Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby rainjer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:14 pm

KevinS wrote:Image

Sorry if this is on the wrong thread.

I've got a old Coleman Model 425F gas two burner, made in Wichiya, Kansas, at least 20 years old.

The dang thing is in good shape except the pump will not pump up the gas pressure.
:x

Any tips on getting the pump to work?

Easy fix. Take the pump out. If it is leather, Take the pump cup and pull it back. This will open it up like an umbrella. It may take some convincing to stay in this position but it will. Look again for deep cracks in the leather. If none just take the "opened up" pump cup and submerge it in motor oil. It needs to soak at least an hour so just let it sit.

Wipe off excess oil an re-install carefully.

If it is a rubber pump. Replace it. You can get a replacement pump for about $8 at Wal-Mart.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby KevinS » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Is this forum great or not? :D

Thanks rainier!!

I've got the washer soaking in oil now.
It was an easy fix after I realized the whole pump was held on by the D ring poking into the sides.

It didn't twist very easy. :lol:
KevinS
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:37 pm

Bob....great collection of stoves and lanterns! Is that one Coleman a Quiklite? Kevin... do what Jeremy said and I'm sure it'll get-r-goin! Thanks everyone for putting up some pictures of your equipment (cooking and lighting) don't take that the wrong way! ....Anyone else have some to share? I know you don't have it yet George....but we're waiting :twisted:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mike C. » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:15 pm

After reading this thread, decided to go get mine out of the shed. My dad bought these new in 1967 and then gave them to me to use and then when he passed away, they became mine. They both still work and the only reason we don't use them anymore, is because we have a propane Coleman stove and a fluorescent lantern. Got tired of pumping the stove and the lantern. The stove is a 425E and the lantern is a 220F.

Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby dreadcptflint » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:33 pm

RubbinzRacin,
I really like how you customized those latterns. My wife's family are very big into Nascar. Two questions how hard was it to do and do you have any plans to do any stoves?

Matt

[/quote]
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks Mike....I knew we could get some people to drag out their stuff! Not bad for over 40 year old stove and lantern! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby robert johnson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:42 pm

Image Thanks Doug, yes it is a Quicklite the date stamped is December 1924. along with the AGM Kampkook, and the Coleman iron.
robert johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:57 pm

Bob...I have gas envy! :lol: I am planning on a new mica shade for my Quiklite. Someone hacked it up at one time, could use a new frame also, and put on a glass globe, probably back in the 40's based on the age of the glass on it. I need to keep my eyes open for a nice vintage table, doubtful those chairs could hold my fat butt, hey, I'm big boned! . Len has a really nice one also. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby FireLion » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:01 pm

Today, while in a thrift store I spotted (and bought) a coleman lantern that appeared brand new. It is a dual fuel lantern, model #295-700T (I think). That # is on the side. It is silver/gray with a black top. It appears as though someone bought it then stashed it away in an attic or someplace. Except for a bit of dust and dirt, it is perfect.
2 questions, does dual fuel mean either Coleman fuel or gasoline? and, did I get burned (no pun intended) on my $3.95 purchase? :thinking:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:22 pm

FireLion wrote:Today, while in a thrift store I spotted (and bought) a coleman lantern that appeared brand new. It is a dual fuel lantern, model #295-700T (I think). That # is on the side. It is silver/gray with a black top. It appears as though someone bought it then stashed it away in an attic or someplace. Except for a bit of dust and dirt, it is perfect.
2 questions, does dual fuel mean either Coleman fuel or gasoline? and, did I get burned (no pun intended) on my $3.95 purchase? :thinking:

You didn't get burned on the deal. Dual fuel means you can burn kerosene or unleaded gas in it. Hell, four bucks? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:40 pm

WarPony wrote:
FireLion wrote:Today, while in a thrift store I spotted (and bought) a coleman lantern that appeared brand new. It is a dual fuel lantern, model #295-700T (I think). That # is on the side. It is silver/gray with a black top. It appears as though someone bought it then stashed it away in an attic or someplace. Except for a bit of dust and dirt, it is perfect.

You didn't get burned on the deal. Dual fuel means you can burn kerosene or unleaded gas in it. Hell, four bucks? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Jeff

Per the Coleman site, Dual Fuel mean Coleman fuel or unleaded gas, not kerosene.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby WarPony » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Per the Coleman site, Dual Fuel mean Coleman fuel or unleaded gas, not kerosene.

I don't know, I've burned kerosene before and it worked fine. I'm wondering if it's a case of, "If you're not drinking OUR water, you're just drinking WATER."

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Just don't put Coleman fuel in a kerosene lantern! I bought an old AGM at a yard sale and almost blew myself up before I could get it shut off! :lol: :lol:

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 pm

The main difference between white gas & unleaded gas is the amount of additives they put in unleaded gas. White gas is a lot cleaner. I have read, but I don't recommend, that you can run unleaded in a white gas lantern in a emergency buy if you do it over time it will ruin the generator.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:51 pm

rainjer wrote:The main difference between white gas & unleaded gas is the amount of additives they put in unleaded gas. White gas is a lot cleaner. I have read, but I don't recommend, that you can run unleaded in a white gas lantern in a emergency buy if you do it over time it will ruin the generator.

Jeremy

About all I ever run in mine is unleaded. I just keep refillin' an old Coleman can. Never put a generator in either of them. But that's just me, you're results may vary.
Now that gas with the alcohol in it may be a problem tho.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment