HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:21 am

And on to a little more tasteful note......Image

Found a nice cedar 2x4 in a cull pile at work so I brought it home (with the bosses blessing). I took my hole saw and drilled a 2" hole at the ends and inserted a rail that in a former life was a safety rail for a child's bed.

You can see in this pic there is a bracket that wraps up and over the 2x4 I screwed this bracket to the top of the 2x4 to gain extra support. I thought I may have to add decorative chains to the ceiling but was very pleasantly surprised how sturdy this shelf is without the chain addition.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:31 am

Was trolling Goodwill and found a warming server. The 3 little round balls were the feet and the dozen or so little arms each formed a closed loop were a carafe may have sat. I took out my trusty 4" grinder equipped with a cutting wheel and snipped off a portion of the loop to make them into a hook. I will mount the unit feet up and the hooks will be utilized as a cooking utensil storage rack.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:30 am

We are starting to wonder if winter will ever let go with 25 degree temps this morning but I an sure the days are numbered before summer arrives. I totaled the propane gas bills for this heating season and arrived at $286.00. The last fill yesterday is included in that number and should last me for 3 to 4 more weeks if we stay 30 degrees plus at night. I thought back to the big house and the 250 to 300+ a month heating bills. It was no stretch to get upwards of $2200 for the season. from the big house to the house in a house IS AN 87% REDUCTION ! :shock: in heating cost.

I did reduce the heated area to 150 square feet by adding an atrium door between the living room and the rest of the rooms in the house.

I resided primarily in the living room and only heated the area when I was home. A mattress heating pad and a heated lap throw were my two best friend on cold nights. A couple of the -10 degree nights I may have stayed in my hooded sweatshirt but I was comfortable. Yes tiny house living sometimes approaches the trials associated with camping but oh well I like camping too.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:26 am

Damn has it been 2 years !...... "Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00 am

Well tonight is the last night I will sleep in the house of 24 years. A lot of memories and a lot of love went into the house and went on in the home. It's with a tear filled eye I walk away from a good old house however, I am so looking forward to the new adventures ahead ."

4/12/14 was my 1st night in the house in a house. Where did that 2 years go?
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 23, 2016 9:55 am

If you have been over to the caboose thread you have already seen this but here goes......Well once again life has dictated my path. I have been looking and studying how to finish some of the walls in the caboose shower and cooking areas. My tiny house is placed where it will hopefully stay (baring any overzealous zoning inspectors) so I am now looking at ceramic tile. Yes I know its heavy and yes I know it can crack and yes I know it is not totally waterproof in and of itself but it was decided for me. I lost my buddy of 30 year about a month ago, and having know all his family almost as long, they know I am a packrat. He had somehow amassed a huge collection of ceramic tile. If you need to know how huge think 3 pick up loads or how about a 8 x 8 foot cube 3.5 foot tall. All the trim pieces as well ,and everything in a rainbow full of colors. I was offered the mess by the family and I took it. So the shower area for sure and maybe the whole bath area ! The back splashes are another possible project in the galley kitchen. I have three stacks of the fiberglass faced osb each about 6 foot tall so it will become the backer board for the tile. The current counters are nice Formica tops but they don't match perhaps a little creativity with tile there as well. Again total cost zero ( until I go to buy the application supplies) . I really had no plans such as this and yes I may live to regret it but life is an adventure so why not at least try and take the road less traveled. :D

This project will be carried thru in the house in a house as well The kitchen wall behind the stove needs some lovin'

and the in the house outhouse could benefit from some tile work as well.

it will definitely make it easier to keep clean and sano'
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 31, 2016 6:40 am

Well Memorial day was a warm and sunny morning. I found a little pocket park less than 5 miles from the house in a house. So I took the weeks dishes and decided to take advantage of free water.

My only company was an older fella walking his 2 dogs and the cute little jogger in the background of the second picture.

Took my weeks trash to the recycling and donated a small bag of "trash" trash to a local apartment complex.

Picked up some boxes to organize the pieces and parts at the house in a house. All in all it was a very productive morning.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:22 am

From Memorial day weekend all the way to 10 days before Christmas. Man what a change......

It was reported on the news to be 4 degrees outside as the current temperature this morning. I stepped out in the shop and the thermometer out there said it was 11 degrees ! I looked at the thermometer in the kitchen area and even unheated it was 34 !

I was hunkered down in the living room with the little heater on low and it was long sleeve comfortable and I have to guess about 68 degrees.

I guess I was most surprised that the unheated areas were 30 degrees warmer than outside thanks only to the insulation I have stuffed in the walls and ceiling.

I have just emptied my first full 20# LP gas cylinder of this heating season :applause:

Put on the big 40# when I got home to get me thru this arctic spell of weather for the remaining month. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pchast » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Bob did you see tiny homes are now going to be in the building codes:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2016/12 ... ng-eletter
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:49 am

Been following it real closely. It has been a real hot potato for local zoning folks tossing families out of there tinys who have been in them years or more because they don't know how to handle them. My incident In Frankfort In was a good example. All the time and money to purchase the property and move onto it to be fined and ordered off. I think when I get the flea market fliver done I will park it over there just to mess with them.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 am

Wow 6 months since the last post........ I wanted to take a moment and extole on the joy of owning an inverter. A not so good morning at the house in a house....Got a late start to work and was coming from a night at the caboose which is a 45 minute drive just to the HIH. While looking for my cell phone had Becky call me but no ring anywhere in the truck. I shook out all tof the clean clothes stacked in the front seat thinking the phone may be in the stack somewhere and muffled. So I continued to spend time I didn't have looking for my cell phone and it was no where to be found. I even took time to go up the hill thinking I might have left it in the caboose. No luck .Oh well what the hell : I gave up and went to work. I stopped off at the HIH and changed out of my sweats into Jeans and emptied the front seat of clean clothes and other junk . I was off to work already 45 minutes behind my normal departure time. Rolled the door shut and snapped the padlock and as I did I panicked and reached to feel for my keys in my pocket. MY VERY EMPTY POCKET ! Oh sh** now with no cell phone and no keys here I stand......WTF to do. I cross my fingers.... My truck is nosed up tight to the door.... Maybe just maybe.... I look in the tool box and there is my inverter to convert the 12 volt in my truck battery to 120 ac..... Ran to the other side knowing my 4" grinder is probably in the caboose....OMG there it is... Well the cord on the grinder is just not quite long enough to get from the inverter attached to the battery to the lock.... Looking for an extension cord and there it was..... Now the battery clamps are attached to the battery but the eyelet that attaches them to the inverter is missing a nut that holds them on. I spent 4 minutes digging thru the truck tool box in hopes of finding the missing connector but no luck. I finally bent the hell out of the eyelet till it made contact and the grinder gets rolling. It did makes short work of the lock :thumbsup:

I get back inside the HIH and grab my keys laying on the bed under my sweats. On the dresser I even had an extra padlock to replace the destroyed one. Now ready to roll I took inventory to be sure the keys were now actually in my pocket then snapped on the new lock to secure the house in a house for the day and race off to work. I took my place in line behind 10 -12 employee's cars and a loaded semi all waiting on me to open the shop. I got the chain down and the shop opened and had 2 minutes to spare before the 7:30 bell :applause: What a morning.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Wow!! It's amazing how resourceful you are though -- to be able to get that padlock off, and then even to have a spare padlock already!

I hope you found your phone eventually, too.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:39 am

Well winter is almost here! I woke up to ice on the truck door and a frosted over windshield as I departed for work at 6 AM this morning. I was toasty last night with the little wall heater set as low as it would go. I got Home Wednesday night and immediately hooked up a propane tank to the regulator and fired up the heater. I was smart enough to get all eight of the propane tanks filled in June when the price was bottomed out. Puttered around in the shop getting things ready to drag out to the Depot job site on my Friday day off and prepare for my long weekend of building.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:07 am

I am about to have a four year anniversary.......HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00 am

Well tonight is the last night I will sleep in the house of 24 years. A lot of memories and a lot of love went into the house and went on in the home. It's with a tear filled eye I walk away from a good old house however, I am so looking forward to the new adventures ahead .

The 12th will be 4 years to the day I moved into the house in a house. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:31 am

WELL WHERE IT THE DEVIL DID THAT YEAR GO ???

After buying 56 metal cabinets from a construction demolishion job I have sold enough to get back all my investment and turn a bit of a profit. I did keep 18 of the 56 cabinets for the House in a house wood shop outside tiny house front door. Pardon the clutter but this is one of the 2 stations set up and ready to stock with the shop tools.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:36 am

Here is station number 2 ready to be installed.....Image
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext