Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:23 am

One of my bestus camping buddies has promised to show up Saturday and give me a hand setting the three trailers in place. :thumbsup:

My gal pal keeps gigging me about the "walk in closet" in the pasture :fb

I made up a huge list of the items in the big storage unit that needs to be trucked to the site and it is amazing. :shock:
Almost 30 items, some rather large heavy and cumbersome. grey tanks. water storage tanks, bathtubs, wood stoves, solar systems, and all the smaller needs to start hooking up the off grid utility shed.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pjo129 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Happy belated birthday, Bob.
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Well Saturday was used to set the caboose. Turned out to be a bit more of a task than I had planed. The glider trailer had to be moved Image

Image.

and a fence row had to be taken out

I had to relocate the firewood pile I had started to gather and in making the extra long pathway needed to maneuver the caboose. I also found two large boulders and had to move them to get them out of the way.

The wrecker move jumbled the contents of the trailer far more than previous moves. Counter tops were thrown cabinet contents were emptied. In general a huge mess inside. I am sure the tow over the open pasture land was a large contributor to this carnage.

I was able to get the caboose where I wanted it jockeying first with the tractor then my pickup.

I was also able to get the 8x20 "patio" trailer very close to in position as well

.Image

I went to the house in a house and brought a second load of the needed items to start getting the tiny house set up.

Sunday made yet another pickup load and grabbed the two large wooden steps I had made years ago. Grabbed the 3 ton jack, the blocks, and wood blocking to start leveling the two trailers. I had a bit of a scare, as I drove up to the caboose at it's new home I noticed several thumb sized limbs that were bent and folded back by the rubber roof.

I , in my excitement, had failed to notice this little fact on Saturday. I climbed to the roof of the caboose and used a limbing saw I cut them away. It was a great relief to see that the rubber roof had sustained NO damage. I placed the big steps and found they needed to be leveled so some serious digging was in order. I removed 5 large arm loads of 1x2 lumber that will become the batten material from inside the tiny house. I then spent about an hour repairing the disarrayed interior and sweeping up the year of dust and neglect. Leveling is turning out to be a huge problem the wheels and on a hump making it necessary to raise the front to an almost indecent height and the observation platform on the other end may become subterrainian. I was tired and things were just not going well, so I called it a day and fired up the grill for some pork chops.
Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi, Bob:

You may have had some problems and more to conquer; but, you've got it moved there and that's a big milestone! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nansplace » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:35 am

It looks all nicely tucked in right where you wanted it. It's exactly the setting you always wanted except I don't see a creek or river nearby. Good luck with getting it all set up. :thumbsup:
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:58 am

Nansplace wrote:It looks all nicely tucked in right where you wanted it. It's exactly the setting you always wanted except I don't see a creek or river nearby. Good luck with getting it all set up. :thumbsup:

No need for more water, the blood sucking little flying pest attack you in a dark cloud. I think I gave 3 quarts this weekend before I went for the Deep Woods Off to keep them at bay.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:00 am

bobhenry wrote:The orange paint is going to get toned down to either a plum (Pennsylvania RR) or a green (Burlinton Northern) color. All the better to go stealth with ! :roll:

Well the color is 4 parts international harvester red and 1 part (or less) rustic brown. I have yet to mix it and give it a try but the $80.00 is spent so that's that. It should give a rusty wine color that should match the Pennsylvania RR colors somewhat.

That should help it to blend in a bit better in the woods.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:11 pm

I agree it should help blend in with your surroundings better than the bright orange. If zoning czars come snooping around, it will be much less noticable than a giant orange pumpkin :shock: Let the painting begin!!!!!!!
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby Nansplace » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Forgot to add that I still like the orange the best....... ;)
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:49 pm

Nansplace wrote:I agree it should help blend in with your surroundings better than the bright orange. If zoning czars come snooping around, it will be much less noticable than a giant orange pumpkin :shock: Let the painting begin!!!!!!!

I agree. :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 pm

:wine: :beer: Cheers, Bob! When you are not exhausted, you are going to LOVE THIS!!!

Of course I know you are loving it already. :D

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:55 am

Nansplace wrote:Forgot to add that I still like the orange the best....... ;)

Hard to believe that will soon be 3 years ago !

Oct 26, 2012 6:14 am

74 and sunny with a forcast of cold and rainy so ol Bob took 1/2 day off. At noon I went and picked up 2 gallon of Kabota Orange paint and a couple roller covers and screamed home to get painting

You probably still have some in your hair !

Thanks for the help painting it the first time ! :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:49 am

You're very welcome. I enjoyed it and we had fun with it. :D
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:34 am

Tractor paint .................

Rural King tractor paint has proven to be all but bullet proof as a top coat. I have used it on several of my trailers. I experimented last night with the paint I purchased last Sunday. I thought the International Harvester red and some rustic brown would give me the rusty maroon look I was searching for. I started with 8 red to one brown then 4 red to one brown then 2 red to one brown well to get to the chase it wound up 2 parts brown to one part red that finally gave me the color I think I am looking for. This weekend is supposed to be gorgeous so I have it dedicated to getting the caboose repainted. I will have some pics on Monday! :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Padilen » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:38 am

Probably the same type of paint as Majic tank paint. It's sold at home and farm stores. I like it better than rustoleum paint but it costs more. I own my own propane tank and keep it painted looking nice.
Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels