Info Desired

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Info Desired

Postby Rock » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Found an oddball today:

Looking for any info such as fuel type, etc. The ID on the bottom of the primer pan is pretty washed out. I can clearly read "Newark, NJ". The name of the company is in script and all I can read for sure are the last two letters "ha". The name might possibly be "Alpha". Not sure.

One leg has had a hack brazing repair job and the needle valve screw/handle is broken off. Overall it should clean up nice.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:00 pm

I have no idea Eric...I'm really new to all of this. Is it a pressured tank? Almost appears that it's a gravity feed thing. I think it's pretty cool though! I did find a site in the UK for Alpha stoves, but it's all modern kitchen/heating stuff. I suppose it could be related. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:13 pm

I have absolutely-100%-no-earthly-idea...but, If'n I were a bettin' man, I would bet it runs on kerosene ;) ......... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

stove

Postby doitright » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:53 pm

Now that is way cool. Great find. When you get it cleaned up please post another photo.
Kevin
P.S. If you use vinegar wear rubber gloves.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Shelf Queen

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Tonight we are suppose to have 4" - 8" of snow and high winds, a blizzard. I thought I'd get the Coleman 202 Professional, that arrived the other day, ready for a power outage. The guy said southern something restored it so I thought it was good to go. I saw a small blue flame coming from a piece of plumbing and there was gas all over the fount. Come to find out they made it look nice but only hand tightened all the parts. They are filthy inside like my other one was. This one is a little different in parts so I'll have to download the manual. The guy said it was his shelf queen so I'm guessing he never tested it, but said it could be used. You never know what your getting, even from a serious collector. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Good point Danny....a word to the wise....check the tightness on all your fittings. I put mine in a bucket of water to make sure I'm air tight. I had a similar situation on one that I "restored" It had a bad packing on the valve though. I doctored it up with some teflon tape on the packing...and ordered a backup packing. Danny was it leaking at the generator connection? At least you had your 228 as a back up! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:35 pm

doug hodder wrote:Good point Danny....a word to the wise....check the tightness on all your fittings. I put mine in a bucket of water to make sure I'm air tight. I had a similar situation on one that I "restored" It had a bad packing on the valve though. I doctored it up with some teflon tape on the packing...and ordered a backup packing. Was it leaking at the generator connection? At least you had your 228 as a back up! Doug

Yes Doug, that's where the blue flame was. Every nut was only hand tight. I was trying to light it outdoors in the dark just in case it was to catch fire and burn my shop. Thought the gas on the fount was falling snow that had melted on it but found out it was gas. Didn't find a manual for it yet. I was wondering what the white tube at the generator was for. I'll take it apart tomorrow and soak all the brass parts since it stopped hissing. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:42 pm

Danny, I'd think if you have liquid fuel dumping on the fount that there is another leak other than just the generator. I found that a leaky fitting below the globe frame dumps the raw fuel on the fount. If it's at the generator, it just lights up. Just what I've found, but I'm new to all of this. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Shelf Queen

Postby Micro469 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:50 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Tonight we are suppose to have 4" - 8" of snow and high winds, a blizzard. I thought I'd get the Coleman 202 Professional, that arrived the other day, ready for a power outage. The guy said southern something restored it so I thought it was good to go. I saw a small blue flame coming from a piece of plumbing and there was gas all over the fount. Come to find out they made it look nice but only hand tightened all the parts. They are filthy inside like my other one was. This one is a little different in parts so I'll have to download the manual. The guy said it was his shelf queen so I'm guessing he never tested it, but said it could be used. You never know what your getting, even from a serious collector. Danny

I was looking at that one. The shipping was way too higgh for me.....most times shipping is higher nthan what I could get it for. The restoration company was caled Southern Star Restorations....Googled them, but came up Blank......Sure hope you get it working properly. I don't think these beauties were really meant for display only.

:)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:53 pm

Doug, the fuel valve was hand tightened too. I bet it was the source of my leak. I had to play with it quite a bit to get to seat and operate correctly. The part that goes into the fount looks like a sealant was used but I'll test everything for leaks. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:02 am

Danny, you can use the manual for a 200A. It is the same lantern.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:15 am

Thanks Jeremy, I finally found it @ Old Town. :snow Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Micro469 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:18 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Thanks Jeremy, I finally found it @ Old Town. :snow Danny

@oldtown???? What's the whole website?
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Shelf Queen

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:21 am

Micro469 wrote:
I was looking at that one. The shipping was way too higgh for me.....most times shipping is higher nthan what I could get it for. The restoration company was caled Southern Star Restorations....Googled them, but came up Blank......Sure hope you get it working properly. I don't think these beauties were really meant for display only.

:)

I'll get it working John. That failed repair on the back side looks better than his picture and really dosen't bother me. He wanted me to buy a replacement globe so the original doesn't get broken. Figures from a serious collector, I'll use it as is. :snow Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:22 am

It's up in the sticky links at the top John. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment