What Problems Have You Had Building a Tiny House on Wheels?

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

What Problems Have You Had Building a Tiny House on Wheels?

Postby rolynda » Mon May 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I am building my first tiny house and would like to research any problems people have had building their tiny houses for the first time. I am in hopes of saving time and resources with this information. Thanks for the response.
rolynda
Teardrop Inspector

Re: What Problems Have You Had Building a Tiny House on Whee

Postby s60088 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:32 am

Hello, Lonely Poster from 2013!

I wanted to build a tiny-house on wheels since 2013 and only now am doing it. I bought a Harbor Freight trailer, 1,720# bearing load. Nightmare of headaches in missing parts and unknowledgable technical support.

I am reinforcing the frame and adding on structurally to support a larger footprint than the 4' x 8' trailer. I'm an architect and know pretty well my structural concepts.

My issue now: Dumbly thought that I could build all within my garage. Duh... height issue. So, now, I wonder if I should build in sections.... might make future modifications or moving easier....just bolt together and use hurricane straps on roof for strength.

Other option: Build first, then raise onto trailer and bolt into place.

I've decided to use treated lumber for the base framing with steel studs for the walls and roof.

Update on your own project/s.
-S.
s60088
Teardrop Inspector

Re: What Problems Have You Had Building a Tiny House on Whee

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 am

ok ok Your private message brought me out of the weeds. You have addressed nothing that will allow us to help. How big ? What shape ? Are you building a tiny camper or a tiny (full time live in) house? What is going inside ? Maybe show off some of that architect skill with a pencil drawing. I will be more than glad to help and have 5 successful builds of campers and two tiny homes (one stationary and one on wheels). I know you can project material weights so when you get all the lumber and metal studs calculated on paper what does the collection weigh ? Is the HF trailer adequate ? My caboose is 8 x 20 and is barely adequate as a full time residence. A HF trailer as a base you will be limited to the 6 wide 12 long range and I bet even the material in that little box will exceed your frames capabilities.

Perhaps a larger donor trailer is lurking out there somewhere........Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels