What's a good model Campstove to look for?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

What's a good model Campstove to look for?

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:03 am

In the market for an old Coleman Campstove. Don't want to spend too much... willing to get a fixerup....What's a good model??

[Seen a lot of 425's In real bad condition.....usually because of sloppy storage.]

?? :roll: :thinking:

P.S. Looking for something with 'Character'..... ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 am

John...I don't know what you want for size, but I've gotten mint 425's for as little as 8$, 1960 model at a thrift store, I got lucky, really compact. Picked up a '40 317B for 10$ on e-bay. 413's another popular model were larger than the 425's. It just depends on how much work you want to do and what size/dimensions you want.

Stoves on e-bay typically are a cheaper deal than the lanterns, shipping is more. You'd be surprised on things that no one bids on. If it's scorched, or has surface rust, not a real problem, an easy fix. Hit the garage sales and flea markets, look at the model numbers and educate yourself. that's your best friend for making that decision. If you want real character...gotta go old, but they aren't as user friendly. Just my opinion however. Why not fire up the one you have and go with that? It's a sweety!

Here's a really nice example...sold tonight for 38$ + shipping, not a bad deal since a new 424 dual fuel from Walmart goes for 79$+ at least here...it's practically new!..look for stuff on the East Coast, shipping for this one was 16$ to me probably a lot more for you. Still beats a new one and it's got character! There is lots of this stuff around. If you are into e-bay, don't get wound up on 1 item....another will show up again, give it time. Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 am

It really would depend on the size stove you want. Blue stove in this picture is tha size of a 413. It is about 23" long. The green stove on top of the blue stove is a 425C. It is about 18" long. I like the size of the 413 better than the 425. The one in the back of the trailer ias a 426. It is a 3 burner & is about 30" long.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Endo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:20 pm

rainjer wrote:Image

Jeremy,
What are the 2 silver ones on the ground? Dimensions LxWxH??
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:44 pm

They are scrap metal... :D They are Coleman LP Gas stoves. The fuel was discontinued in 1979. One is original with fuel in it. The other I tried to convet to propane with no luck. I got it to burn but it would not get hot enought to boil water. This was the stove I was going to use in my trailer. They are about 5 1/2"H X 16"L X 11"D. It is almost the same size a 425 without the tank.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Endo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:53 pm

rainjer wrote:They are scrap metal... :D They are Coleman LP Gas stoves. The fuel was discontinued in 1979. One is original with fuel in it. The other I tried to convet to propane with no luck. I got it to burn but it would not get hot enought to boil water. This was the stove I was going to use in my trailer. They are about 5 1/2"H X 16"L X 11"D. It is almost the same size a 425 without the tank.

Jeremy

Thanks.

That stove brought back some childhood memories. I think my Dad had one like that.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Good answers from all. The reason I'm looking for an older stove is I want to redo it to match my little red lantern, and make them a matched set. Would look real cool with a stove that has a torpedo tank.....

:thumbsup:

Jeremy.... Want to send one of those pieces of scrap metal to me???????? :worship:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:58 pm

Endo wrote:
rainjer wrote:They are scrap metal... :D They are Coleman LP Gas stoves. The fuel was discontinued in 1979. One is original with fuel in it. The other I tried to convet to propane with no luck. I got it to burn but it would not get hot enought to boil water. This was the stove I was going to use in my trailer. They are about 5 1/2"H X 16"L X 11"D. It is almost the same size a 425 without the tank.

Jeremy

Thanks.

That stove brought back some childhood memories. I think my Dad had one like that.

Mine too and I seem to recall seeing it not oh so long ago.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment