Help w fishing pole, lures, fuel

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby hotrod » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:51 pm

on the injured minnow is there a name on either of the spinner blades??
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Hotrod,

No, there are no names on either side of any of the blades, or on the body that I can find.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hotrod » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:18 pm

Ok I found it.. The injured minnow debuted in 1924. The earliest ones had a flat side which yours does. In the 1950s they were renamed "the crip". So that should date that plug between 24 and 50 someplace. Judging by the rest of what you got itll fall someplace in the early 1940s. As of this books publishing the value is 2 to 20$ today, probably more in the $20 range. They still make them..... Musta actually caught some fish! lololol
Ive got soo much fishing stuff I just cant add any more, thanks for offering tho!
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Micro469 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Maybe we should start a Vintage Stuff for sale thread.... That way we can get first dibs on stuff other members want to sell before they dump it on Ebay....... :thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:56 am

That reel sure looks like a reel my Dad had,,it was a Penn...Jim G
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:15 am

Hotrod,

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you.
I've been working very long days on a big project at work, and combined with age... :oops:

Thank you very much for taking the time to help date and price the fishing gear, your efforts really are appreciated!

I get a lot of joy just having/admiring neat old stuff like that.
One of these days, I think I'll restring the old steel pole and see how it works!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hotrod » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 am

Ive got a dozen or so old reels, and a few old steel rods.
I keep one old phlueger supreme strung up on a war eagle rod and I use it when im feeling nostalgic. The steel rods are every bit as sensitive as a modern rod but weigh a little more, I was kind of suprised.
I actually like the old setup for trolling spinner rigs for walleyes. Im usually dragging 1/2 to 1 oz inline sinkers and leeches or nightcrawlers.
Dont expect them to work good for pulling 1/8th oz lindy rigs...
Glad to help!! Paul
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby 48Rob » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:32 am

Paul,

No walleyes here in the farm pond, but there are some pretty hefty catfish...

Maybe I better stick to blugill with the old line... ;)

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hotrod » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:43 am

Catfish would be fun on an old reel with no drag. These old reels actually have some good gears in them and dont strip out easy. For some thumb scorching fun bring one up sturgeon fishing on the rainy river this spring!
I havent tried that but I do know a medium sized sturgeon will pull the dickens out of a muskie setup....
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment