Gas waffle iron # 1

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Gas waffle iron # 1

Postby rainjer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:25 pm

My quest to make a gas waffle iron is almost complete. I have made an adapter plate for my Coleman 502 to hold my Wagner waffle iron.

It is a lot more stable than I thought it would be. I may just have to try it out in the morning.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:36 pm

cool Jeremy! I'm working on an idea using expanded metal or an old coleman grate on mine. Still pretty cerebral at this point. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:41 pm

You know that grate idea I sent you? I can get that laser cut out of 3/16" steel or aluminum for free. One of the guys I work with has a source. I just to provide a CAD file and the material.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Re: Gas waffle iron # 1

Postby Micro469 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:50 pm

rainjer wrote:My quest to make a gas waffle iron is almost complete. I have made an adapter plate for my Coleman 502 to hold my Wagner waffle iron.

It is a lot more stable than I thought it would be. I may just have to try it out in the morning.

Jeremy

Wouldn't the center hole create a hotspot? just wondering if a solid plate would give you a more even heating surface.....
:thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:05 am

John, the center hole is the width of the pan under the burner. I have use my waffle iron on my 2 burner stove several time without a problem. It actually will sit farther from the burner than on the 2 burner stove. The burner is a bout 1 1/2" below the surface of the aluminum plate. I will give it a try like this & I can always adjust it later.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:32 am

I was thinking Jeremy...I've got a chunk of 1/8" alum. plate that I can make an outer rim on to support the waffle iron, leave the entire center open, just some locking studs for the existing grate so it won't move and some some vertical studs to corral the iron base. Drill and tap holes for the studs and use 10/24 screws. It should be removed enough from the direct flame so as to not cause any heat issues on the ring. I figure it will all be removable from the existing base for storage, lift off. Gotta work on that one...maybe Sun AM...I'll burn a waffle for grins! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment