Is a tiny house on a HF frame possible?

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Is a tiny house on a HF frame possible?

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:50 pm

So here's the question of the day...

Is it possible to build a tiny house, on a harbor freight trailer? tumbleweed style?

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Granted we are talking about a radical downsizing from the tumbleweed style homes... and it'd be a single person dwelling... but is it even possible?

Pics and suggestions are welcomed....

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Is a tiny house on a HF frame possible?

Postby KennethW » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:33 pm

You would be better off with a trailer like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2016-7-x-18 ... 2209692332
You would have room for a patio. But you would need a bigger TV.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:53 pm

mikeschn wrote:So here's the question of the day...

Is it possible to build a tiny house, on a harbor freight trailer? tumbleweed style?

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Granted we are talking about a radical downsizing from the tumbleweed style homes... and it'd be a single person dwelling... but is it even possible?

Pics and suggestions are welcomed....

Mike...

I can't see how given the weight limitations of that trailer. I'd recommend getting a more robust trailer.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:35 am

I would say yes but only if the tiny house was not towed far. Once it is at its permanent location the trailer frame can be supported with a sort of foundation. I don't think towing is a first design consideration with tiny houses.

Because you asked this question I wonder if you have thought much about what you will need to build. It will be more of a tiny standy inside rather than one of the shrunken designs you've referenced. The heavier materials and height of a tiny house design may impact just how light a trailer you can use.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:10 pm

House hell I put a whole barn on a 5 x 8
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:26 pm

only if it weighed less than the rating of the trailer fully loaded. The frames on those shouldn't be trusted with much weight, let alone the axles and wheels.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Yea, I gave it some more thought...

A tiny house requires a kitchen, a bathroom and a bed, and a dining room table...

Since building up on such a narrow trailer is not safe, the only option is to build lengthwise.

And the best I could do is this design...

And yes, I know, it doesn't look anything like a small house...

Now I just have to figure out if modifying this into a small house adds any benefit...

Mike...

P.S. And if I want to add a shower, all bets are off. Back to the drawing board...!

P.P.s. This is the smallest one I could find...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:21 pm

I think anything "house-like" would end up in the 1000's of pounds. The "tiny houses" on wheels are travel trailers with heavier stuff in them, like porcelain toilets, and tile floors. I think a light one would be 10K lbs.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu May 12, 2016 2:55 pm

mikeschn wrote:Yea, I gave it some more thought...

A tiny house requires a kitchen, a bathroom and a bed, and a dining room table...

Since building up on such a narrow trailer is not safe, the only option is to build lengthwise.

And the best I could do is this design...

Mike...

P.S. And if I want to add a shower, all bets are off. Back to the drawing board...!

P.P.s. This is the smallest one I could find...

MIke,
in and of themselves TIny Houses are a good thing, but as Bob has shared with us, most communities are not willing to embrace the 'less is more' concept. I think what you shared here is about the 'smallest' you can put on a HF trailer, true, it has 'the basics' including a porta pottie. Once you build one, you still have to have a spot to Use it. Solve That problem and design then becomes the easy part.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby s60088 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Great post because I'm doing this now with an HB trailer bed said to carry up to 1,720#. Here is my post from a recent thread here not yet answered. (New to site).

I have materials in my garage ready for application to my 1,720# bearing trailer bed. I have pressure-treated lumber to carry the cantilevers beyond the steel frame and 3/4" regular plywood. I've counted my base lumber to be about 400#! I intend to make the walls using steel framing (1-5/8" studs & track using hurricane straps at the roof eaves, rigid insulation, marine-grade 1/2" ply outside w/building wrap and metal sheeting, 1/4" beaded waitscot inside).

Am I making huge mistake adding this much load in framing and flooring? I like the idea of the weight and security at bottom with lighter above. I read that steel studs weigh 2/3 that of wood... not so great a savings comsidering their being more timely to construct.

This won't be a travel TinyHouse. Just has to make it down 200 miles to my land where I intend to move.

Would love ideas....comments on this because I really want to start this week and wonder if I should exchange my wood for thinner ply and maybe go with all metal framing.
s60088
Teardrop Inspector

Postby VijayGupta » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:30 pm

I can think of a couple of reasons not to:

I'd like something welded, not bolted together.

If it's heavy enough:
- You may want trailer brakes
- Depending upon where you tow, you may need brakes or break-away brakes http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark959 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:18 pm

porta toilet could be sitting inside a shower pan, less stink in the house if its vented too. Then you get the shower and the toilet in the same location, and only need gray water tank.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 am

Mike, you've resurrected the Kamp Master! lol

Guys ... I don't want to sound like am armchair snob ... but there are Tiny Houses, and there are RVs. And (as you all know), you don't frame, side, roof, wire, plumb or finish the two the same way. Anybody every try to wire (at all to code) a 2x2 stud frame with a 2-gang GFCI outlet and 3-way switch? Good luck!
Building a lightweight RV is one thing; building a lightweight "house" on a Chinese farm trailer will violate every code in the book! :frightened:

If you just need to move a Lilliputian Tiny House once or twice in rural country ... why not build it on skids? If you want a mobile residence, lightweight, on wheels, with the bare necessities - well, you've just invented the RV! :lol: Or at least a cargo trailer conversion.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels