Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby Micro469 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:56 pm

Doug... I see you're not giving away the secret to cleaning the burners.... :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:06 pm

The burner is the stacked plates that disperse the flame, yours may not be stacked plates, but a perforated strip, I just don't know about that stove. The frame is the portion that surrounds the burner, or that's what I'm going to call that part, don't have the "official" word for it. Yours is rusted. I glass bead them and do a repaint in high temp aluminum paint, you can do the same thing with some sand paper/steel wool or a wire brush. Get the rust off and paint it.

The fount (tank) is nickel plated. If you take it down to the point that there are no parts attached, it can be polished easily on a cloth wheel or by hand with some metal polish. Just don't get carried away with it, you can burn through the nickel pretty easily. The decal can probably be ordered from the vintage coleman site. http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/parts/decals.htm Sorry, didn't mean to make you think I was hiding any info. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:23 pm

doug hodder wrote:The burner is the stacked plates that disperse the flame, yours may not be stacked plates, but a perforated strip, I just don't know about that stove. The frame is the portion that surrounds the burner, or that's what I'm going to call that part, don't have the "official" word for it. Yours is rusted. I glass bead them and do a repaint in high temp aluminum paint, you can do the same thing with some sand paper/steel wool or a wire brush. Get the rust off and paint it. Sorry, didn't mean to make you think I was hiding any info. Doug

Great job... It doesn't lok painted, looks like you got down to the bare shiny metal. Great job!!!
:thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:39 pm

Some of those parts were bare shiny metal....but being blasted, they were a rust magnet...had to paint them!

What I've found is that there are a lot of variables in some of the gas pressure items. One model might have something plated, while another might not, and within the same model it can vary also depending on when it was produced. Like I said, it's a learning experience for me and I've just started. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:01 am

Uhhhh...this thread got me all excited and I ....uhhh...humm... bought some "BLING" for the SlumberMAX!!!
:P :P :P
There are two..one is a 1970 and one is a 71...both are real nice. I've decided to go Coleman fuel as opposed to propane.

The two lanterns will get built in cases in the galley (iffn I ever get to that) !!! Now if I ever get this thing done....
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby satch » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:03 am

Like I said, it's a learning experience for me and I've just started. Doug

Don't worry, I'm sure you will master it soon! 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:24 am

Alright Dave!!!!....welcome to the world of WHITE GAS!!! Nice lantern. It'll work for you fine. These things are almost bullet proof! What's cool, is that you are going to go camping with a lantern that is 38 years old! Propane and batteries....Just say no! I think you'll find that for gas mileage vs. cost...you're ahead of the game. But that's just my opinion, not to mention the nostalgic pluses, ya know what...it just has that "campin'" look... nice lantern...really nice! Doug :applause:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:56 am

doug hodder wrote:Alright Dave!!!!....welcome to the world of WHITE GAS!!! Nice lantern. It'll work for you fine. These things are almost bullet proof! What's cool, is that you are going to go camping with a lantern that is 38 years old! Propane and batteries....Just say no! I think you'll find that for gas mileage vs. cost...you're ahead of the game. But that's just my opinion, not to mention the nostalgic pluses, ya know what...it just has that "campin'" look... nice lantern...really nice! Doug :applause:

You're not going to believe it, but we burnt up 14 one pounders of propane on the last deer hunt, and had to haul the empties out. The thought of switching to white gas (what's old is new) makes so much sense....

Next...the vintage stove... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Juneaudave

Postby rainjer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

John / Dave,

One thing that is highly recommended is tho replace your fuel cap if it has a screw in the middle. There is a design flaw. If you loosen the cap while under pressure it will blow fuel out the vent hole on the side which could cause a flare-up if the appliances are still hot. The replacement caps are available almost anywhere you can buy Coleman camp gear. They a less than $4.00.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:33 am

Juneaudave wrote:You're not going to believe it, but we burnt up 14 one pounders of propane on the last deer hunt, and had to haul the empties out.

That's a pain...especially when you are flying in like that huh? I never found a pilot that liked flying out trash. ;) Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Still using the orginal.

Postby Rarin2go » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:13 am

Glad to see all the other Coleman camping items still being used. Terri and I never did give up on white gas. We are still using our first stove, a single burner, bought in 1964. The second one is a two burner, bought for the 1965 season. The latern is the red one, purchased by Terri's grandfather before 1960. We found a smaller, Model 425B at a local antique shop two years ago, just not sure about the age, but still in the box. The cooler is a red and cream colored "Coke" one found at another antique shop, it is also mid 60's model. I have not painted any of the units and they sure do look used. My son took the two burner to a large scout campout and it sure did get a lot of looks and questions.
Living today and planning for tomorrow.
TnT in Tennessee.
Rarin2go
Teardrop Master

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:21 am

rainjer wrote:John / Dave,

One thing that is highly recommended is tho replace your fuel cap if it has a screw in the middle. There is a design flaw. If you loosen the cap while under pressure it will blow fuel out the vent hole on the side which could cause a flare-up if the appliances are still hot. The replacement caps are available almost anywhere you can buy Coleman camp gear. They a less than $4.00.

Jeremy

Nice catch...I would have never known :thumbsup:

Juneaudave

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:54 pm

This is what the heat drum looks like for the single burner Sportsman stove.:D Danny
for sale on ebay
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:53 pm

Micro469 wrote:
Mark, mine looks a little older than yours, my gas tube is cast not pressed like yours. Underneath I seem to have a bent wire, it doesn't move.... supposed to be some sort of valve??????

That should rotate. I am working on getting you some instruction on how to operate it.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby robert johnson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Here's what I cook with, a Sea Cook alcohol boat stove. It's pretty darn old, but man is it hot!! it's cast aluminum with a brass tank, I made the aluminum splash guard, it goes with my aluminum trailer theme. I actually found this along the road alot of pieces were broken off you can see the top corners still missing, and big dent in the tank. Image
robert johnson
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment