Coleman 242C Won't build pressure

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Coleman 242C Won't build pressure

Postby bg » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:07 pm

So... my 242c won't build pressure. (1949 Model)

I swapped the pump with one from my 220k and either pump works fine in the 220k.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Check valve or something along those lines?
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Is you tank empty? If not, empty it. After you empty it, hold you finger over the fuel filler hole. Do you feel air pressure? If so, you need a new fuel can gasket. If not I would suspect the check valve.

This may help:
http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/tec ... essure.htm

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby bg » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Looks like I need a new check valve - Looks like a pain to remove.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Take the pump & the air stem out. Spray some liquid wrench or something like that in the hole an let it soak for a day or so. Some times that is all it takes. If not you will need to remove the check valve.

http://coleman.pressure-lanterns-il.com ... emoval.htm

I made a tool out of an old spade bit and used my drill to get out. I had to replace the check valve.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Hey Jeremy...solved the leaky on/off valve thing on this 242, and fired it up!!! Pumped up good...fired excellent...but it is slowly bleeding off pressure somewhere...I'll swap caps and do the liquid wrench thing tomorrow!!! I fired it with the original cap just for giggles...
:oops:
Anyway...she'll be ready for the Superbowl Flame On!!! :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Looks awesome!!! It is most likely the fuel cap gasket. I am placing an order for some new gaskets when I order my Sears decals this week. I can get a couple extra and mail them to you.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:39 pm

rainjer wrote:Looks awesome!!! It is most likely the fuel cap gasket. I am placing an order for some new gaskets when I order my Sears decals this week. I can get a couple extra and mail them to you.

Jeremy

It's got the original cap with the screw and hole in the side...and the screw is loose.

If a gasket will work, that would be great!!! Would it be better (for a working, daily driver, lantern) to just get a one piece cap? These things are alot of fun to play with...Thanks Jeremy for all the tips!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

I'll let you know when I get them & get you address from you. The 242 uses a smaller fuel cap than most other Coleman lanterns. You are kinda stuck using the original fuel cap and replacing the gasket. Based on the picture of the cap, it look like someone used a pair of pliers to tighten it.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 am

Dave, don't worry about the screw being loose....(man, a bunch of thoughts come to mind when you mentioned a screw loose) It's built like that. To replace that gasket, you are going to have to remove that portion from the cap anyway. I used some curved needle nosed pliers to hold the inner cap and backed the screw out. You can apply some heat to the old gasket to help remove it, like a propane torch or so I'm told, I didn't do it. I dug mine out with an awl. They get really hard and crumbly. I've replaced gaskets in all my lanterns. All are holding pressure after 6 weeks, 'cept one...only holds for 15 min...parts on the way, it's the really old one.

BG...I've had mixed results using the modified spade bit. Liquid Wrench will help. When it works, it works well, if the bit doesn't grip the check valve well and you bust off a wing on the valve, it's probably trashed. Then I used a #4 easy out. That requires a new check valve at that point. There is a tool available on E-Bay...but the guy wants like 50$ for it. New check valves take new stems, they are not the same interior diameter as the older originals. Sold as a package deal.

Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:33 pm

Alright - I got the check valve out!

Picked up a #4 easy out at tractor supply and had it out in a few minutes.

I decided to go ahead and tear the lantern down for a rebuild -

I plan on ordering a check valve/air stem and a fill cap gasket. Is there anything else I should replace?
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:58 pm

You're this far into it...I'd get a new generator also. Make sure your tank interior is clean of any particles after you do all the polishing/clean up on the tank. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 pm

You need a new vent also. It should be one piece.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby bg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:53 pm

I see that the vent is actually 'broken' now - I never quite understood that before.

Any suggestion where to source another?
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:06 pm

sorry, but for an item like that, your best bet is a parts lantern or a trip to E-bay. That's not sitting on a shelf anywhere nowadays. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 pm

You'r gonna spend too much money fixing it...... Send it to me. :roll:

Actually, if the vent is held on tightly with the knurled knob on top, you can probably use it just fine for the time being. Then, in the future you can look for another vent. :thumbsup:

The porcelan seems to be in pretty good shape......
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment