HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:16 pm

dales133 wrote:Enjoy reading your threads bob but hadnt caught up for a while.
Sorry ro hear about your injury!
I bare the scars of lack of attention on woodworking machinery too ...hows the recovery going?

Other than having 2 less fingernails to trim there is little difference. The accident was last October and they are still a bit clumsy at times depending on what I am trying to do. Thank God it was my non dominant (left) hand.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dales133 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Good to hear,mine was my left index finger witch is my dominant hand but i was young at the time and learned to get ambidexterous fastly!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:24 am

Where in the world did September and October go ?

Well this was the year for hospital disasters. Since my colon surgery I have been putt putting around and getting a little light duty stuff done and have not even been staying at the house in a house. Well I will be back to work full time on the 16th so I will have to dust out the HIH and get the fireplace going. If I look around I can find my mattress pad heater and my heated throw so I can get ready for those cold nights to come.

I have lights to be added to the shop area and workbenches and a bunch of shelving to build so there is plenty of things to do. I have been a real good boy and took light duty (15 pound limit) seriously to avoid trouble. ( We won't mention the torn out stitches after wrestling with the 40 pound bags of potting soil used to decorate the caboose)

Well I WAS feeling better till then.

All is well again and I am ready to get back to work and back in the HIH. I will miss my gal pal, but that 100+ mile round trip to work is all but impossible so my little 15 minute hop from the HIH to work is looking like a breeze.

This little taste of retirement has me looking forward to living in the caboose when it happens but I want to get a bit of a nest egg built up before I let go of my job.
I love my work and the people there so it's not hard to stay but it sure cuts into my project time :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Sabatical » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:33 pm

The caboose is looking pretty nice.
Sabatical
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Sabatical wrote:The caboose is looking pretty nice.

Yes it is! Bob, will you go out there on weekends?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:36 am

The long term plan is to have the "shop" here in the HIH and the caboose will eventually be home. I am anxious to get the caboose finished this winter and early spring.

The shop will allow me to build small primitives and my novelty lamps and hit the flea market circuit .

I also hope to do small handyman jobs out of this shop.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby deafdrummer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Hello bobhenry,

Interesting idea you have here. I don't know that I would go the route you took (house in a pole barn), though while I lived in an apartment for several years in Houston, I had thought about building a "room inside a room," complete with free-standing walls bolted together and ceiling frames slid on top of the free standing walls. That way, I would have a better-insulated room at the front door, and none of it would touch the apartment's original structure except on the carpet, where you would see the depressed areas from the bottom wall framing and perhaps spaced out subfloor spacers. The idea was that the "RIR" had to be designed so that any piece could be taken down/unbolted and moved aside so that maintenance could get to whatever wall/ceiling/fixture needed servicing. It was a great idea, but I never got around to it, herding emergency bills like I was herding cats. Always something, you know.

Interesting that you have a chess set that you picked up and restored. The chess set that you see here is a replica 1950 Dubrovnik chess set, which is interesting because the bishop pieces have opposing color finial balls on the top. I love the bright crimson red of the dark side (the red in the photo is too dark,) The board is made of maple for the white squares and African Palisander wood for the other squares and framing. I use this for playing outside in a coffee house or some place because it's too big to play in my 7.5X18 travel trailer that I live in. I also have this one that I use for playing inside my house, as it's magnetic, and I can move it aside when I have to get up - I eat, sleep, read, and do computer stuff on my 6'X20" bed - http://www.houseofchess.com/travel-ches ... pawns.html I'm not a good chess player, so I tend to play a variety of "solitaire" chess games with myself.

But now, you have me thinking... I have thought about building a house with a portable building like a Derksen cabin and finishing the inside out. Your thread reminded me that I can probably do the "House-in-a-house" in one of these if I buy one that is bigger than I need it to be, and then frame out an additional wall frame to double the thickness of the external wall and ceiling rafters so that I can install more insulation, and I wouldn't be concerned about losing the additional space, as the wall-to-wall dimensions would be what I need them to be anyway. I would have to wonder if I want to fill in the insulation space of the original walls, lay plywood over the wall, and then frame out an additional wall right up against the plywood wall, insulate it, and then put in the insulation before walling off with the intended wall paneling that I want. It would be HELL to have to take apart this kind of wall if I had to go in for wiring or plumbing repairs, UNLESS I run the wiring/plumbing inside the interior wall instead of the outer wall. Or just put the additional wall framing right up against the original framing and clip them together before running wiring and plumbing and insulation. I might even do the same thing for the flooring except for the front door area so the door can open and clear the raised flooring. It gets awful hot down here, and I’m not one for cold weather, either...

But I have time as I look around for a new job and continue to decide whether I want to 1) strip my little travel trailer down to the steel frame and aluminum body frame to turn into a lightweight tiny house, 2) turn a Derksen cabin into a tiny house, or 3) buy a used cargo trailer of the size I want with the features I need and convert that into another travel trailer and sell this one after I have stayed in the new one for a while to troubleshoot anything. No matter which way I go, it’s going to take money upfront, so I have potentially many months before I can do anything.

Stephanie
Attachments
chess-set-07.jpg
chess-set-07.jpg (148.34 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
deafdrummer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:59 pm

deafdrummer wrote:Hello bobhenry,

Interesting that you have a chess set that you picked up and restored.

Stephanie

This set is a combination of just dumb good luck. I found the pieces at a yard sale for $15.00 a season ago

The board is a 3rd generation heirloom built by my great uncle passed down to dad and then to me.

I fastened it to a cast off table pedestal several years ago. Since these pictures I used neutral shoe polish on the maple pieces and some black polish on the black pieces. It was amazing how a little TLC changed the look of the pieces.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:20 am

Well here we are in December and I finally had to fill my propane tanks for the HIH. $52.00 was the total for my heating bill so far this season.

And the "House in a house" is 4 times as big as the Caboose. Think what I will save once the caboose has his fireplace installed. :D

Last edited by bobhenry on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:44 am

Are you using that vent free fireplace with logs and a grill in the caboose? If not, I might be interested. I have hacked two of them and used them as inserts in my 120+ year old house.
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:13 am

You talking about this one ?

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:48 pm

That's the one. Once I get through hacking, it looks like the fireplace was made that way. Anyway, your caboose is looking good.

Mike W
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:57 pm

I bought a pair. One for our house and one for my sons little house. I think I had $550 +/- in the pair.

Does $150.00 sound fair? If so its yours, it's natural gas and I am off grid and using propane.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 pm

Price sounds right. Natural Gas is good. How many BTUs? And do you have the grill?

Thanks, I just have one more fireplace to convert.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:44 am

well I decided there was no reason for a nice new 6' atrium door to set out in the shop leaning against a wall when it could be put in place and make the living room a 120 sq ft space that would be much easier to heat. So at midnight last night with tape measure in hand I decided to check the distance between the front wall and the tee wall at the broom closet. The distance was 72 1/2" ( the door is 71 1/2" ) :applause:

I slid the door assembly thru the front door with 1/4" to spare. I need a helper to guard the other side so I don't drop it while trying to get it screwed into the framing but it is going in this weekend. The little fireplace has done a good job so far but we haven't seen the single digit temps yet so I decided to simply make the living room smaller and thereby easier to heat. Last year I had a very temporary blanket wall draped up to attempt something like this. While it helped it left a lot to be desired.

You are standing in the kitchen and if you look close you see the door handle to go outside into the shop on the right. The door assembly will hit the front wall almost at the wall switch leaving it in the kitchen but barely.

Here is the pantry wall where it will meet on the other side. (The couch had been moved in this picture so don't let it throw you.)

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels