DEPOT

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: DEPOT

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 am

Well no pics but all the legged trusses are standing squared and mid span blocking (also acts as a drywall nailer) is installed at 4' height off of floor. Got a few of the purlins set but my help and I got into a deep discussion on how best to configure the actual roof decking. I still have a very abundant supply of 14" x 8' plywood rips. I am starting to think about running the plywood top to bottom across the purlins then a layer of ice dam sheeting as a secondary leak stop since the roofing is used. I will of course seal all the preexisting holes if they are not occupied by a washer equiped fastener. Time to drag the windows to the site and experiment a bit with their placement.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 pm

THURSDAY :Well the knees are really upset with me but I forged onward. Got all the purlins laid out and marked for correct placement. I couldn't get them up yet as I could not install the center truss that rides over the entry door and the window directly across. This truss rides on the full length 2x8 header. I needed two 14 foot 2x8's that I still need to purchase. Made a short day on the Depot and did a little field work for the land lady. Had two trees down so I cut a portion and some of the punky stuff was dragged to the brush pile. I limped to a halt and called it a day.

FRIDAY: Friday morning I set fire to the brush pile and went to Menard's about 10:30 for the two missing 2x8x14's and yet another box of 3 1/4 " construction screws. Yeah it's black friday but so what it's a damn lumber yard. People don't buy lumber for Christmas! HOLY STROMBOLLIE the crazies were parked clear out in the grass. I took one look and said the Hell with it!

With the roof work at a standstill for want of missing lumber, I decided that at 57 degrees there were few days left that I could roll on the polar seal roof coating on the plywood deck. I decided to roll on a gallon of the coating I had purchased about 3 weeks ago. It got me two good coats as the stuff dries to the touch in about 20 minutes. I went to the back of the property and retrieved my 275 gallon bulk liquid tank and wrestled it into the pickup and from there into the Depot. Framed above the tank side to side to establish the sleeping berth above and added some partial wall plates for the rear wall. Still working that mess out as I go. I want an insulated rear wall with access for the tank to be removed if ever needed so an insulated access panel of some kind is in order. Picked up my toys about 3 pm and called it yet another day !
Last edited by bobhenry on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: DEPOT >>>coincidentally, a Home DEPOT side-story

Postby working on it » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm

bobhenry wrote:...Friday morning I set fire to the brush pile and went to Menard's about 10:30 for the two missing 2x8x14's and yet another box of 3 1/4 " construction screws. Yeah it's black friday but so what it's a damn lumber yard. People don't buy lumber for Christmas! HOLY STROMBOLLIE the crazies were parked clear out in the grass. I took one look and said the Hell with it!....
  • I've never shopped on Black Friday before, having always worked on that day since before it became acknowledged as the busiest shopping day, but after almost two years of retirement, I finally ventured forth, to Home Depot. And yes, we primarily went there for lumber (plywood & beadboard).
  • I didn't want to deal with the crazies, but there probably weren't many at that store, as opposed to stores that stock clothing or the latest electronics, but I still waited 'til after noon to go. The store was packed, and it took twice as long to get the boards cut for my wife's project, but not too bad a wait. The wife bought a ceiling fan, a 1/2" plywood sheet, a beadboard panel, and an impulse buy...an electric train decoration for the first Christmas tree in the new house. I bought some OSI Quad sealant, some Spax screws, elevator bolts, washers, and spray paint (all for my rodent proof dryer vent install). And a 20 gallon compressor, a planned, not impulse, buy, having already added a similar compressor to my Amazon cart. The surprise of seeing it still available at HD, made me opt for theirs (I still prefer seeing an item up close, before a purchase). But, we both forgot to get a rolling miter saw stand that we both wanted.
  • I can't buy it online, so I dread having to return today, because the crowd will increase again, after rush hour. I guess making a single (or double) trip to one store on Black Friday, doesn't qualify me as a typical shopping crazy, but still, I would rather buy on a regular shopping day, if it weren't for the savings (the miter saw stand is $100 off).
ADDENDUM (2 hours later)
  • I just got back from Home Depot, after calling the store and paying for the stand, and asking the customer service rep put it aside for me (a friend had driven an hour+ to get a laptop that he paid for online, and the store said it was there. when he got there, they hadn't put it aside, and the last one had been sold. He waited over a month for the seller to make good his purchase, and they tried to substitute a lesser laptop for the one he thought he purchased. After another month, he got his money back, and went elsewhere for a laptop). I didn't want to make the round-trip just to have the same thing happen to me.
  • When I got there (by the way, the number of shoppers in the store had at least quadrupled since noon, and there were no carts available, either), I waited in line for awhile, and then related the story of my phone purchase, and that the stand should be tagged and waiting for me. It was not. None of the customer reps on duty when I got there knew anything about it, and also said that I couldn't reserve or buy any Black Friday in-store items over the phone. After the third rep finally looked in his computer records, it was found, but not set aside. He then went to where they were (still two left), dragged one back, and completed the paperwork. Then, w/o any cart to carry it, I had to lug it (about 75 lbs) to a distant parking lot, where my truck was. I should've bought it on my first trip!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:26 am

Home Depot huh? I have learned to hate that store. I had a rather lengthy chat with a fellow retiree who was working there part time. As an employee he hates the corporate's lack of care and concern for any of their employees. They were best described as a use um and lose um employer. Maybe that is why the employees seem to not know anything about location of items and the layout of the store, I made 2 trips and the second was my last ! I am sure there are the exceptional managers and the exceptional stores but OURS just ain't one of 'em.

I have now been in the lumber game for 28 years of my life and to the end of my days will remember my very first manager. He was dragging boards at 10 years old in his grandpa's lumber yard and grew up in the business. He had an open door policy where ANYONE could address a care or concern. His success led him to a bigger more lucrative position in a larger flagship store and we lost him. The next manager was a skirt chasing asshole and I told him point blank how I felt about him and out the door I went.

No I will never have ulcers :D

Maybe Sunday morning while all those Christmas loving fools are in Church I can sneak in and get 2 damn boards and a box of construction screws. If not my project may be put off until January 3rd :rofl2:
Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Well Sunday Menard's was much closer to normal, busy but doable. Got the 2x8's for the continuous headers and reloaded my construction screw supply and now another $74.00 is to be tacked onto the cost list update. Help will be here Monday and with some luck I may have the start of a roof on the Depot. Will have a boat load of pics Tuesday to show the progress.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Well the header is installed on both sides. The missing center truss ( without legs) is now installed on the headers. A large portion of the purlins are in and about 1/3 of the 1/2 plywood sub deck is now installed. Lets see what pictures I can add tomorrow at work.

Update :x The format from the borrowed camera seems to be incorrect for the work computer (apple vs MSdos I guess) So all was for nothing.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 am

3 gal of fence post sealer $30.00
5# box of 2” construction screws $24.00
Hangers and plates $20.00
Insulation $25.00
4x4’s and more hangers $30.00
Trailer load of free plywood $ 0
Two 4x10 sheets of cement board $ 0
Discounted lumber guess $50.00
to be determined
Carriage bolts $ 7.00
found steel roofing (update) $30.00 Gave our driver $20.00 and the company $10.00 for the "scrap" steel.
UPDATED 11/6
Borax for insect barrier $7.00
aerosol foam and a large paint brush $14.00
more fasteners and simpson hangers
and a gallon of Polar seal roof coat $63.00
UPDATED 11/11
outside help $45.00
ST $345.00
update 11/20
outside help $50.00
2x8's and construction fastners $73.00
outside help $55.00
new ST $523.00
12/4 outside help $50.00
new sub total $573.00
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:10 am

Well the roof is missing one sheet of plywood from being totally sheathed. This will be covered with 1 layer of 1" foam and then the steel roofing. (I miss my poor ran over camera. I have gotta get some pictures very soon).

Monday was a gorgeous day for December and I put my roof rat on top and just kept feeding him materials. While he was busy I started framing in bottom plates for the pooch out walls and custom cutting plywood as needed for the roof sheathing. My knees were screaming at me so I was not much help on a ladder making Mouse's job a bit tuffer but he didn't complain. We are about 1 hour from a complete sub roof. I think I will protect it with peel and stick ice dam membrane to keep it safe from the rain and snow coming in case we don't get the steel on before bad weather. We are turning towards getting the zip wall sheathing panels on the stud legs to weather in as fast as possible. I have 3 foot by 4 foot cut offs of insulated fiberglass faced osb panels saved from the trash after our plant pre-framed a big assisted living center job . This "Scrap" will become the sub siding panels. Now you may see my reasoning for 3 foot on center stud column spacing. I will need to remove a small portion of the polyiso insulaion where it nails to the stud and the remain insulation will protrude into the wall cavity where it will be joined by another 4" thick billet of foil faced polyiso cut to fit. this should plane out the cavity to just level with the face of the inside stud face and help add strength to the interior wall sheathing. I have about 8 sheets of 4 x 10 1/2" drywall that will probably become a large portion of the interior wall sheathing. Well all I can do is hope for a few more warm days and keep swinging for the fence.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:37 am

"Well all I can do is hope for a few more warm days and keep swinging for the fence" Well so much for wishing ! Here it is 20 degrees and spitting snow.

I love Indiana weather :x

Still gonna give it a couple hours and then go back to the house in a house shop storage facility and gather up sheathing panels and a few of the windows and doors to take to the build site. I have 4 days free to build and the forecast is bitter, bitter, bitter.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:58 am

WELL Frank and I gave it 4 hours total Sat AM before we were cold thru and thru. The sub roof is now complete.

Sunday he and I spent 2 hours digging out all the 3x4 zip panel cut offs over at the house in a house storage building.

We were gonna load the windows and doors also but ran out of truck. :roll:

Here it is Monday and I hope to get some of the panels on the depot as the sub siding.

:pictures:

I have gotta get some pictures today!
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 am

If anyone is out there here are some more pics.............

found a heavy duty shelf bracket for a super hold down.

here is a good shot of the unorthodox framing connection ( look ma no top plate )

The scrap in patch on the south facing steep roof

In the middle is the flying truss over the pooch outs it simply sets on the continuious header.
You can see the back side of the zip wall's 1 1/2 insulation in this picture also

the header resting in the notch with four 3inch construction screws as fastners.

My water tank under an old box spring as a design experiment.

Here is the scrap zip wall being installed
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pchast » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

that looks pretty good Bob. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:19 am

Hope it looks a lot better this weekend. We have 2 good days coming up with temps in the 40's and some sunshine so maybe we can get a large portion of the zip wall sub siding put up and the steel roofing applied to the plywood sub deck. Yes it is still fun even in the cold ! :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am

Friday was a shopping day ( see caboose thread )

Sat I was in route to get my helper and he called and begged off.

Waited until about noon and was cursing myself for wasting a beautiful day so I went to work on the depot. I cut and installed 64 sq ft of the zip wall on the rear of the depot. and measured my two free crank out casement windows and rough framed for their installation today (Sunday) Doesn't look like much in print but it was just a bit over 2 1/2 hours of work. With my knee killing me and my tired old back aching I gave up and put the tools away. I had a pot of chili in the crock pot and it was calling my name so I sat down to dinner and a bit of TV. Thank God for Icy hot and aspirin. :roll:
Last edited by bobhenry on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:22 am

The opposite side looks like this also NOW !

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels