Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Postby godskid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Yay for the 15 year old trainable helper! I'm sure he's learning skills he will use all his life. Win for both of you. :D
godskid
The 300 Club

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 am

Well 200 sq feet of the 300 sq feet of steel roofing I purchased for $35.00 is on the implement shed with sheets to spare. The 1x6 10' boards I purchased for $1.50 each where installed as the purlins. HOWEVER the $20.00 per gallon worth of elastopolymer roof coating was a bit of a waste. It seemed to have escaped down the 2.5 / 12 roof slope and missed me by inches I was decorated knees down in white roof coating. It WAS a brand new gallon. My helper was a bit rattled and laid his mop down (on the brown shingled roof). :x I had to make myself scarce I had just told him to be sure and set the bucket over the head of the roofing screws to lock it on the roof. This accident combined with painting the brown shingles white where he lain the mop had me go ballistic. Cooler heads stepped in and the landlady coached him thru the application of the remaining gallon of the coating. I made myself scarce and went to work on the "Platform" party deck.

Monday I finished the 8x20 "platform and the wheel wells that were showing are now gone.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 am

bobhenry wrote:Well 200 sq feet of the 300 sq feet of steel roofing I purchased for $35.00 is on the implement shed with sheets to spare. The 1x6 10' boards I purchased for $1.50 each where installed as the purlins. HOWEVER the $20.00 per gallon worth of elastopolymer roof coating was a bit of a waste. It seemed to have escaped down the 2.5 / 12 roof slope and missed me by inches I was decorated knees down in white roof coating. It WAS a brand new gallon. My helper was a bit rattled and laid his mop down (on the brown shingled roof). :x Image
I had to make myself scarce I had just told him to be sure and set the bucket over the head of the roofing screws to lock it on the roof. This accident combined with painting the brown shingles white where he laid the mop on the shingled roof of the barn had me go ballistic. Cooler heads stepped in and the landlady coached him thru the application of the remaining gallon of the coating.

I made myself scarce and went to work on the "Platform" party deck.

Monday I finished the 8x20 "platform" and the wheel wells that were showing are now gone.

It now is a 8 x 20 rectangle. I hope to get the roll out shade installed next weekend if my little helper is brave enough to show up again after my explosion. Tractor barn addition completed the deck all but done it is time to pull the depot trailer frame into place and start on building it.

Here is a early picture of the depot frame in place near the caboose right after the unit was in place. Image
Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:56 am

Sometimes there's truth in the old saying: If you want something done right, do it yourself! I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson, too bad it was at your expense.m :o
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:01 am

Well the caboose has an extra covered patio (very temporary) Went from this Image
to this..............

To This Image

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:13 am

Did a few toy projects on Monday. Seems a few of my guests objected to my toilet seat perched precariously on a bucket so I got busy

Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 am

Any one remember a year ago the free trash rescued porch glider well it was falling apart and needed some lovin.

I found a stash of unused battens I had cut for the caboose siding and pressed them into service to replace the broken slats.

I even cut to length and reused an old slat to replace the missing drink rest slat "Waste not want not " :lol:

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 pm

That toilet "compartment" is a great idea! I'm taking a paint bucket toilet on a camping trip this weekend, for the middle of the night trips when I don't want to walk as far as the official loo. But gosh, those bucket toilets sit rather LOW to the ground! My knees don't thank me.

Maybe I need to pack a few bricks or something.

(PS For camping trips, I fill the bucket with kitty litter.)
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Look around kid there are 6 and 7 gallon ones that set at 17 inches and better ! ( I have the same problem with my knees )

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... emid=23470
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm

bobhenry wrote:Look around kid there are 6 and 7 gallon ones that set at 17 inches and better ! ( I have the same problem with my knees )

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... emid=23470

Marvelous! Thanks! I just ordered one from Amazon (a little more costly, but easy) in hopes that it might arrive before I leave on Thursday. If it doesn't, there's still the next road trip when it will be useful to have. :D
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:26 am

I have spent the last 2 days drawing and redrawing the Depot . It is a continuation of the Caboose. I took inventory of the 7 doors and 9 windows I have gathered here and there. Working with these features in mind I have drawn the box to accomidate the best choice of these to form the openings. The roof was designed with an offset gable to place the south face at the desired 45 degree slope that is the best mean average for solar at my location. South facing glass has been minimised to reduce cooling load. West wall is our storm path and is a single small door and a 2x2 feature window. The north wall is protected somewhat by the caboose 8 feet away and has the main entry and a large window . The west wall is where the water tank will be located below my elevated bed, I put a single wide squatty window high in this wall for night time ventilation at the bed. Furniture placement is another issue to look at and I am still addressing this issue but the wood will be on site this weekend and the fun begins. It will be framed 3 foot on center with double studded columns and a continuious 2x8 header will run the entire perimeter of the unit. This will lock the walls together and the flat bottom cord of the trusses will be notched to lock on this header to prevent any spreding of the walls and allow a more positive connection with the walls. Lots of thought has gone into this build and I am attempting to bring it in under $2,000. I have had the frame for several years and the furring of it was done long ago I have collected the windows and doors here and there some free and some at yard sales for 20 -30 bucks each. Lumber will be distressed inventory from work slashed to a bare bones discount. I have several thousand square feet of insulated zip panels that were 3 foot by 4 foot drops from a big commercial job. This was the main reason for the somewhat unconventional stud spacing to allow me to sheath the build without ripping the 3x4 sheets. These are some of the thoughts and ideas that I wallowed thru to get ready for the big day. It really IS part of the fun !

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:48 am

If you are kind of scratching your heads trying to get a grasp of what this idiot is doing here is the overview.....

I am trying to get the feel of a train pulled into the station !

The reason for the offset is to preserve the view out of the garden window in the caboose.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Well I have been 2 weeks on Craigslist and here and there trying to find a replacement for my Nu cool fridge that didn't like cold weather. (Yep the operators guide says it must have an ambient temp of at least 45 degrees) Well it operated all winter at mostly outside temps and finally died. Well after 6 or 8 outings to find a replacement cheap I stopped over at a buddy's and there was a nice Haier wine chiller in the garage floor. $30.00 later it was mine. This is a picture off of the internet where it was selling for $329.00 I think I did well.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pchast » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:09 pm

:thumbsup: :applause:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Bob, with all your "bargain finds", I hope you have a smidgeon of room left in the Caboose to hang your Xmas stocking!
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels