Caboose rebuild

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Caboose rebuild

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 pm

night*sky wrote:WOOT!!! My train wreck of a TT is finally home!! :applause: :D :thumbsup:

Pics and details on the blog.

:applause: YAY! :applause:
...It's a GOOD DAY!

(But, sorry to hear that you've been a victim of International credit card fraud. At least the bank caught it!)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pappaw » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 am

Hi night*sky:

I have no pictures or info. :(

However, the pictures of the trailer in the magazine story you posted, are the trailers I remember seeing, (kewl, they are the ones I remember seeing). :D

Cheers :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Postby night*sky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:13 am

So, I'm huddled in the house as the snow falls outside, thinking about the caboose. This is the part where I start asking lots of stupid questions. LOL

For example: Now that it's finally home, how do I go about the disassembly process? Obvious the interior shelves, seating, fixtures need to come out first. Then what? Windows? Interior paneling? Exterior siding? Is there some sort of proper order to do this? I peeked under the one piece of loose siding yesterday and what I saw was rotten wood framing, not to say that there isn't steel in there somewhere as well. One account I read of the building process was that the walls were made in basically one piece on the floor, then lifted up and attached to the base. Of course, that was the production Semaphore model, not the ALTI version.
night*sky
Teardrop Advisor

Postby night*sky » Tue May 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Nothing new to report except I will be changing the name of the blog to reflect the fact that my prototype is not actually a Semaphore. Instead I've named it NightskyAndPrairiewind.blogspot.com. The change will take effect in a day or two.
night*sky
Teardrop Advisor

Postby night*sky » Tue May 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Hmmm, I changed my sig to the new blog name, not sure why it's still showing semaphorecaboose.
night*sky
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mezmo » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 pm

All we get yet, is a message from Blogger saying the blog has been removed.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby night*sky » Fri May 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Ok, try it again, I think I've got it sorted now. :oops:
night*sky
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wagondude » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 pm

I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but I was pleasantly surprised to catch a glimpse of one of these cool old trailers near The Lake of the Ozarks this past weekend.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby night*sky » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:34 pm

wagondude wrote:I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but I was pleasantly surprised to catch a glimpse of one of these cool old trailers near The Lake of the Ozarks this past weekend.

This post is worthless without pictures. :lol: :lol:

Any more details about the sighting? Was it mobile or stationary, as in Could I go look at it myself? I'd love to actually see one "in the flesh" as it were, since all I've ever seen are exterior photos.

I still haven't started on the demolition of my train wreck yet, but I'm back in the south for the winter so once I get the house remodel finished I'll be able to start on it. I still don't have a definite floor plan worked out yet, but heavily leaning towards a tiny house type layout, bedroom in the front, kitchen to the right side toward the middle and the rest as open and devoid of cabinets etc as possible. I keep going through threads here and and on several other trailer/RV/boat/tiny house forums collecting ideas. One of these days I'll have to try and learn how to use SketchUp.
night*sky
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wagondude » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Couldn't get pictures as I was driving. My wife would have been furious if I had stopped in some strangers driveway to look at a trailer. It was parked in the yard and looked in decent shape (at least at 45 MPH). If it wasn't 4 hours away from me I would go back to see it.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby night*sky » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Dumb question of the day #926:
Can I use Formica to build a shower surround? I believe that whatever is in the caboose bathroom originally is a Formica type product, and that got me thinking (dangerous thing) that I could perhaps use it to redo the bathroom in the s&b house.

I paid a guy to replace the old tub with a corner shower, and 2 years later this is the result. :x :x :x :x

At first I thought I might be able to just replace the rotted subfloor under and around the shower pan, but the cheap surround plastic stuff cracked while trying to access the screws holding the pan. I can't buy just the surround part, and don't really want to spend $450 for another complete shower for this bathroom. I thought about using milk house liner (not sure what the stuff is actually called, white pebbly looking sheets commonly used in dairies and hog confinements) but them thought Formica would look a lot nicer. First, is it do-able, and second, how would I seal the seam in the corner where the 2 sheets would meet?
night*sky
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:48 pm

I on a couple of occasions made darkroom sinks out of fiber-glassed plywood and they worked well. Formica is a plastic laminate which can be applied to many types of substrates so yes you can.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby d120 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I assume you are talking about the walls behind your shower tub.I used to buy something called bestile and would make quick and easy shower walls with it. I would use contact cement to apply it,and they also sold small plastic strips for the seams,and then you silicone youre seams.not something you are gonna see in a magazine but functional
d120
Teardrop Builder

Postby mdk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:23 am

I had hoped to see pictures of this thing on the inside...

I wonder if any of that's possible...
5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
mdk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby seabee74 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:06 am

seabee74
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels