Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:57 am

I will when Doug and I are through with them... All I can say is you will probably dig 'em.
Whadya think Doug, should we let the cat outta the bag now or wait until one is finished?
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:58 am

Dean....so what possibly could someone want with a bunch of vintage lanterns? :lol: :lol: doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PresTx82 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:59 am

Might sound corny, but I can cook on the same stove that my grandfather and dad did when I was a kid, the same smell of the white gas and hiss. They are both gone now, but I've got the stove that we all enjoyed. For me those were great times...it cooked my first Rainbow trout!

It's not corny at all. I'm a historian and take pride in my family's historical items. One being my father's Boy Scout mess kit. I was given this many years ago and really never used it until the last 5 or six years. Now I use it as an addition to our cooking equipment when camping. It's a staple on our camping gear. My father is still alive and I think if he even knew I used this old mess kit of his he'd be glowing in pride. Sounds like a small thing, but it isn't.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:01 am

I know what I would do with them. :)

What models do you have?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:05 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Whadya think Doug, should we let the cat outta the bag now or wait until one is finished?

Let's just wait Dean...so much time and things to do...you know, holidays and such.....I almost forgot about what the plan was anyway..... :lol: :lol:

Mark...thanks for "getting" what I was talking about! It's all about family and tradition. A plan is in the works to create something that will be an heirloom to pass along to future generations. That's about all I can say for now...but I don't think any one will be disappointed in this idea. Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:08 am

We have some 200A's but decided to go with the older 242's because they are so much better quality.
I can't tell yaa just yet what we're doing to them yet, but you won't be disapointed, trust meon that.
Our first thought was that the 200's are so easy to get, that'd be the way to go but then Doug got a 242B and then a 242C and noticed the quality difference.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby rainjer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:12 am

I don't have a 242. I have a 202 & my blue Sears is like the 200A except it has a bigger tank. I also have a 200A I am using for parts. If you need a red tank or vent, let me know.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:48 am

And so the idea matures. Thing is....Dean and I have been thinking about something really different, something that will hopefully be handed down from generation to generation. That's what it's all about! Alas...we have no final design and it is pretty cerebral...however, for me...based on our ideas so far, I'd be thrilled to receive something like this and would honestly be very emotional upon receiving such an item. Others opinions may differ. .....what the hell could it be Dean? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:49 am

doug hodder wrote:Dean....so what possibly could someone want with a bunch of vintage lanterns? :lol: :lol: doug

:roll: :roll:

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:55 am

doug hodder wrote:And so the idea matures. Thing is....Dean and I have been thinking about something really different, something that will hopefully be handed down from generation to generation. That's what it's all about! Alas...we have no final design and it is pretty cerebral...however, for me...based on our ideas so far, I'd be thrilled to receive something like this and would honestly be very emotional upon receiving such an item. Others opinions may differ. .....what the hell could it be Dean? Doug

:MLAS
(I've said enough already)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:58 am

I agree Dean....like Barney Fife sez....."tick a lock" :MLAS pretty cool though huh?

All this aside...does anyone have some stories or vintage camping items that they can add to this? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:02 am

Being a 1st year camper we had no gear to speak of other than a few cast iron skillets handed down from my mother. Our Teardrop affliction has taught us to keep our eyes open at farmsales , yard sales , and second hand/ antique shops. In a little over a year and a half my best score was several handme downs from Vickie's brother , a 2 mantle coleman lantern in pristene condition. The production code stamped in the bottom indicates August 1956. In the same basement cleanout he also gave us a 14 QT dutch oven ( The lift ring is hammer welded how old is that?) an ancient 12" spider skillet and a large cast iron bean pot with lid.

A yard sale netted a 60's coleman 2 burner white gas stove top for $10.00. A very old 2 burner gas cook top was scored at a yard sale for $2.00. This is a nice old porcelain over stamped steel cook top with heavy cast iron burners.

I sold my Dakota pickup to an old gal who trash picked as an almost daily hobby as she opened her 2 car garage ( stuffed floor to ceiling ) I spied an old all metal coca cola cooler talked her out of it for $20.00
( shame on me )If you are patient and willing to take the time to look there are millions of bargains every day the trick is being in the right place at the right time.
:thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:10 am

Sounds like you made some great scores Bob, especially on the lantern! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cherokeegeorge » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:28 pm

Lovin this thread, Doug I'll put up a picture when it gets here. maybe today :)
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby len19070 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:48 pm

I have a few Coleman pieces

Everybody has one of them!

Maybe not in Gold

But my real vintage camping item I like to collect is old Kerosene Lanterns.

sorry, old photo

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment