Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 am

That's why it pays to be nice to your neighbors. My caboose build was in my driveway at the big house for almost a year while I built it.
I am sure if my neighbors and I were not real tight I would have had someone knocking on my door during the build.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:50 pm

Bob, this government control of people's land had gone way overboard--
I would love to have 3 or 4 laying hens- I have enough room an my oversize 1/3 acre corner lot, it's private, fenced w/ no views to the street, but that is not allowed in my city--"noise, etc", but I know of neighbors a couple blocks away who are miserable from the noise of a scarlet macaw and an amazon parrot on a screened lanai of a canal home-- the screeching travels a long way across water. - they start screeching at the first crack of dawn and keep it up all day. But the quiet cackle of some Rhode Island reds is not allowed. Instead of throwing away our vegetable peelings and leftover bread I could recycle that "garbage" and get some healthier free range eggs for the family. I know people who do it, with the approval of their neighbors- they probably get some of their eggs , too. :)
If you want backyard eggs- move to LA county.
Easy Acres Chicken Sitting, Los Angeles, Calif.
Like Portland, Ore., much of the Los Angeles suburbs have gone to the birds. The Los Angeles County laws allow an unlimited number of hens; one rooster is allowed. Chickens may not be within 20 feet of the owner’s residence and must be at least 35 feet from any other dwelling.

Anna Goeser is a Master Gardener in the Los Angeles area. She owns a small yard and garden business and also Easy Acres Chicken Sitting. Anna has had chickens of her own for 15 years. She started chicken sitting when she discovered a local demand for someone to care for LA’s urban cluckers when their owners went out of town. Pet owners were surprised to discover that it was sometimes difficult to find people to look after their chickens when they went out of town. The problem? “You can’t imagine how many people are afraid of chickens,” said Anna. The solution? Chicken sitting.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Chicken sitters :rofl2:

Now that's funny.

I had 3 Rhode Island reds and 3 Buff Orfingtons (sp) and Daisey the Duck we always had eggs. And yep so did the neighbors on each side :roll:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:52 pm

Gold5one wrote:I would love to have 3 or 4 laying hens-

Yup, that's one of the fringe benefits of owning chickens-

CHICKEN SELFIES!

:lol: :lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:49 pm

bobhenry wrote:
Woodbutcher wrote:Careful Bob, you might find the only use for your land is to bury you on it. :shock:

IT'S PROBABLY NOT ZONED FOR A CEMETERY :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

If all else fails and you can't sell it, do try to get it zoned for a cemetery; and then, put a nice big, upright tombstone on it, with a message that says:

"THE CITY SAID I COULDN'T LIVE HERE."

You could install it early, with you name; but without birth & death dates. You just might get the last laugh. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gold5one » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:32 am

This topic has turned fowl and that reminds me of a true story from around 1985 about a man who lived near me in Zephrrhills, FL who wanted to build an RV park on his land. He was about 1/2 mile off the main road from several large RV parks. The county said -- NO-- he wasn't zoned for that use- his 10 acres was zoned A/R , agricultural/residential. So he went out and bought 50 pigs and started a hog farm. He knew one of the county commissioners lived across the road from him. :twisted:
The following year he went back to apply again for his zoning change. Guess what? His application was approved post-haste!! The following year he had a 50 space country RV park ready for winter visitors-- and the pigs were all gone.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Bob,
Can you build an actual tiny home on the land using the "Log Cabin" law ?
tac422
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:56 pm

The Indiana code 36-7-8-3d (the log cabin law) allows a private owner to build his private residence on his land with exemption from building codes.

As explained to me it DOES NOT exempt the builder from zoning restrictions.

As in most political jump balls the interpretation is at the hands of those who hold the power.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:28 am

So, the land you own is zoned for a home? Could you put a home on it? What defines a home? I assume a foundation....so if you were building with sticks you would be OK? It sounds like since you were building on wheels they considered it a camper and as such not appropriate under the zoning laws?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gold5one » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Bob, it looks like Terre Haute , Indiana isn't adverse to a 160sqft tiny home on wheels-- or maybe the zoning police don't know about it yet-
http://tinyurl.com/lv4gog6
-
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:34 am

God love ya Mark,

I have been looking for some local coverage I will be writing Cara Anthony the reporter for the Indy Star Monday morning. I tried to access Facebook for the tinyhouseindy page but got locked out. Using the library access off of a strange computer it didn't want to acknowledge my birthday????? :x :x :x
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby deleted » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:39 am

Great find Gold5one!

Here's another article (I think the original) that's more accurate and has more details. I Googled "cori cox, tiny house, indiana"

http://www.indystar.com/story/life/2015/02/13/life-square-feet-tiny-houses-move-indiana/23301129/
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gold5one » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 am

I used to live in Indianapolis- I was surprised to see this comment in the article that Stacie found-
A tiny house in the city

In Marion County, a building permit isn't required for a structure of 120 square feet or less. But the structures are considered sheds or mini-barns — not homes.

John Bartholomew, spokesman for the Department of Metropolitan Development, said tiny homeowners would have to apply for variance if they wanted to park their tiny house in the county. Current zoning codes do not include rules and regulations for tiny houses.

I know that I could design such a tiny home-- 120sf= 8x15 or 7 x 17 and include a sleeping loft-
After obtaining approval from the city, I would add on a screened canvas awning /sun room , I used to have an 8x12 one on built over a deck.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:18 am

Wrote to the Indy Star reporter and received an immediate reply. Despite it being her day off she promised that we would get together so she could learn more about my zoning problems. Also linked in with the " Indianapolis tiny house community" and the gals in the article at the appropriate sites on face book.

I also have plan "Z" in the wings. There is a very tiny spit of land that butts up to my east property line. Tuesday I am going to find out who's it is. I think it's another scrap of ground held by the State. I am going to try and buy it. If I am able I already understand from the zoning folks I can camp on my land but no more than 7 days at a stretch.

SSSOOO ! 7 days on one! 7 days on the other! I am thinking some railroad like trucks for support and some 2x2 square tube for rails and breaking camp will be as simple as winching the caboose 25 feet each way. Sound like I am an idiot I know, but I am a pissed off idiot , that's the worst kind.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:13 am

We have 10 days parking in my city- out of town registered RVs can park in driveway/side yard (w/ city permit) for 10 days, then move it to another spot and park another 10 days. Lots of people get the permit and then forget to "move". Most of the time they can stay for a month and nobody complains to code enforcement- the smaller the RV the better. If the RV is registered to you, you have 48hrs parking to load and unload for trips. My neighbor 2 doors down bought a 10 yr old diesel pusher in December- he is still loading it 2 months later- the bank is taking his home back ( he is 70 yrs old), so he hands over the keys and moved into the RV and is waiting as long as he can. The city can't fine him, because the fines would just have to be paid by the bank and they won't upset the bank. He tried and tried to work with the banks for 2 years to refinance and keep his home, but they smell profits, now that the prices have rebounded. He couldn't sell, because it needs a new tile roof ($35K) and he can't afford to do that. Once the bank has full possession he plans to hit the road.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels