Tiny houses are being built in my old home town

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Tiny houses are being built in my old home town

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:39 pm

I was born and raised in La Junta, CO, and my stepmom still lives on the family farm there.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/ ... -at-a.html

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Re: Tiny houses are being built in my old home town

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:40 pm

That may be a good thing. Only time will tell.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rruff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 pm

I think the supposed newness of this is a little odd. Tiny House = trailer. Basically. Marketing is the biggest change.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:06 pm

MARKETING IS NOT THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE , ZONING IS ! Folks love the idea but where to build it without interference is a problem. Where to park it and be left alone is an even bigger problem. The tax base is predicated on bigger more expensive homes generating bigger tax dollars, The tiny home is a threat to this revenue stream for local and state government. Yet there are homeless and homeowners hanging on by their toenails trying to remain homeowners by cutting much needed corners for the roof over their head. I let go and did a free fall out of homeownership allowing my home to go into foreclosure. No I am not proud of that fact but I spent 2 years trying to work with the bank and government agencies to keep my house of 20+ years. A house I had poured almost 75,000 dollars into and thousands of hours of my own time to hone it to the home I wanted to cruise out of life in. It wasn't fancy. Nothing that would cause you to stop and stare but it had been rebuilt from the inside out almost exclusively by my own hands. So it was not without tears and crushing heartache that I let it go. The bank sold it to the next guy after my begging and pleading for any concession for $3000.00 . I had almost 45,000 in the new 14 x20 ,from the ground up, kitchen addition which led to a new roof and siding to the home just to tie it all in. I built my tiny caboose in the driveway during the foreclosure time and bought a scrap of land from the state to place my 8x20 caboose onto. After placing it on my new property I was fine and threatened by local zoning to the point I had to abandon this dream and move on. In the next county I was beneath the 700 sq ft minimum and was now it THEIR crosshairs. I had to have a place to live so I rented a large storage building of 3000 sq ft with 14 foot ceilings and built a second tiny hidden inside where I call home today. I was able to place my tiny home on wheels in a 4th Yes 4th county where it has been for almost 2 years with no blessing but no curse as well. Maybe I will be able to enjoy it finally. During this 4 year adventure despite fines and moving costs I have paid off every dime I owed the world (except the bank). It felt so good to finally escape the 14k of credit cards strangling me and to reach the end of vehicle payments. I recover a harassing phone call last week from a collection agency that has apparently bought the foreclosure from the bank. It was a very interesting conversation. I was advised I now owed 86k plus and they wanted to know how I intended to pay it. ( It was 60k ?? when I bailed) I told them I was incapable as I was "homeless" (neither of my tinies are legal) I reminded them the bank took the home but they insisted that the contractual agreement STILL had to be met! I pressed forward. And when I have paid this debt will I once again be allowed into my home. Will they replace the kitchen back into the room I built it into and return it as it was found. They assured me that may not be possible. I pressed on, by adding " You mean if I fulfill my contractual agreement you as representative for the bank will not transfer title free and clear and return the home to me as you received it? He assured me that this would be impossible ! I asked why I would fulfill the contractual agreement if they as representatives of "the bank" have no intention of fulfilling their end of the contractual agreement of giving me back my home free and clear. The voice excused himself and assured me he would LOOK INTO IT ! I love verbal fencing !!!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rruff » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 pm

bobhenry wrote:MARKETING IS NOT THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE , ZONING IS !

Can't you put them in trailer parks?
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:16 pm

If they are being used for the poor and homeless, they will probably be put into special tiny home trailer parks; and the cities will approve those just to try to take care of the growing homeless problem. But, I'm certain that we will hear more, both good and bad. Sometimes, new ideas take time to become accepted.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rruff » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 am

Even if they are for anybody, why would you expect them to be anywhere but trailer parks, or other places zoned for trailers?
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:10 am

Actually they can be turned away from trailer parks as they are not all RVMA certified. Some mom and pop parks don't get so picky but some of the bigger corporate owned will not let them in.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 am

rruff wrote:Even if they are for anybody, why would you expect them to be anywhere but trailer parks, or other places zoned for trailers?

Mine is snuggled in a back woods ! Had a deer trying to scratch her butt on my overhanging garden window a few weeks ago.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rruff » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:38 pm

bobhenry wrote:Mine is snuggled in a back woods!

:thumbsup: Looks like a great setting. I think a tiny house would make sense for a lot of people. Maybe a tiny house next to a big shed!
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:53 am

Or a tiny house IN a big shed....

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:03 am

500 sq ft tiny house hidden inside!

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby RonS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 pm

rruff wrote: why would you expect them to be anywhere but trailer parks, or other places zoned for trailers?

Most of us are in America, the supposed "land of the free". Why WOULDN'T you expect to be able to live in the home of your choosing, on your property, where ever that may be? That's the problem, we've allowed the gov't to grow far too big, and have given up way to many of our rights. The founding fathers would be ashamed of what we've allowed this country to become.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby rruff » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 am

RonS wrote:Why WOULDN'T you expect to be able to live in the home of your choosing, on your property, where ever that may be?

I don't have a problem with laws regarding what you can build in parts of town. But when you buy 40 acres an hour outside of town, and the county is *still* telling you what you have to have, that's just silly.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels