Modified teardrop House trailer

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Postby firemaker » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to post my recently finished pride and joy. it is a 17 foot teardrop style with a raised front. It is built on the chassis of an older aluminum travel trailer and it has most of the amenities of home. Right now my partner and I are living in it in Ontario. Here is the link http://tinyhometeardrop.blogspot.com/

cheers
firemaker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Not sure about it being tiny, but it sure is nice! Great job! :applause:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:39 am

Were you in Victoria a week or two ago? I think I may have seen you.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:26 am

Adam,

From the looks of your build, you've been lurking here a little. Nice work! Looks like a really fun project. Your bunk mate is pretty cute too! Thanks for sharing

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby firemaker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks guys, yea this forum is a great resource. i was in victoria briefly actually about 3 weeks ago though. We were driving through to catch the ferry to Port Angeles.

I know its not exactly the tiniest trailer but my intention was to build it to live in full time so it had to be somewhat comfortable.
firemaker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:56 am

Absolutely superb! :applause:

Jay Shafer has nothing on you. I love your layout. Great choice to have a loft sleeping area and the kitchen is as good as any "full size" home.

You are living the dream of no mortgage and the smart usage of space. Well done and keep in touch with this forum of your ventures. Out of curiosity, how long did you lurk on this forum before joining, and what is your background and experience with building or carpentry?

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:22 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What an inspiration for small living spaces! Great job! Are the both heater flu's for the diesel heater? Did you consider venting out the side wall? There are some nice Suburban heaters that will vent nicely out a side vent using propane.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby firemaker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:39 am

cuyeda-
They are 3" flues for the cabin heater and the hot water heater. the cabin heater is a sig marine 100 diesel heater and the hot water is marey takless water heater. both of them required a certain flue height so i needed to poke it out of the roof.

oasis maker-
Ive been looking at the site off and on for a few months i hadnt actually discovered it until after i had started building, if i had there might be a few revisions to the design i would have done.

as for my prior experience building i have been working in the trades for awhile but mostly as a painter so most of my building skills ive learnt through observation and research online.
firemaker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve smoot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Firemaker,

That is an impressive build. Makes no difference what you do on your day job. And, I agree with Steve cox, that is a cute helper you got there.

Steve
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby 48Rob » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:02 pm

You've done a very nice job. :thumbsup:
A lot of thought went into your build...

I'd love to hear more about it, and also how it does/is working out in the winter season.
Is the 20 gallon tank proving adequate?
I may have missed it, but is there a toilet?
Do you have a battery system, or is it all mains?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby firemaker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the comment.
the trailer is holding up pretty well so far. I have had a problem with the grey water outlet freezing. it is just running outside into a portable holding tank. when i was traveling with it the pipes were capped and some water was left in them which ended up freezing completely. A full tank of water lasts almost a week just doing dishes and we use water sparingly. we havent really used the shower yet because i have a few more finishing touches to do in the bathroom and we havent really been parked in one place for long enough to settle in and get everything set up completely.
im guessing the showers will be quick and seldom when we do use it.
We have two deep cycle batteries hooked up to an inverter which is then plugged into the main breaker box. the batteries are trickle charged by the truck while driving and two 20 watt solar panels mounted to the roof. We have been using the power to run our lights which are all LED, a computer with speakers, the water pump and a small fan. the last two are hooked up on a 12 v circuit.
For a toilet we have a bucket toilet and i am going to try and incorporate a composting system eventually.
firemaker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Firemaker, I'm curious. The picture of your bed begs a few questions about your set up:

What are the dimensions of your bed and what is the ceiling height once in? Can you sit up in it? And what is the height of the opening for entry. Judging from your girlfriends shoulders, it appears to be a very slim entry??

Do you keep a small ladder somewhere to climb up? I can't tell, but is the edge of the bed recessed from the ceiling overhang so that you don't hit your head when climbing up?

Scott

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby firemaker » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi Oasis

The bed is 4 feet by 6' 4" the ceiling is curved so only on one side of the bed is it high enough to sit (leaning against the shelf not upright). There is about 3 feet from where the bed ends to where the lower ceiling begins.
Right now we are using one of the stools and the coffee table to climb up. i plan on making a small step eventually.
im working on some drawings and a sketchup model and will post them when im done that may give you a better idea of the space.
firemaker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby droid_ca » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:41 pm

this is a really nice trailer I like your use of space

:twisted: might need to borrow some ideas
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:41 pm

As "I" am about to take the "plunge" into my first ground up build....yers is an inspiration ! A friggin CASTLE !! And just well thought out fer a young whipper snapper !

Since you mention that ya live in it FULL TIME...whatdaya do fer livin expenses ?

Jus a GREAT trailer thar brother...PROPS !!
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels