Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 am

People have had to apply for variances for various builds in this state, too. I think part of it is to give people owning surrounding property notice and a chance to give their opinion. After all, if they weren't given that opportunity, they would be able to sue both you and the government. So, it becomes a bit of a pain in the you-know-where even though it covers everyone's you know what. :lol:

Best wishes to you, Bob.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 am

I got the caboose property mowed up real nice yesterday evening. I built a stand for the zoning variance sign and installed it. It's now ready to hang the sign. ( It needs to be up by the 12th).

I hope to make the lot look so much nicer than the weed patch it was, that the zoning folks may relent somewhat with their resistance to the tiny house idea.

Received a nice PM on here yesterday from a young couple who are just a few miles away. They want to build a tiny house.
In fact their parents want to build one also. We are all going to meet at the Caboose on Sunday evening to look over things and talk about tiny houses :applause:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:01 am

Met with Lisa, Adam, and their parents. Had a great visit ! Hope they got a lot of good ideas. This co-op adventure is a definite win - win. I am at a loss on solar and they have some experience with it. They are not quite sure of the build steps and I am sure I can help them in that area. Looking forward to helping them build a couple of tiny houses. Yep a couple. Mom and Dad are on board to build one also. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Shar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:22 pm

:applause:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:18 am

Well some of the hoop jumping is now behind me. Certified letters have been sent to all adjoining landowners.
proof of the sending of them has been presented to the zoning board. I even snapped them some pics

of the sign being up as necessary by the 13th of this month. ( 13 days prior to the meeting ) . Now I just need some dry days before the 26th to paint the caboose a kinder gentler color to pacify the board members.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby stonykill » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Almost home!
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:46 pm

:thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:26 am

Well this morning I typed out a press release and cover letter to the local newspapers and TV stations to see if any interest could be stirred up.

The press release.....

On Tuesday August 26th at 6:30 the Clinton County Zoning Board will address the subject of Tiny Homes.
A request has been made for special exception to current zoning laws that will allow a tiny house to become a member of their community.
Tiny homes are becoming popular with the younger just out of college crowd as a way to seriously cut living expenses allowing them to repay students loans with greater comfort. They are also popular with the empty nest sector for the economic advantages offered by this life style.
Cheaper to build, Cheaper to heat and cool, they are a smaller version of a true home. They retain all the creature comforts and labor saving devices some just in a smaller version. They are able to be built on smaller here to for nuisance lots allowing these properties to be place back on the tax rolls.
This concept is being embraced in Washington and Oregon State and Texas has declared the first tiny house friendly city.
Frankfort Indiana has the youngest active mayor and his youthful thinking has lead this community forward with great strides in the quality of life. This writer hopes the same 21st century thinking will be echoed by the county zoning board with regard to this kinder gentler way of life in a tiny house.

Bob Henry

and the cover letter

The enclosed is being submitted for your interest. It is also an invitation to reporters interested in covering the meeting and perhaps delving further in this new lifestyle where less is more. Perhaps your paper might entertain an entry level article on the tiny house movement.
By entering “Tiny house” in a computer search a whole other world opens up. Tiny ginger bread homes, ultra-modern homes, some whimsical, others simple yet elegant, they are all in that search.
My two year effort in building my home and locating waste salvage land for sale by the State is almost to an end. What remains is to get recognized as a viable home and be allowed to become legal.
I offer you a link to a blog like chronicle of my efforts from design conception to date.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47804

If you find any of this of possible interest to your readers I will be available to assist in any way possible

Bob Henry

I also sent an e mail to the mayor asking him for his support with copies of the above.

Sure would be sweet if a TV crew happened to stick their lense into the meeting. Perhaps the board members would take the matter a bit more serious.
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:17 am

Good luck Bob. I hope all the effort you put in is not wasted on people that can't look forward.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:02 pm

I REALLY LIKE THIS GUY !

Got this E-Mail from the mayor about 1/2 hour ago.....

Chris McBarnes
To Me

Today at 12:52 PM

Bob,

Thank you so much for reaching out. You are extremely thorough in your research and I certainly appreciate that. I am happy to reach out to county officials and express my interest in this movement. It certainly is an extremely progressive way of thinking that would give individuals affordable options in the future. As the economic landscape of our country continues to change, I believe rural communities need to think outside of the box when it comes to these initiatives.

I look at education and housing as being two key components in our community's future growth potential. We need to continue to strive to do a better job in these areas, and leaders are working to obtain just that. The Tiny Homes movement would be a way of exercising this progress.

I look forward to researching this more through the information you have provided and from there I will speak to county officials about this movement.

I thank you for keeping the best for the community in mind. Have a wonderful weekend.

Sincerely,

Chris McBarnes,Mayor
301 East Clinton Street
Frankfort,IN 46041
(765)654-7332
www.frankfort-in.gov

Purpose.Passion.Progress
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby stonykill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:36 pm

that is fantastic. Your mayor is a keeper
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Boy do I wish we had that kind of thinking in our county supervision back here in the Moonshine capital of the South. Very refreshing.
Bob, I do not know you, but I have been following your story and wish you the best of luck.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:15 pm

:thumbsup:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby ParTaxer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:51 am

We're in there with you Bob!

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby Nansplace » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:14 am

FINALLY!!!!!! I am so glad to hear that someone is finally listening to you with an open mind about the tiny house movement. You've worked really hard at trying to get someone to at least listen to you and I think you've found the best possible person to do that. Hopefully he will do his research and persuade others to do the same. Sometimes persistance really does pay off. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :applause:
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels