flea market fliver

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

flea market fliver

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:21 am

Just yesterday i picked off a sweet deal from our local Craigslist. Pristine Simington Premier windows all were 20 wide by 30 tall single hung windows. These were slightly smaller than standard a they were salesman's samples. They actually have a little carrying case and stand built into them for display at trade shows. The cases will be removed and repurposed perhaps as a small display case for small wares at the flea market shows. These sample windows are a great size for a tiny as they fit great in a shell framed at 24" o/c with little extra framing. They retail at about $175 dollar per windows ! The best part is that I paid $20.00 each. Often these display samples can be found by simply asking a lumberyard or window replacement company. This is about the 4th time I have found this type of window source.

Here is where they are going.....

Low E and argon filled single hung salesmans samples :D

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: flea market fliver

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:27 am

That is one cool step van bobhenry. I saw a custom chopped step van driving down the street this weekend. The chopped top made the square van look sleek. It didn't hurt that the body was entirely polished. It appeared to be stainless steel but probably aluminum.

Those little windows would be nice for a bathroom also.

Tom
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Nansplace » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Throw in a mattress and some camping gear and you've got yourself a motor home!!! :thinking:
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Well if all goes as planned the truck will have the brakes and even the emergency brake repaired this Sunday. Then the plates ,and the insurance, and then out goes the pretty white corrugated steel. I will then add 2x4 nailers to the steel ribs and insulated zip panel will be added to the walls nailers and also floated over the floor. That might quiet it down a bit. Right now it kinds sounds like you are in a steel garbage can with someone beating it with a stick.

Page two : Then in go the windows I was bragging about. Might as well get out the heat gun and start removing the vinyl lettering and pretty it up a bit. I would like to remove the rear roll up door and replace it with an atrium window door combo that I have drawing dust. I would also like to install a drawbridge style let down security door that will become a combination patio and flea market wares table when at the sales. And on and on ~~~~ Meanwhile I am building all kinds of wood crafts and flea market goodies and still have a 1/2 finished caboose in need of the solar and wood heat unit being built. And somewhere I need to build a chicken coop and a implement lean to shed addition to the barn for the landlady. I think I will have a busy spring hurry up and straighten out weather :NC Thank God for my 4 day weekends every weekend. :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:36 am

Here it is a month later and two weekends into the brake saga....... Or should I say break saga..... Broken springs and played hell finding an outlet for a new unit. Well it is 32 years old ! Here are a few pictures of the fun so far.

Main leaf in two parts that's not good !

The mess !

New unit finally installed ! Now to get the axle back in place and the brakes installed.

I may rename this truck " The money pit "
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:43 am

Well Bob, you will be able to seriously overload the truck now that it has new springs. :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:08 am

Careful with those kinds of stands on asphalt as the weather warms up, they'll just sink right in. I even need a plate under my floor jack in summer or the wheels dig in just in the couple of mins it takes to get it in the air.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 am

That 28 foot circle is 1940's harder than hammered hell concrete about 16" thick. It was one of a half dozen pads for grain storage silos. It is really nice to roll around on , on a creeper. :D

Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Ohhhh it's weathered/lichened blackish, looked like dusty asphalt.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:40 pm

IT LIVES >>>>>>

4 WEEKENDS AND A LOT OF CUSSING.....

The flea market fliver is road ready. :applause:

Time for plates and insurance !Image

The Goldwing is rolling out of these shop this coming week Image

and the big Gold Grand Wagoneer is ready for the road again.

There is a big hole in my wallet but it is SO good to have everything running and road ready again.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:42 am

Well I am still trying to outsmart the BMV ! So far , BMV 5 Bob zero. It seems you are a non person if all you have is a post office box for an address. As such you need proof of a physical address to get plates for a vehicle. ( I think I now understand why homeless people don't drive ) I went in yesterday for my 5th trip and just plain lied and implied that I still lived at the old address on my drivers license. I opened up another can of worms trying to get an RV status for the Flea market fliver. I did some research and can save 100.00 + by having RV plates vs 3500# + commercial truck plates. So out form under the BMV desk comes yet another form. I now have to have a police site inspection for a body Change to an RV. Well it's all B.S. because the body doesn't actually change. So yet another hurdle to be negotiated. :?
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Philip » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 am

Bob stay away from 3500# plates. Remember the plate pound rating have to be above the empty weight of the truck and any load it carries. That truck is most likely around 5 to 6K pounds empty.

A IHP officer with the DOT emblem on his shoulder will pull you over when he sees a 3500 plate on a 1 ton dual rear wheel truck.

Last I heard overweight tickets were still running $1. a pound above rated plates.

On the RV plates. If you would get stopped and it is setup for a camper no big deal. If its full of flea market sale items and no living quarters. That would lead into as big of problems as the under weight plates.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:18 am

I don't know what I wound up with yet but I bought $173.00 worth of it. Have the temp paper plate and $346.oo worth of insurance for the year. Now I just have to sell 40 or 50 little 2 step, step stools to get back even.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 pm

Well the little step stools are now on the floor and for sale as a friends boutique !

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:07 am

Got bored and decided to play with MS Paint and made a crude drawing of one wall of the fliver. A miter saw station that can be used as a food prep counter as well. Storage under will be for power tools in their cased ( the turquois and black squares). The red square is a compact table saw. The blue squares are hassock type seats with storage inside for small expendable items such as fasteners ect. The other one may be used for some camping style dishware. The two very thin squares to the right are a fold out clam shell peg board that will swing open to the side wall and mounted to a wall immediately behind the driver seat. The square to the left is a chalk board with a let down face for a table. Above it is a fold up clamping style saw horse. Shelving above will be fitted for a tool rack with appropriate holes and fixtures to organize smaller hand tools, drill and router bits etc.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels