlon electrical boxs at lunch yesterday.

When I got home I cut them in right beside the little barrel bolt hook mount and wired them up. The p/s works d/s does not looks like I get to trace back some wires and find what I screwed up ! :x

Still gotta get the gas line ran...... :oops:

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:23 am

Look what I found in the Attic !

Made a great 2 fisted hatch handle.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

the value of a "shake down" cruise

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 am

Well have dragged the chuck wagon trailler around for 2 days to and from work. The trips to and from yesterday were uneventful. However, this morning I kept hearing a thump thump thump and stopped to investigate. I had stuffed a 2x4 under the box at mid front to allow the tongue to support the nose of the tongue box. Well I had intended to drill a hole or two in the box floor inside and screw the support block in place. Well I forgot that small task and the 2x4 walked out as the box hopped around over the secondary roads. Thank God I had the gas line in and had bolted the bottom back corners to an angle iron support. It ripped out the 3" screws at the top and was bouncing up and down on the tongue. Hence the "THUMP THUMP THUMP"

Well another small project.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:54 am

Tongue box is now mounted properly. I installed 1" blue foam on the floor of the storage lockers and the tongue box. I went looking for a tongue jack after I weighed the tongue weight at the ball
(# 160 :shock: and yes that was level ).

As these 2 trailers are being towed tandum I knew I would need to be able to seperate them and hand push the chuck wagon where needed. Nope I can barely back up a single trailer but definatly ain't good enough to back up doubles !

I had been trying to justify the not quite $50.00 for a wheeled tongue jack but just couldn't do it. A couple night ago as I was driving home I stopped at a yard sale and found an ancient bolt on ball mount for $2.00 and 2 heavy duty 4" casters for a buck apiece. I bought about $5.50 worth of hardware and mounted the ball mount upside down on the tongue and secured it with a large "U" bolt thru the safety chain holes. The 2 mounting ears that normally bolted to the underside of the bumper are now upside down and accepted the 2 casters. Well to make a long story short I disconnected the chuckwagon last night and shoved it 30 feet thru the lawn and back into the driveway behind the barn and hooked it up to the barn for the first time. It rolled real easy and went where I pointed it so I was a happy soul.

A few days ago I found a semi mud flap in the road so I took it as a sign :roll: and picked it up. Last night I cut it up and made mud flaps for the rear of the fenders. I had been towing it to and from work for 4 days in the rain and the sides were sprayed with a healthy layer of road grime so this addition should help a bit.

2 gas fittings to tape and reinstall and I am ready to pack up and head to the CRA :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 am

Well the gas line is in and no leaks :cigar:

All the burners work great looks like stove is going to require a new thermocouple to get it going. Oh well I have one more weekend ! :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels