Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Well the rolling deck is next....Last weekend I picked up 160 pieces of 5/4 x 6 rough sawn oak all were 9'3" long. ( reclaimed crating) That's $1.25 a board :D Yesterday I picked up the fasteners and the lumber for the sub framing. This deck is being built on a craigslist find 8 x 20 double axle frame ($100.00) 8) Last weekend I set two 4x6 posts immediately against the caboose and just over the garden window. These will offer support for a donated roll out RV awning ( Thanks again to Dan Galvin). This awning will offer shade for the south facing garden window and also provide sun and rain protection for an area of the deck. This deck should require about 40 of the boards and some of the others are to build a board fence for the landlady's pasture. I hope to have some pictures next week to post.

Here is a rough drawing of the new addition.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am

Well my $100.00 craig's list find of a 8 x 20 trailer frame is 1/2 decked. I took several pictures and was all prepared to show you my hard work. WELL I thought I was. Went to pull the card out of the camera to down load the pictures and guess what .... NO CARD. Kinda reminds me of taking treasured vacation pictures while away and opening the old 35mm and find there was no film in the camera. Oh well It is only half decked so there is still time for pics next week.., :x

The caboose will soon have a "depot platform" (deck)
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:32 am

The "Platform" (party deck) is now fully decked with 5/4 1x6 reclaimed crate lumber and is ready to be put into place. Still no pictures :x but I will continue to promise. :pictures:

Help coming Sunday to put the posts up for the tractor barn 10 x 20 lean to and help me get the RV roll up shade installed.

BUT THE BIG NEWS..... The chicken house has new tenants. A dozen little gals. For those of you who know me they were getting big and Rural King wanted them gone so the $2.39 regular price became one dollar even :thumbsup:

Image the babies

Image Some day soon !

The silver laced Wyandotte's were not my first choice but who can say no to a 60% off bargain.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm

But the adult one is so much prettier than ordinary white chickens!

Congratulations. You *always* drive a hard bargain. :D
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:36 am

Paying a little on my lot rent! :applause:

The landlady wanted a lean to for the tractor barn so this was Sundays work!

I'll have a few pics soon on this project. The rafters went in last weekend and for the long holiday weekend I found a trainable 15 year old dynamo who know little but can follows instructions very well. We now have all the purlins on and 1/2 of the roof's steel in place. About 3 hours and the roof will be complete. :thumbsup:
Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 pm

I got a few minutes to work on the caboose Monday so I pushed, tugged, bumped, and shoved the 8x20 deck trailer into place. It is inches from the caboose south wall and is inch for inch a perfect match in length. When leveled (Maybe gotta get ready for the CRA also) this next weekend It appears it will be a simple step off of the observation platform onto the deck. I also started on the design for the depot that will be placed south of the deck trailer.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:40 am

I was in the tiny house caboose this weekend enjoying the AC and cooling off from stretching fence around the girls chicken coop. All of the sudden I had a feeling I wasn't alone. As I scanned the interior of my 8 x 20 mansion I was stopped mid scan by a pair of beady little black eyes. My mind snapped to rat as it's head was way to big to be a mouse. My second thought was how in the hell did he/she get in, the door seals may not pass the sheet of paper test but you can't slide thin cardboard under them. It a flash it was gone. No amount of probing with a small stick would route out my roommate. A bit later I reentered somewhat apprehensively and scanned every surface. I finally saw the swish of a small bushy silver grey tail. It was a piney squirrel , not much bigger than a chipmunk. Somewhat relieved I left the back door open in hopes he/she would simply choose to leave. A bit later as I approached the caboose to get a cold one from the fridge I saw a small silver flash in the underbrush and it seems my roommate had chosen the great out of doors to being locked in a tiny house.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 am

Well the caboose station platform is in place and leveled It was a bit more of a headache than I had anticipated. With rims that had never been removed this century and a frame that refused to slide sideways. However for any tiny house folks that are fighting such a delima I found an answer. I placed 3 4x4's under the frame side to side coated with a little cooking oil. jacked them into place enough to remove the tires and then slid the unit sideways into place. Afterwards I continued jacking until the platform was level with the caboose. I later added 6 additional piers of stacked concrete blocks. I'll try and get some pics soon. UPDATE Here they are !!!!

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 am

Yep that blue RV awning goes up next weekend. Oh I also started on the dead fall hedge apple tree behind the caboose. It has to go so I can get the depot trailer in place. I hope to have it framed before the snow flies so I have a winter project :lol: ( or two or three) :oops:

This is a monster that took down two other trees with it. It looks like a weekends worth of work just getting it cleared out and cut up.

This was 2 hours of work and this is all the dent I was able to make in this mess :frightened:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 am

That's definitely long sleeves work. Sorry I missed you at CRA this year.

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 am

I didn't plan well and I donated a pint or so of blood from cuts on my hands and arms. To make it worse it was overgrown with raspberry bushes as well, and they cut me up. I think you are right long sleeves and gloves next weekend.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Bob, I helped my retired friend over by Kokomo trap some cats- one of those 4 mo old kittens drew blood with its claws!!- he was so nice, until I tried to put him in the box! After that blood-letting, I let the Havahart trap catch them- They were barely tame enough for the animal shelter to adopt out.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:19 pm

HAD A GREAT OLD GAL OF A NEIGHBOR PASS AND WAS ASKED TO HELP CATCH THE BOYS. ( damn cap lock) 5 Tom cats :?

I was ripped to shreds by one of the big tom's ! One of the neighbors and I finally won the war but they can get a bit crazy.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 am

Roof is 1/2 on the tractor barn addition. The rafters went in last weekend and for this long holiday weekend I found a trainable 15 year old dynamo who know little but can follows instructions very well. We now have all the purlins on and 1/2 of the roof's steel in place. About 3 hours and the roof will be complete. I know I know pics :pictures:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Ned B » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:58 pm

:popcorn:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext