Here's my latest addition

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Here's my latest addition

Postby WarPony » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:06 am

I won this on Ebay a few days ago. It's a 1964 model and looks to be in very good condition. I was suprised to win it because it was in such good shape, not perfect but I hope I look this good when I turn 45 years old!!

There is some paint flaking off at the top of the fount but that is no big deal to me, I can repaint that.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:13 am

Great win there Jeff, I eyed that one very hard Just because it is so nice!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:16 am

Really a nice lantern Jeff!.....looks like someone already went through it, or did you do that? I like those "big hat" lanterns. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Joanne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:34 am

Hi Jeff,

I got the exact same model just the other day too! Like Doug pointed out, I really like the big hat models.

Congratulations on your new baby! :thumbsup:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby hotrod » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:43 am

Theres one just like it hanging under the eave by the door to to our deer hunting shack, no electricity out there! Alot of this "old" stuff is still being used quite a bit. That one goes thru a couple fountfulls a week for at least a month every year plus other summertime hunting shack adventures...
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby WarPony » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 am

doug hodder wrote:Really a nice lantern Jeff!.....looks like someone already went through it, or did you do that? I like those "big hat" lanterns. Doug

I don't know if it has been reworked or not. I don't have it in hand yet, it's being shipped as we speak. Looks like all I'll need to do is put some new gas and mantles on and fire it up...... I hope :worship:

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:23 am

good score Jeff. I'm another big hat fan. :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 pm

I have the same one, I like the big tops too. Bought mine in '75 for 15 bucks IIRC. Bought it off a Coleman rep that lived next door.
Nice scores! :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Jeff....it appears that someone has gone through it. If it were me..I'd pump it up and just let it sit for a couple of hours or over night. See if everything is tight and there are no leaks in it before you put a match to it. If it didn't hold the pressure, something is bleeding off air and potentially fuel. Don't ask me how I figured that out....it can get exciting real fast! :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:25 pm

doug hodder wrote:Jeff....it appears that someone has gone through it. If it were me..I'd pump it up and just let it sit for a couple of hours or over night. See if everything is tight and there are no leaks in it before you put a match to it. If it didn't hold the pressure, something is bleeding off air and potentially fuel. Don't ask me how I figured that out....it can get exciting real fast! :lol: Doug

Doug... How can you tell if someone's been through it?
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:43 pm

John...I'm only going by the condition of the lantern. The brass is polished and the globe is crystal clear. It's just not a barn find, someone has polished up all that stuff, and typically to do that, it has to come apart. I'm willing to bet that that fitting on the control valve that is so polished, had to be off to do that, same for the tip cleaner wire. First time you fire up a lantern like that, there will be some darkening on the brass tubes, especially the generator. They just look too shiny to have been an unused or seldom used lantern. They never look as nice after you burn one. There is nothing wrong with a lantern that has been taken apart and cleaned or polished...just make sure it's Ok before you put a match to it.

Also...paint flaking around the frame rest can be caused or accelerated by it having been apart. It's not uncommon for them to flake there. Just my observation, not necessarily so, others opinions may vary. Regardless, Jeff got a great lantern and it'll run for years to come. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby WarPony » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:31 pm

Doug called it on the lantern I bought.......

First off, it showed up in great shape from the trip from Yuma, AZ so I was happy about that. When I started to disassemble the lantern and REALLY see what kind of shape it was in I saw what the seller had done. He/she/they had taken apart what they could and made it look nice for the pictures but actually screwed up an old lantern by trying to totally dismantle it. When they couldn't get the fuel valve the frame and all the other sh*t loose, that's when the fount got scratched. Well, I got the rest of it disassembled tonight and will take it to work tomorrow and get all the varnish cleaned up.

I think this was a "gently used" item because of the condition of the vent and the cracks in the Coleman sticker on the fount. Hell, even the tube the pump rides in looks like it is brand new inside and the pump leather is held on with a square clamp that doesn't seem that it will come off.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my purchase and I'll show some B&A pics when I get time. Thanks for all yooz guyz help with this new distraction........... 8)

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:14 am

Jeff, there is an offset/bent wrench available for the removal of the nut on the burner frame. I finally got one, but a tappet wrench will work on that one, just takes more jockeying with it. Have fun with your new project! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby WarPony » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:34 pm

All the planets aligned yesterday and the new parts showed up in the mail for the 228F that arrived on Wednesday so I went to work and got it all cleaned up this morning. I added the amber globe and a spark igniter but didn't go crazy and repaint anything because it was in such good shape I thought I'd use it "as is". I'm very happy with this purchase!!

Here she be:

I also got the 220J going, as well. This one I went all out and repainted the fount and frame and replaced the generator, air valve and fuel cap.

Anna thinks a red globe would look cool so I might buy one and see what it is like. I can glass bead my own globe if I think it might be something to use also.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:41 pm

Congrats Jeff, Both are great looking lanterns!!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment