Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby FireLion » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:54 pm

So, what determines the market value of any given item? I was in a curio shoppe today and spotted a Coleman Catalytic heater that was, to my view, in pretty sad shape. There was some rust, the paint was chipped and mostly gone from the cannister. The price was $21.00. I have no means to bead blast it or repaint it. So, was that a good deal? I expect that it'll still be there if I go back to get it in a day or 2. Once again, what determines value? I know about rebuilding stoves and lamps, but this heater is a whole new ball game.
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:37 pm

FireLion wrote:So, what determines the market value of any given item? I was in a curio shoppe today and spotted a Coleman Catalytic heater that was, to my view, in pretty sad shape. There was some rust, the paint was chipped and mostly gone from the cannister. The price was $21.00. I have no means to bead blast it or repaint it. So, was that a good deal? I expect that it'll still be there if I go back to get it in a day or 2. Once again, what determines value? I know about rebuilding stoves and lamps, but this heater is a whole new ball game.

I use eBay. I look at what thing are selling for plus shipping. If I can find it local around the same price I will buy it. I also watch Craig's List. I see The heater for $10-30 all the time on their. For lanterns & stove it depends on the model and how many were made. The newer 220 & 228 model are dime a dozen. A 202 professional was only made a couple years. My personal rule of thumb is i will not pay more than $30 for any one item.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby PresTx82 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:43 pm

rainjer wrote:
FireLion wrote:So, what determines the market value of any given item? I was in a curio shoppe today and spotted a Coleman Catalytic heater that was, to my view, in pretty sad shape. There was some rust, the paint was chipped and mostly gone from the cannister. The price was $21.00. I have no means to bead blast it or repaint it. So, was that a good deal? I expect that it'll still be there if I go back to get it in a day or 2. Once again, what determines value? I know about rebuilding stoves and lamps, but this heater is a whole new ball game.

I use eBay. I look at what thing are selling for plus shipping. If I can find it local around the same price I will buy it. I also watch Craig's List. I see The heater for $10-30 all the time on their. For lanterns & stove it depends on the model and how many were made. The newer 220 & 228 model are dime a dozen. A 202 professional was only made a couple years. My personal rule of thumb is i will not pay more than $30 for any one item.

Jeremy

Your right, Ebay is a good source for the amount a "collector" would pay for any one item. The shipping is the killer. The market value is what any one person would pay for the item. Since reading this thread I've been scouring Ebay and Craigslist for old Coleman stoves to fix up. I guess a true collector wouldn't want to refinish, or alter the original Coleman product, box and instructions as they want it as "original" as they can. Mine are for camping and I don't mind cleaning them up, painting them if they need it and/or replacing parts to keep them functionable. Coleman parts are easy to find and all over the internet and even some at "Wally World".

I'm looking now for a real abused, beat up Coleman 425/426 stove to refurbish and bring back to camping life!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 pm

FireLion....I watch e-bay also to get an idea on what they go for. What you need to watch out for are the really serious (read insane) collectors. If you bid against "birdieboy" forget it...Some of those guys in Japan will stop at nothing to get what they want and it's not uncommon to see a lantern go for well over 800$ Aside from that, there are lots of bargains available.

Thrift stores/ flea markets/ estate and garage sales produce good results also. I'd personally avoid an antique store type of setting. I've found some real beaters that aren't that old with some crazy prices on them. I have also had good luck by just mentioning my interest in them and people will give you one knowing you will probably restore it and use it. Good luck and have fun!

I'll keep my eyes open for you Mark. I may get a "gift" stove that I can pass on to you. Rich got my 426D he did have to pay a hefty price for it though. I made him pay me a compliment on the color of mint green on my trailer. We go back and forth on that color thing...all in fun. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Doug, how is the paint job on the Handy Chef coming?
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Welllll.....things change Jeremy. Still in primer, will probably spray it this weekend. Probably just a single color, no 2 tone. I bead blasted it and did wipe it down with solvent, but there is some sort of grease from years of cooking that has seeped down into the crimped joint on the end. I'm worried that If I tried to tape off a 2 tone pattern, it will lift when I remove the tape. I've wiped it down a couple of times and the primer stayed sticky on it hours after the rest of it has dried. dunno what it is. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:18 pm

This 1949 Coleman 228D was delivered to the house yesterday. Haven't had the time to play with. It doesn't look as good as it did on EBay. A few chips in the top and one tiny ding in the tank but, it's still nice. I know the proper names but... :R It's just for camping with the teardrop, not for collecting. It's a few years younger than I and has a lot less wear :lol: The pump needs a new gasket ( I could use one too :gas: ) so I'll need to find one. Saw a whole pump kit at Fred Meyer but didn't feel like forking over 8 bucks just to get a gasket. It will be a nice addition to the TD. :D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:23 pm

congrats Danny....It's a nice lantern and a great addition to your camping ensemble! Are you sure it needs a new pump gasket and not just a good soaking in oil to bring it back to life? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Danny, very nice lantern. You should not need to replace the pump. The pump in that lantern should be leather. You just need to remove it & soak it in oil.

Here is a link on how to clean and rebuild you lantern.
http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/tech/re_2lant.htm

Here is the manual for it.
http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/scans/220b_1.htm

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:31 pm

doug hodder wrote:congrats Danny....It's a nice lantern and a great addition to your camping ensemble! Are you sure it needs a new pump gasket and not just a good soaking in oil to bring it back to life? Doug

Doug, The seller said it needed one and without any gas in it it seems sloppy. It looks like someone put a lot of oil on it already. I think it's been monkeyed with as the top nut doesn't look like original since there is a shadow of the original in the paint. Also the control knob is in the off position but the arrow is pointing left. The filler cap is brass. The large outer part of the top is perfect and it's dinged in 3 areas in the center of the top and one chip in the vent holes. Looks like it may have had some touch up paint to the dings. I've been remodeling our bathrooms so haven't had the time to work on it yet. Jane is taking advantage of my lack of work ;) . Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:43 pm

rainjer wrote:Danny, very nice lantern. You should not need to replace the pump. The pump in that lantern should be leather. You just need to remove it & soak it in oil.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, those two links will help a lot. I figure I'll get up early Sunday morning, heat up the shop and disassemble the lantern. I have a buffing wheel that will mount on several tools so the nickle should shine up nicely. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby robert johnson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:46 pm

Well TOW members we need to have a Coleman "light up" at our gatherings this summer. Who needs a campfire if there's enough lanterns.

......Bob
robert johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:55 pm

For anyone wanting to polish up a nickel fount (tank) on a vintage lantern. Watch using a hard felt wheel on a grinder for the fount with a compound. It'll burn through the nickel pretty quickly. I've been having good luck with a slower fabric wheel on the drill press using some metal polish.

Danny, once you spend some time with it, you'll figure out what it takes to get it running....

Robert....I think that's a great idea for a gathering...get a bunch of vintage lanterns and stoves out there and show the differences and some of the heritage on what makes up todays camping. You've got plenty of vintage gas equipment to drag out! Bring your iron and press my curtains please! :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:56 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
rainjer wrote:Danny, very nice lantern. You should not need to replace the pump. The pump in that lantern should be leather. You just need to remove it & soak it in oil.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, those two links will help a lot. I figure I'll get up early Sunday morning, heat up the shop and disassemble the lantern. I have a buffing wheel that will mount on several tools so the nickle should shine up nicely. :D Danny

Be very careful buffing the lantern. It is very easy to burn thru the nickel plating. I did it in one spot buffing by hand.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:57 pm

robert johnson wrote:Well TOW members we need to have a Coleman "light up" at our gatherings this summer. Who needs a campfire if there's enough lanterns.

......Bob

8) Bring sunglasses 8) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment