Preheat a Coleman Lantern ?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Preheat a Coleman Lantern ?

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:30 pm

I spoke with a guy here (who knew nuttn) of course but tried to compare the Coleman to a Tilley or Petromax.

My question is. (and I think I know already) but had to make sure since as you know Im a beginner at this.

Does my Lantern have to be preheated so called before it has a good flame as on the above brand of Lanterns (on some models) ?

I think the reply is no but just had to ask.

Classic Finn :oops: :oops:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 pm

I now have the fuel known here as Lamppu Petrooli. White Gas in USA.

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby hotrod » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:44 pm

How much does a gallon of lamppu petrooli cost over there?
I supopose its a litre tho.....
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby rainjer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Your Coleman lantern does not need to be pre-heated. Just follow the instructions Doug sent you.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm

rainjer wrote:Your Coleman lantern does not need to be pre-heated. Just follow the instructions Doug sent you.

Jeremy

Ok I thought so but had to double check.. :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:01 pm

hotrod wrote:How much does a gallon of lamppu petrooli cost over there?
I supopose its a litre tho.....

I just purchased a canister of 5 litres and it cost me 12 Euro.

12.00 EUR = 15.7104 USD

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby hotrod » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Wow! almost double from around here. 5 litres =1.31 US gallons
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:44 pm

hotrod wrote:Wow! almost double from around here. 5 litres =1.31 US gallons

Everything here is double in cost. Cost of living is very high here. But Norway is still double in cost compared to us. ;) So welcome to Scandinavia. :lol:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby rainjer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Coleman fuel is $9.99 a gallon here right now.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby hotrod » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:55 pm

I'm Norwegian, four generations removed, the first generation to not speak the mother tounge. :(
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 pm

hotrod wrote:I'm Norwegian, four generations removed, the first generation to not speak the mother tounge. :(

Varför kan du inte snakke Norske? ;) :)

I speak Swedish, Norwegian, ok English and my Native Finnish as well as Polish. And the others I listen to fluently :lol: :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby hotrod » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:11 pm

I know just enough norwegian to know when I was in trouble with grandma when I was a kid :-) Where my dad grew in just east of here about 50 miles or so was settled mostly by finnish. Probably 75% at one time. Not the easiest place to live, swampy, rocky/sandy, They make a living there. Probably alot like the home country. Anyways my dads best freind is full finn, his english is hard to understand due to his accent. I loved going there as a kid, they had at the time 7 kids and ended up with 15 total after the older ones had grown up. Suppertime was awesome, all the guys would finish up eating first then it was sauna time! ALL the men and boys hit the sauna while the girls straightened the kitchen up then it was the womens and girls turn. .
spring summer winter and fall every day was a sauna day!
Finn is still spoken there and if you go to the cafe or store in the middle of the day odds are you will hear that instead of english.
A sauna is in the planning stages for here next summer, got my stove stuff almost gathered. You just cant get a good sauna at a motel etc...Maybe then they will quit callingl me muska hoses??? lolololololol Paul
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:14 pm

hotrod wrote:I know just enough norwegian to know when I was in trouble with grandma when I was a kid :-) Where my dad grew in just east of here about 50 miles or so was settled mostly by finnish. Probably 75% at one time. Not the easiest place to live, swampy, rocky/sandy, They make a living there. Probably alot like the home country. Anyways my dads best freind is full finn, his english is hard to understand due to his accent. I loved going there as a kid, they had at the time 7 kids and ended up with 15 total after the older ones had grown up. Suppertime was awesome, all the guys would finish up eating first then it was sauna time! ALL the men and boys hit the sauna while the girls straightened the kitchen up then it was the womens and girls turn. .
spring summer winter and fall every day was a sauna day!
Finn is still spoken there and if you go to the cafe or store in the middle of the day odds are you will hear that instead of english.
A sauna is in the planning stages for here next summer, got my stove stuff almost gathered. You just cant get a good sauna at a motel etc...Maybe then they will quit callingl me muska hoses??? lolololololol Paul

Where about in Minisota do you live? That sure sounds like a good Scandinavian Generation Story. I love it. ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby hotrod » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Im a ways northwest of detroit lakes mn in a little town called hitterdal. (swedish) The area Where my dad grew up is around new york mills, little towns like heinola, sebeka, mehnaga and wolf lake dot the area. Mehnaga even has a big statue of St Urho..lolol
Even as a guest you got a sauna over Kjolinens. Just part of the way it is.. Like drinking coffee...
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:30 pm

hotrod wrote:Im a ways northwest of detroit lakes mn in a little town called hitterdal. (swedish) The area Where my dad grew up is around new york mills, little towns like heinola, sebeka, mehnaga and wolf lake dot the area. Mehnaga even has a big statue of St Urho..lolol
Even as a guest you got a sauna over Kjolinens. Just part of the way it is.. Like drinking coffee...

A lot of places named after the towns or villages in Finland here and Sweden. Amazing.

I was looking at the Minnesota map and lots of places after the Finnish locations. One is Heinola such as you mention. Saunas on Friday or Saturdays and Coffee and cakes or baking is the tradition here also.

I know the story on St Urho. ;)

:o Finland Minnesota too.

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment