Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Getting deep into the design of the live in caboose I think it's time to start documenting the ideas so I can keep track of them.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:44 pm

design ideas.....

floor plan
storage doorway

at the short sidewall near the sink a pull out spice rack and peg board for utensils with a skillet rack below
folding wall mounted dining nook
off of the wall by the sink a fold down desk
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:11 pm

gathering supplies.....

Purchased a small fridge just like this one at a yard sale for $40.00

I have scavanged a nice steel door with etched oval window for free. Just stopped and asked and the homeowner even loaded it for me.

I found a nice old wood door for the faux door that will be added at the rear of the caboose.

I stopped another time another place and knocked and was given a very nice serta full mattress that had just been replaced. . It had been placed out to burn.

I have gleaned my garage and out building goodies and have located 6 insulated windows, a mini double bowl stainless steel sink, a 3 burner cook top. I had been given 3 all steel youngstown kitchen cabinets when the old neighbors moved out. They consist of a 38" sink base a ,21" 2 door cabinet, a 16" 4 drawer base and a 36" wall cabinet. I am almost certain these will see a new coat of paint and portions will be utilized as possible. I have 12 34" wide by 12" deep by 12" tall steel stacking book case cabinets that can be utilized on the cabinet walls until I can afford nicer wood wall cabinets.

The bath area in the wrecked trailer is still intact and has a 4' square soak tub, stool , and sink all lovely avacado green ( maybe it will make a comeback).

I am starting a notebook with drawings and ideas for the build. I am in hopes that the start of the camping season I will be able to sell the barn and the 4x7 to use as seed money to finance the build
Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:34 pm

utilities.....

Here is a brain fart of an idea for rain water harvesting....

I am starting to design from the floor up. That means tanks and battery storage under the floor.

Trying to locate a tank for potable water for cooking and drinking water and a second tank for the harvested water for bathing, washing, and the stool. Pumps are in the garage both 120 volt and 12 volt demand units. They were yard sale finds from some 2 years ago.

Black and grey water tanks are still under the donor trailer but piping needs some repair.

Solar system and low voltage LED lighting needs to be designed and addressed. I am a complete dunce here so I will be asking for assistance when I get there. Solar collector for hot water generation for cool season heating and hot water. Propane will provide extreme cold weather backup for both. Provisions needed for drain down of this type of system. Perhaps a solar hot air collection system could be designed to avoid the freezing problem.

I find myself once again designing in my sleep. It has gotten to the point I keep a pad of paper by the bed to jot down the dream ideas as I awake before I forget them.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby droid_ca » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:56 pm

I like the design can't wait to see what other tricks you have up your sleeves
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

RE: Build Notebook Started

Postby mezmo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi Bob/bobhenry,

Good to see this thread started. I was wondering when you'd start in on
the build and planning is always the start of it all.

What's wrong with Avocado for fixture colors? And for that matter, Harvest
Gold either? Ha.

Just wanted to include this link to an earlier thread in this section
concerning this too:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=46728

I think the design planning is at least half the fun!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:46 am

Mezmo;

Thanks for the flashback link. I almost forgot about my bed elevator project.

I guess I need to be on the hunt for a coulpe of bed frames to incorporate into the lift platform frame.

I will have to put that on my scrounge list.

I guess if I had money the hunt wouldn't be near as much fun :lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Gotta say Bob as a long time train enthusiast (54 years) I expected a more period feel. The old crummy had lots of potential for retro, Icebox (hardware available) lanterns (just add LED's). The water tank and battery were under side but all of the older model had the head dumping out on to the road bed (don't flush in the train station). There is a manufacturere in Toledo making flexible solar panels. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Tom
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:35 am

If I were going to utilize this build as a big camper I could incorporate the observation seats on either side of the center isle and other more original features. However this build will become my full time home. I will be as true as possible outside to the authentic RR look with 4" T-111 to mimic the 4" car siding. I will incorporate grab bars, steps, roof walk planking, and even the front and rear observation decks which will be equiped with ladders, handrails and faux hand brake wheels ( that can be utilized as a small cocktail table ). The inside plan simply must be designed to pack as many creature comforts as possible in a very small space. As I scale draw the 7' x 20' living area an try and add the necessary fixtures things seem to become hugh. It is very much like designing a teardrop galley with so much to cram in such a small footprint. I will try and keep as much railroad flavor as possible inside with lantern lights and period railroad art.

I had a friend drop into work yesterday and had a lead for me on a small 2 - 2 1/2 acre plot with well. It seems the folks lost a mobile home there to a fire and are moving elswhere so the plot will be for sale.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 am

Surfing for yet more small furniture and fixture ideas for the caboose I turned up this nifty little mini kitchen/galley idea. The open slide counter top is to expose a cooktop not shown.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:57 pm

A mini roll around kitchen island ???? :thumbsup:

I just remembered when I saw this pic, I have in the garage from hell a porcelin topped "mixer table" It's a smaller side table that was a mate to the red striped white Hoosier kitchens. It has two doors where the mixer was stored and a single drawer.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 am

While I hope for the bed to lower from the cupalo in the caboose here are some great pics of a combo ships ladder
and a shelving unit. I thought it was a great combination as long as you don't kick off the family pictures.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am

This looks like it's going to be a really fun build Bob. Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 am

Investigating dual voltage set up for the caboose and found this interesting reading........

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/big-steps-in-building-change-our-wiring-to-12-volt-dc.html
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:30 am

Found a few more interesting features that might be valuable to small home builders

A great way to minimize dish clutter as they are washed just tuck them in their "drying cabinet".

I thought these shelving ideas were particularly railroad-esk for the caboose build.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels