Vardo Build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Vardo Build

Postby jkeane » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi folks. I'm building a Vardo on a 12ft frame using 2x2 walls with insulation, vapour barrier and 1/4in plywood sheating inside and oit. I plan to wrap it in tyvec. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what I could use for a final outer skin? I'm thinking somethng that's light and it really is just aesthetics. Any ideas besides tongue and groove strips?

Cheers
jkeane
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Vardo Build

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:41 am

If you were to move up to 7/16 for your outside sheathing I would suggest you look into the zip panel products. The fiberglass face protects the exterior and holds paint very well. It has held up well for me on the caboose. I glued and screwed on the zip panels and sealed the gaps with 100% silicone then capped the joints with the batten boards attached with finish nails. I also faked in one at 24" between the 4' seams for the board and batten look.

Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: Vardo Build

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:49 am

It does also come with the insulating foam already glued to it. Here it is with the insulation. I installed it in the house in a house by simply plowing out the foam where the stud would go. It was a little bit of work but I found the extra insulation worth it. I wish I had known it was available when I built the caboose as the panels for it DID NOT have the insulation and were just uninsulated panels.

Here it is going in the pantry.......

It was going to receive shelving and some rough service so I opted for the fiberglass face for durability in lieu of drywall.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels