Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby pchast » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Love the Moose! :lol:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shar » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Hope your healing process is smooth and quick, Bob! I will treat this as a cautionary tale the next time I approach my power tools. :frightened:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:35 am

bobhenry wrote:
bobhenry wrote:
bobhenry wrote:
bobhenry wrote:While not related to the house in a house here is how I have been spending some of my weekends just to stay busy. :laughter:

OLD POST UPDATED 8/18/14

Got some new pics of the pole barn project.

pegged the diagionals with 1" hardwood dowels

The 2 foot cantilever at the ends will support fly rafters so total length will be 24 foot ( no wasted plywood ) :D

here is one peg being driven in. Note the hurricane clips on each truss to plate connection !

UPDATED AGAIN Here is the latest with the roof shingled

The little growth on the back is a 5 foot tall dog house addition. It will be open behind the tractor just in case the bush hog mower gets backed in a bit too deep.
The bottom girt board in the pic will be removed for the 12 foot width. The little 3 x 4 area remaining on the far end is reported to be a future nesting box for a few chickens. :?

Sure would make a nice tiny house :thinking:

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE :D

And yet another update

As I think I mentioned I called in the troops as I only had one good hand and Sammy and Allen jumped up and finished weathering in the barn. All that is left is a garage door and service door installation and about 200 feet of corner and joint trim and it's done done done !

Yep we mixed in a few shingles as we were running short!

These two south facing openings will be glazed with the last of Chubby's bronze lexan as celectrial windows.

Found an absolutely free 9 light wood door and it more or less matches the 4 light horizontal slider windows beside it.

Need to get the test window down and install the sliders and install about 200 feet of corner and joint trim and it will be beautiful even if I say so myself :roll:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:51 am

Ok Ok one other thing.......

Since it is so far between girts a 2x4 will need to be installed vertically at the panel joints to keep them aligned not a big thing just one more little task. :roll:

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:28 am

Well back onto the house in a house subject.......

Trying to stay warm has been a bit of a challenge since winter arrived early ( single digit wind chills) I decided to get busy with the ceiling insulation.

2 layers of r 11 fiberglass blankets didn't want to stay in place without drooping so I solved the problem with some 1" blue residential Styrofoam.
Now R 22 plus R 5 for the foam total R 27. Makes a big difference in the comfort level. The drywall is next just need a good helper for the day and about another week for my two amputated fingers to further heal.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Hey Bob, just read about your TS accident. When I was building my teardrop I was using an early Shopsmith for my TS. I would hook my left thumb on the left of the table and that would keep my left fingers a long way away from the blade. BUT, one day my fingers grew several inches in less than a second and the tip of one contacted the blade. I pulled my hand back and clenched the offended digit in my right hand and watch blood seep out of my clenched fist. Took me a moment to open up my hand to see how many pieces was in there. I got lucky, very, very lucky. got scratched buy maybe 2 teeth. Wash off the blood put some iodine stuff on it and a band aid and I was back to work in 15 minutes. In the end it did not hurt nearly as bad as when I got my thumb jammed in the belt sander.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:56 am

We are involved with a large commercial build at work and a new type of zip panel was specified. This is a fiberglass faced 7/16 osb with 1 1/2 inches of closed cell fiberglass reinforced insulation giving an R value of 6.6.

http://www.huberwood.com/zipsystem/products/zip-system-rsheathing

I am collecting the window and door cut outs and squaring them well to be applied as a sub floor over the concrete floor in the house in a house. They will simply be placed on the floor like giant floor tiles.

With -11 air temps this week I have not even tried to heat the house. My sister was hospitalized for a heart attack and they found the cause to be partially blamed on her kidneys shutting down ( 37 years a diabetic). Well I decided to house sit for her as she is only about 2 miles from my place. I miss my house in a house and there is still a lot to do but at -1 inside the shop area of the building it's just too damn cold to have any fun with saws. Despite the total absence of any heat it was staying in the low 30's in the house thanks to the R 18 walls and the R 27 in the ceiling. I think by eliminating the cold seeping in thru the concrete floor it will improve further. I also was a bad boy and didn't get the outside wall in the closet in the bed room and the outside walls of the angled pantry off of the kitchen insulated yet. :oops:

These will be a priority as soon as the temps moderate a bit.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:12 am

bobhenry wrote: as soon as the temps moderate a bit.

YEAH RIGHT :x :x

The only thing steamy around here is me.

I have been a Hoosier all my life and I can not remember it staying this bitter cold this damn long. We get a couple maybe three weeks like this in early January then it moderates. I am still at sis's going on 7 weeks. I am taking the money I would have spent on propane and donating it to help her with her heat bill. I need to build something, I am going stark raving mad. :CC
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:14 pm

How is your sister doing ?
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:51 am

PKCSPT wrote:How is your sister doing ?

I take her to dialysis Tues and Thursday when she doesn't feel like she is safe to drive herself. They moved the shunt from her neck to her arm and she looks like she lost a fight to a running chain saw on that arm. God love her I don't know how she puts up with all the medical crap in her life. I have been cooking and cleaning up for her when she doesn't feel good and we are staying warm so I guess that is as good as it's gonna get.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Verna » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:13 pm

You're a good brother, Bob!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 am

Well spring has arrived :oops: maybe.!!!

I am heading back to the house in a house. Being ill prepared for -4 temps and the fact that sis needed my help I became a squatter. Lured by cable TV, central heat, running water, and laundry facilities I fell from grace and reverted back to my old ways. Well last night I pried open the big door and spent a couple hours picking up and reorganizing. I installed a new bag in mister stinky and took leaky Larry outside to thaw in the sunshine. (Leaky larry is the big blue water jug where I deposit #1)
I unloaded the 1 1/2 insulated fiberglass faced osb cut outs that will be installed as insulated flooring to provide an R 6 insulated floor NEXT winter. The 5x10 flat bed utility trailer is now empty so I can remove all the piers under the caboose and get it ready to move by the 1st to avoid further court fines and fees. Standing in the doorway yesterday with the big roller door rolled open I felt the warm sunshine streaming in and a thought occurred. I have 14 vinyl window sashes and a couple nice full glass exterior doors. I an seriously thinking about a wall full of windows with entry door that can be rolled into place when the roll door is left open. The building has the big lugs welded to the I beams and a 4x4 could be attached and a wall that will be on casters (lots and lots of casters) can be hinged to swing into place to effect solar gain while leaving out the elements. Oh well it's just another pie in the sky project.

It appears I have negotiated a home for the caboose as well. It is to be tucked in a beautiful meadow with a southern face for the solar equipment. I can act as the Mister fix it for rent so the cost is great. It has access problems as I will have to hike in unless the ground is really solid and very dry. It was made very clear that no ruts will be allowed and might be a cause for my eviction if it occurs. It is far off the beaten path so will probably be a weekend get away while staying at the house in a house during the week. The job is about to the last frayed knot and will shortly be history so I am scrambling to get all the financial things in order. The shop will become a woodworking and craft shop and I will be enjoying the weekends as a vendor at flea markets and yard sales hawking my goods to earn my daily bread.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rebapuck » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:19 am

I thoroughly enjoy reading about all your projects. I don't know how you do it. I get exhausted just reading about them.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:32 am

rebapuck wrote:I thoroughly enjoy reading about all your projects. I don't know how you do it. I get exhausted just reading about them.

Well hang on to your shorts because the caboose is about to become a full time live in home. I have a second 8x20 trailer that will become the "Depot platform" (basically a deck) right beside the caboose.Image
This will be the summer that the utility wagon is born ! The glider trailer......Image I was given will be repurposed to hold solar air heaters, solar water heaters, solar photoelectric cells, a bulk water storage tank, and a remote wood stove inside a plenum. The stove's outer housing will allow hot air to be drawn into the caboose controlled by a thermostatically controlled air exchange fan. The rain water harvesting system will be installed on the caboose roof eves and plumbed to the 275 gallon bulk storage tank. Hell it's contagious Now I am exhausted thinking about the work coming up. I will take lots of pics and try and chronical my exercise into off grid living.

I am going to be adding roof walk planks to the caboose along with decals and lettering making it more railroad'esk. I will gain 100 cubic yards of storage over here at the house in a house shop once all the tanks and batteries and solar equipment and ....and .... and are removed from here and installed on site.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:26 pm

How far do you have to hike in, to this "no rut" location? Would they allow a bike trail or a skinny path like that?
godskid
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels